The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-25-2018, 06:44 PM

Big Toe - I think you have your answer here... Several luthiers have replied "no problem" for a standard neck reset on one of these. I recommend you contact one of them for a basic idea of price and then decide if it's worth it for nostalgia's sake or not...

One thing to keep in mind.... "Cheap beater" guitars of the past are increasing in value as they get older... And many also have aged quite well... So they are "worth it" to keep going and do repairs as they are needed.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:54 PM

I just did one, and put a 10-24 threaded rod all the way through the heel. I threaded it into a strap button on the outside, with a nut on the inside.
Personally, I prefer a conventional reset....if the guitar has a dovetail joint. Because of the added touchup required from sawing off the neck, I usually end up spending less time with a regular reset than doing the bolt-on conversion. But if it is doweled (as is the one I did) or a Spanish foot, then it becomes a viable option.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I just did one, and put a 10-24 threaded rod all the way through the heel. I threaded it into a strap button on the outside, with a nut on the inside.
That would be a pretty simple neck reset, saw up through the join, drag some paper, threaded bolt with some glue.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair