The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Shiny finish

I have a very very cheap kids acoustic guitar that was my daughter's when she was little. I've started refinishing it just for fun. I'm not sure what type of finish to put on it to make it glossy like a new acoustic. Any ideas? Something that is inexpensive and easy to apply is what I'm looking for. The guitar wont be played and is just for looks. Polyurethane maybe?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

You won’t be able to achieve a comparable mirror gloss finish unless you have a power buffing wheel. However you can get a shiny finish using French Polish if your willing to put in the time and effort? Just so your expectations won’t be unrealistic, your first attempt at FP won’t be as smooth as a sprayed / sanded / and power buffed finish.

Hardware store Polyurethane can be applied with a brush and flows out reasonably smooth but the gloss will be much less than modern instrument “high gloss”.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 AM

I have a buffing wheel. Could I apply polyurethane and then buff that?
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 PM

A glossy new finish will take some effort and $$.There are many ways... Stew mac sells a fairly safe water based product by General Finishes it will take multiple coats brushed or sprayed, up to 12 depending on how well the guitar is prepared, use their schedule and safety instructions you'll be wet sanding then buffing. If done correctly results can be spectacular. It can be a fun way to learn then you'll have a new skill.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 PM

It's very difficult to refinish a guitar with the bridge (and neck) attached and have it look successful when done.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diehl View Post
I have a buffing wheel. Could I apply polyurethane and then buff that?
It isn’t that simple. You have to build a finish, with each coat melted into the previous coat, thick enough to sand level, with progressive sanding grits, prior to buffing. It’s this level base of finish, that allows you to achieve a mirror and high gloss finish with a buffer. If you use the wrong finish, you can buff through layers of finish that are not melted into the previous coat which will show witness lines of buffing through individual coats.

Plus what runamuck says is very true.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
It isn’t that simple. You have to build a finish, with each coat melted into the previous coat, thick enough to sand level, with progressive sanding grits, prior to buffing. It’s this level base of finish, that allows you to achieve a mirror and high gloss finish with a buffer. .
This same process holds true with anything you want to high polish. I polish silver, gold, brass and etc, it's all the same. Small scratches become smaller until they're gone to the naked eye.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair