The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-07-2018, 11:57 AM
G625 mistral-k

Default GS mini Top split

I found a GS Mini for sale locally and the owner advises:
"In great condition, except upon moving from California to Colorado the lack of humidity caused a split"
The owner is asking $220 and if that is the only issue, I am considering to make an offer. I am just wondering how much the repair would cost before making an offer, thus I am asking here.

In addition, is this something I could try to repair on my own, without specialized tools, and if so what would be required.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS mini with split.jpg (26.5 KB, 134 views)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Default gs mini purchase

I'm in the midst of putting my spruce-topped GS Mini up for sale, and my instructor and I came up with a price of $250 for immediate sale. There's scads of Minis out there with no damage, like mine.

I think this particular Mini is worth not much more than a hundred dollars. If the seller squawks, tell him to send the guitar to Taylor for repair and you'll pay him the $250 that will buy ten other ones, that weren't mistreated.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:42 PM

GS Mini prices on Reverb start at $370, if that helps...only a handful below $400....
Old 07-07-2018, 01:54 PM

Default online pricing

Absolutely accurate reply about the asking prices on Reverb. But these are asking prices, ain't been sold yet. Actual selling prices are frequently different.

Besides which, speaking for myself alone, if i'm offered damaged goods, the price i'll pay is not the price of an undamaged object less the estimated repair cost, but the salvage value of what i'm offered. I don't intend to go to the trouble of getting a repair done and take the risks of hidden damage and still wind up spending the same as for an undamaged item in the first place.

And in the case of GS Minis, the woods are full of undamaged ones.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
In addition, is this something I could try to repair on my own, without specialized tools, and if so what would be required.

Repair would be involved:

Humidify to close majority of gap, spread (and work into gap) 6 drops of Titebond Original glue with finger (index preferred), clamp across lower bout to hold until cured, rag dampened with water to remove excess glue (inside and outside).

Only specialized tools are clamp and index finger. If you don't have a clamp, rope binding may suffice.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:06 PM

With the correct humidity applied for a few days it will ideally close up, sometimes they do not, in these situations you have to do a splint repair if it’s still a wide gap, you can simply drip fill it if it’s a narrow gap

Taylor use an alphatic glue for fitment of braces, so this is good for closing an area like that up as the glue has a certain amount of creep factor in it unlike a hide glue build.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 AM
G625 mistral-k

Thank you all for the price ideas and responses. I will use them to make an offer and I will attempt the repair myself with Titebond and rope. I emailed the seller, however they have not responded.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

$250 for an undamaged GS Mini seems pretty low.

I would have jumped at $220 for that and fixed it myself

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-15-2018, 01:47 PM

In NY I see I undamaged GS Mini’s for sale in the $350 range all of the time. I’m not a fan so I’ve never checked on any but in my opinion $220 seems like a lot for a damaged one. The real question is what is the value of the guitar after the repair.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Thank you all for the price ideas and responses. I will use them to make an offer and I will attempt the repair myself with Titebond and rope. I emailed the seller, however they have not responded.
It really is a simple repair, just do not rush it, allow it to close up properly with the right humidity and temp

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair