The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 AM

Default Taylor 812C or Larrivee OM03RE?

I'd like to ask you guys' opinion:

I sort of have to choose between these two guitars. They're quite different and both sound good:

A 2003 Larrivee OM03RE cutaway (B-Band Larrivee branded UST)
A 1997 Taylor 812C (with factory installed passive Fishman UST)

The electronics aren't a big deal, I'll probably install a K&K PWM or a Baggs Lyric later.

I find the Taylor very classy and high-end feeling, but I'm worried that in the long run a pre-revoiced shallower bodied 812 like this, will not have enough bass or fulness. Although in the hour I spent with it, she sounded quite big for her size.

The Larrivee has nice warm Martin-esque bass and perhaps more woody organicness. But it doesn't have that very precise/pristine sound the Taylor have and less high end 3D sparkle.

They're quite different, and I think I could love both.
The Taylor is going to be more expensive (although the asking price is very good), but don't take that into account, the price here is not an issue.

My style is modern acoustic blues and old country blues with some single note bendy leads. Also more and more slide work.
However, I also still play many strummed pop/rock stuff at cover gigs.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 AM

I have a Taylor GC8, so I'm definitely going to say the 812C. Love that little thing!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 AM

Default Taylor or Larivee

I have a '90's 612 and love it. It has a much larger sound than I expected and the earlier Taylor's just have a fuller sound than they do now.

My issue with Larivee is the fingerboard radius. It's too shallow for me, but that's just personal preference. If you play a lot of barre positions it's something to keep in mind.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM

All we can do is tell you which of these is our favorite.

You're talking about two guitars here which are similar in overall quality. They're similar in overall playability. They're different in tone but it's not like one is "better" than the other, they're just difference.

A friend of mine have a rosewood Larrivee OM and that's my favorite guitar to play, so I'm tempted to say that, except ... it's really about which one speaks to you. These guitars are different enough that you really just have to make a choice - which one sounds and plays the way you like more?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

You gotta decide, but I can tell you that one of my first really good guitars was a 90's Taylor 812. I didn't know what I had and it's one of those I wish I had never let get away! Good luck...
Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM

No choice here. (hear), Bright clean simple tone single string melodies favor the Taylor.
Everything else favors the Larrivee
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks guys, much appreciation for your input!

Cke, you make a good point there.. However, this 812C seems to be able to handle quite a bit more than you'd expect.

The 812C has something special...so many tones to coax out with different attack. And the Larrivee has a dark resonant rich sound. The Taylor is also rich in a way, but at the same time clear.

Haha, i'll have to decide. The biggest thing that bothers me about the Taylor is that if capoed above the 4th/5th fret it starts sounding very small without much bass. This isn't the case with the Larrivee if I remember.

Is that a thing with small bodied guitars? Even high-end ones like the 812?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM

I've had my Taylor 812C since 1994. Love my little Taylor. The sound belies it's small size. Contrary to what you mentioned I find the sweet spot for tonality on this guitar to be when it's capoed at about the 4th fret. I've come up with many arrangements of songs starting with capo 4 because it just sounds in the pocket for the size of the guitar. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 AM

Thanks Etudes! That is good to know!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic blues, larrivee, taylor 812-c