The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 AM
DavidE DavidE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm not particularly eager to be without an amp while I send it back so I'll hold off. But I do plan on doing some 'testing' of the issue. I know there have been occasions when I've left it not on the power when not in use for at least a few days, maybe a week and come back and still had power on it so maybe it's a non-issue with mine. It makes me wonder just how long it needs to sit, not plugged in and not being used for it to completely discharge. Are we talking days? Weeks? Months? Is it every unit made before a certain date?


I told them that I gig with my S1s so they’re sending me the new one first.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,950
Default

Hey, Scott,

I specifically asked the Bose Support guy I spoke with last night if this was a specific range of serial numbers... I was told, "No, and it seems to be a relatively small number of units showing this issue."

The problem is rapid discharge, as in going from full to dead in less than 2 weeks of non-use. It doesn't seem to be with the battery not holding up while playing. I generally use mine plugged in, so I haven't really be affected by the issue; just something I noticed, regarding the discharge when not being used.

Typically, this type of battery may lose 10% in a month of non-use. Mine loses all charge within 2 weeks.

I was told "7 to 10 business days" to receive another unit, after they receive mine. Not crazy about that time frame, especially since we are out in our motorhome and I didn't bring any other amplification.

If yours is holding the charge (and from the sound of it, it is), I wouldn't be concerned about this. The early ones were sold without a battery, I bought mine right when Bose started including the battery.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,999
Default

I bought the one of the first units sold in the US. My dealer sold it a day earlier than he was technically allowed to. And, indeed, mine exhibits this problem. I will have to call Bose and request a replacement. Welcome to life on the bleeding edge. :-)
__________________
"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Less clicking, more picking.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:02 PM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I bought the one of the first units sold in the US. My dealer sold it a day earlier than he was technically allowed to. And, indeed, mine exhibits this problem. I will have to call Bose and request a replacement. Welcome to life on the bleeding edge. :-)
I bought mine from the first shipment and it seems fine. It was 80% last night and is 80% today.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM
RockerDuck RockerDuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 1,017
Default

I just spoke with customer service at Bose and I have a new one on the way. I got the shipping label to send my Bose S1 back. Thanks for the info from the op. I probably would have assumed a bad battery.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:00 PM
DavidE DavidE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I just spoke with customer service at Bose and I have a new one on the way. I got the shipping label to send my Bose S1 back. Thanks for the info from the op. I probably would have assumed a bad battery.
My pleasure. I was surprised it wasn't already on AGF somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 PM
ricdoug ricdoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vista (North County San Diego), California USA
Posts: 764
Default

I was one of the "early opters" that paid an extra $99 bucks for the battery and Bose later sent me a complimentary backpack. I never use the fast charge and always plug in for trickle charge between use. Deep discharges shorten battery life. Mine still works great! Ric
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-21-2019, 04:33 AM
Murphy Slaw Murphy Slaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 1,427
Default

I would have never expected it to hold full charge for 2 weeks.

My test is on day two.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-21-2019, 05:36 AM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I would have never expected it to hold full charge for 2 weeks.

My test is on day two.
This is what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 AM
TubeG TubeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
Default

Lithium battery is not supposed to drain in 2 weeks. Bose should be held to a higher standard.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-22-2019, 06:15 AM
Murphy Slaw Murphy Slaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 1,427
Default

I unplugged mine Wednesday morning after reading this thread. It's been unplugged for roughly 62 hours and not turned on at all.

It has been left off until a few minutes ago.

When I turned it on it gave 4 flashes (full charge). I'm going to play it about 45 minutes before going to work and turn it back off, unplugged.

I'll update later.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-22-2019, 08:25 AM
varmonter's Avatar
varmonter varmonter is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 1,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm not particularly eager to be without an amp while I send it back so I'll hold off. But I do plan on doing some 'testing' of the issue. I know there have been occasions when I've left it not on the power when not in use for at least a few days, maybe a week and come back and still had power on it so maybe it's a non-issue with mine. It makes me wonder just how long it needs to sit, not plugged in and not being used for it to completely discharge. Are we talking days? Weeks? Months? Is it every unit made before a certain date?
Seems the original post says bose is sending
him a new unit and a return label for the old one.
So you would not have to be without if yours
is one of the recall units.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-22-2019, 12:29 PM
TubeG TubeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I unplugged mine Wednesday morning after reading this thread. It's been unplugged for roughly 62 hours and not turned on at all.

It has been left off until a few minutes ago.

When I turned it on it gave 4 flashes (full charge). I'm going to play it about 45 minutes before going to work and turn it back off, unplugged.

I'll update later.
4 flash means battery is 75% to 100% charged, you need to connect to the App. To see exact battery level.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM
RogerPease RogerPease is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 233
Default

Murph et al;

Yes, as previously stated, by all means, get the Bose Connect app in order to get a more accurate readout
of the current battery charge level. The flashing blue light is handy but not accurate enough in this case.

The Connect app can also tell you the date of manufacture and whether your firmware is up to date.
Oops, catch 22 maybe, you have to have to update firmware to use the Connect app.
Should be 7.0.10.

If you have an early unit with the loss of charge problem you will have to update the firmware.
You might as well update since Bose tech support will ask if/when you phone in.

_Roger
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-22-2019, 02:05 PM
AeroUSA AeroUSA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 671
Default

Mine was made January 1st 2018. It does not seem to have the problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=