The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-25-2018, 02:38 AM

Default Strings for electric, acoustic feel. Anyone?

Hi everyone.
I am Jesús, from Spain. First post here, but I've been reading this forum for a long time. I mostly play eléctric guitar, a telecaster, although I own an acoustic one too. I like to play fyngerstyle, no pick betweem me and my instrument.
The thing is that I miss the feel of the acoustic. Have you ever find a set of electric strings that gives you that acoustic feel, that makes you feel at home? I put Dr strings pure blues 11-52, wound G, but I doesnt do the trick for me. Let me know your experiences please.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 AM

All my electrics get D'Addario EJ21 12-52 wound G, or SIT Powerwound 12-52 wound G. They feel a lot like my acoustic guitars' strings.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:59 AM

Welcome Jesus! I only use fingers. I like D'Addario NYXL.
For an acoustic feel you might use larger strings like NYXL1252w.
https://youtu.be/Ai8M00bOP-I
Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 AM

The only thing I know for sure is that I want a wound G, but not so sure about the strings material. Do you guys find nickel wounds right?. I find my nickel strings too stiff. Not as gentle with my fingertips as the phosphor bronze I put on my acoustic. I may be wrong, must do some comparison tests...
Old 10-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Try Martin Retro Monel strings - I'm using them on all my acoustics now (after using D'Addario phosphor bronze for the last 35+ years) and not only do they have an easier-playing, "slinkier" feel than PB, they're also magnetic so you get the best of both worlds...
Old 10-25-2018, 03:19 PM

reguera: welcome to the AGF!

i would recommend that you purchase a few different sets of strings by different manufacturers and try them out. one set will be the one that works for you. otherwise you are just going on our recommendations and that is very subjective. you can always buy extra wound 3rds if you wish. i like them on some of my es125 guitars as it does seem to give a more acoustic tone to them.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-25-2018, 03:33 PM

I wasnt aware of monel strings, quite interesting. Its a good candidate for some experiments. I know its all subjective, but any input will be appreciated. Good calls here...
Old 10-25-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reguera View Post
I wasnt aware of monel strings, quite interesting. Its a good candidate for some experiments. I know its all subjective, but any input will be appreciated. Good calls here...
I never even thought about using retros (which I consider the best acoustic strings ever), on an electric.
Should sound awesome!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:11 PM

I use Retro's on my Kingpin most of the time for both plugged in and acoustic. I can say that I've had them on my Tele for fingerstyle like the OP describes.

I've since gone to a Rotosound flatwound monel set (Top Tapes), but the roundwound Retro's worked fine on my Tele for a rootsy kinda sound through a tube amp. You may have to adjust the pups a little higher as they are slightly less magnetic.

Give the retro's a try - you're only out the cost of a set if they don't work for you. The flats are definitely an acquired taste I must say.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:45 PM

What about tensión difference between monel and pure níquel? Is It noticeable?
As per flatwounds, I've never tried 'em but they seem interesting. I dont think they will have the feel of an acoustic, am I wrong?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reguera View Post
What about tensión difference between monel and pure níquel? Is It noticeable?
As per flatwounds, I've never tried 'em but they seem interesting. I dont think they will have the feel of an acoustic, am I wrong?
I'm unsure of how the metal alloy in the wound string wraps could impact tension myself. Strings do have different tension "feels" based mostly in my understanding on the core size and shape (hex cores vs round cores).
What proportion of say a .052 string is core wire and wrap wire is not standardized.

Maybe some one knows how wrap alloy can change overall tension and can answer your question directly. The meaning of my reply is to say you probably need to look at other factors other than the wrap alloy material itself as you zero in on the tension you prefer.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-26-2018, 10:17 AM

You could try Ernie Ball Paradigm strings. They have a titanium core, and seem to stay "slinkier" more.

Keep in mind if you play a Strat, the longer scale will make the strings feel tighter regardless. Warmoth does make a replacement neck that converts the guitar to 24.75" if it's the tension. Also unlike an acoustic, an electric guitar top does not "give", and the headstocks and thus strings behind the nut are shorter, which does reduce "compliance" to the string
Old 10-26-2018, 02:11 PM

You're right, Fender scale is part of my problem, I'll try to fix it with a smaller gauge, from 12 to 11 might work.
Material feel under my fingertips is the other question. Which one will make me feel the acoustic vibe I'm looking for.
I'm gonna try monel strings, and maybe daddario chromes next, and see if it's an improvement over my current dr pure blues.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:54 PM

Flatwounds are definitely at the opposite end in feel from acoustic flattop guitar roundwounds generally speaking. My first experience with electric guitar was with flatwounds, including wound g, and I’ve missed the bell like tone to them. It seems string bends and volume went up a la Clapton, including plain G, and it all changed the general norm for electric guitar strings suited to the popular style of music of the time.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Try Martin Retro Monel strings - I'm using them on all my acoustics now (after using D'Addario phosphor bronze for the last 35+ years) and not only do they have an easier-playing, "slinkier" feel than PB, they're also magnetic so you get the best of both worlds...
This! Love Martin Retros (monels) on my electric and acoustics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars