The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Reverb on guitar or not

For small gigs, if you like reverb on your vocal, what about on acoustic guitar, good idea or bad?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
For small gigs, if you like reverb on your vocal, what about on acoustic guitar, good idea or bad?
depends how dead the room I'm playing in is.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I used to use reverb on my guitar but I have found that it greatly increases the issues with potential feedback while not really adding much to the live sound. Since I started not using it I have had a much easier time getting the live tone I love. That said, I do use some shimmer reverb on a few songs that just need that ethereal tone, if I can pull it off without feedback.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I used to use reverb on my guitar but I have found that it greatly increases the issues with potential feedback while not really adding much to the live sound. Since I started not using it I have had a much easier time getting the live tone I love. That said, I do use some shimmer reverb on a few songs that just need that ethereal tone, if I can pull it off without feedback.
If one used delay instead of reverb, is that better for feedback?

I heard a guy a few months back whose guitar tone was to die for. I asked him the secret and he didn't say much but he did mention delay was the main thing. Man, it was cool sound.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Production value, reverb or not, cannot be underestimated. Every component is used to create a kind of sound. If you really feel your sound is richer with it, please use it. Categorical answers like, use it all the time or never are kind of extreme.

I never had any feedback issues, anytime with reverb. That is a positioning problem.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM

I usually use both reverb and delay on my guitar. But I find myself using less and less reverb the more crowded it gets. Pretty much same for my vocals.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:37 PM

Default Reverb on guitar or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I usually use both reverb and delay on my guitar. But I find myself using less and less reverb the more crowded it gets. Pretty much same for my vocals.

Similar answer here:

I use both reverb and delay on my guitar and just reverb on my vocals if they are available. If not, I don’t mind going dry. The way I set them is as follows. I dial in a nice reverb, turn it up to where I just barely hear it, then dial it back a little so it is just under that threshold. I do the same with the guitar delay. I dial in a nice half second or so delay, turn it up to where I can just barely hear it, then back it off as well.

I’m not aiming for anyone to be able to actually be aware of the reverb or the delay. I just find that the lightest touch of it seems to enhance and richen the sound. If you notice it it’s too much.

If the room is reverberant, I might still dial in just the delay on the guitar, or I might go totally dry. I don’t use any delay on the vocal because I think it muddies up the words, even with just the smallest amount.

I don’t change the reverb and delay settings for different songs. It’s so subtle it really doesn’t matter.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 PM

I do enjoy hearing a little reverb on guitar as well as voice, particularly for a solo performer.

However, my optimal reverb setting is far less than it was in the Eighties. And if a room already has reverb, adding more to it can often be a disaster.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

If you are in a very live room or a room with lots of glass or hard surfaces and you’re having trouble with feedback try adjusting you’re reverb to have shorter decay. This helps. A plate with a short decay works well.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM

If the song calls for it, use it. If not, don't. Listen to your favorite acoustic songs. Some have ambience, and some don't. No ambient effect needs to be 'always on'.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Similar answer here:

I use both reverb and delay on my guitar and just reverb on my vocals if they are available. If not, I don’t mind going dry. The way I set them is as follows. I dial in a nice reverb, turn it up to where I just barely hear it, then dial it back a little so it is just under that threshold. I do the same with the guitar delay. I dial in a nice half second or so delay, turn it up to where I can just barely hear it, then back it off as well.

I’m not aiming for anyone to be able to actually be aware of the reverb or the delay. I just find that the lightest touch of it seems to enhance and richen the sound. If you notice it it’s too much.

If the room is reverberant, I might still dial in just the delay on the guitar, or I might go totally dry. I don’t use any delay on the vocal because I think it muddies up the words, even with just the smallest amount.

I don’t change the reverb and delay settings for different songs. It’s so subtle it really doesn’t matter.
This is what i do as well. I have a few songs
where its dialed up alot for an effect. but most
of the time when i use it its with a bit of delay
as well but very subtle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification