The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Question Humidity on its own can repair a crack?

A salesperson at my local (Kanata) Long + Mcquade gave me some advice: To permanently fix two small cracks on the top of a solid wood guitar top, place the guitar plus a couple of guitar humidifiers full of water, in its case for awhile. The high humidity could cause the wood to re-bond, ie meld back together.

So water is the new superglue. Should I patent this new miracle repair procedure?

No I did not make this up...any truth to it? I know wood would expand if saturated, but...
Old 02-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Well it can close the crack up (in fact humidifying is usually the first step in crack repair) but it can't permanently bond it, you need glue and possibly a cleat, for that.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Forgot to mention that he also said that they had a new guitar on the rack that developed a visible, long crack in the fretboard, but with lots of humidification the crack closed and they sold the guitar.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
Well it can close the crack up (in fact humidifying is usually the first step in crack repair) but it can't permanently bond it, you need glue and possibly a cleat, for that.

Absolutely Correct. Humidifying will CLOSE the crack but will not repair it. When the crack is closed squeeze some Titebond into the crack and make sure that it goes all the way through to the inside of the guitar. That repairs a small crack. Larger cracks require a cleat .
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-16-2019, 09:28 PM

I was about to go drop 700+ on a new tube amp from them. Good to know cause now I'll find somewhere else.

Fleet pro sound is great, if Ian Weston is busy, Jeff McKay is a pretty reputable luthier
Old 02-16-2019, 10:53 PM

Ahh(sigh), as I hang my head. Overhumiifying will close a crack up temporarily, it also causes problems else where, paint lifting, braces separation etc

Please don’t.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-17-2019, 02:22 PM

You can close a crack by adding humidity. Next winter, when the humidity is low again, it will open back up. If you glue it and put on a cleat or three when it's closed it might not open up again. Maybe. I would not have much faith in that fingerboard.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Should I patent this new miracle repair
I don’t think it would be ethical for you to apply for the patent since it was really the salesperson’s idea. 😂🤣😂

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair