The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Default Fishman Artist wierdness

Channel 2 on my artist, both XLR and 1/4 inch, is way, way hotter then Channel 1. With either a guitar or mic plugged in, moving the channel gain off the stop more then about 1 clock postion from off causes massive volume change, feedback, etc. Channel 1 operates absolutely normally. The Fishman documentation doesn't indicate anything like this. Bought used from Guitar Center about 6 months ago. It's been happening since I bought it, but I've worked around it by keeping the gain and master volume way down, and bringing the gain on channel 1 where I've got the mic plugged in way up.
I'm new to this amplification thing. Got an email in at Fishman, but not open today.
Any ideas?
Scott
Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM

Make sure the PAD button is not engaged (pushed in) on the channel that is not as loud as the other. It's the little button right next to the inputs...
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 PM

Default pad button

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Make sure the PAD button is not engaged (pushed in) on the channel that is not as loud as the other. It's the little button right next to the inputs...
Yes, I have had them both in, both out, one or the other in or out. The PAD button functions on the suspect channel, but it is still way, way over gaining.
Scott
Old 02-19-2019, 06:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Channel 2 on my artist, both XLR and 1/4 inch, is way, way hotter then Channel 1. With either a guitar or mic plugged in, moving the channel gain off the stop more then about 1 clock postion from off causes massive volume change, feedback, etc. Channel 1 operates absolutely normally. The Fishman documentation doesn't indicate anything like this. Bought used from Guitar Center about 6 months ago. It's been happening since I bought it, but I've worked around it by keeping the gain and master volume way down, and bringing the gain on channel 1 where I've got the mic plugged in way up.
I'm new to this amplification thing. Got an email in at Fishman, but not open today.
Any ideas?
Scott
Call Fishman and speak with their technical department.

They don't care if you're the original owner or not when it comes to helping customers diagnose a problem.

I'm not saying they would fix it for free, but for something as wierd as you're describing they may want to know about it, or already DO know about it, and perhaps have a vested interest in helping to remedy the problem.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 02-19-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Fishman CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Call Fishman and speak with their technical department.

They don't care if you're the original owner or not when it comes to helping customers diagnose a problem.

I'm not saying they would fix it for free, but for something as wierd as you're describing they may want to know about it, or already DO know about it, and perhaps have a vested interest in helping to remedy the problem.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Yep, just got off the phone with Mike at Fishman, sent RA form, instructions for removing head from speaker cabinet, easy peasy $20 shipping both ways on me, $50 to fix everything. Can't ask for more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification