The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Honey Bee OD

I love acoustic guitar for the dynamic range that it offers. I love the connection with the instrument that seems to happen so naturally. Electric guitar, on the other hand, has always been a necessary evil for me. Certain gigs and genres necessitated the use of electric guitar and electric guitar paraphernalia.

I've been okay with a few electric guitar tones I've achieved, but that intrinsic level of connectedness that occurred so easily with acoustic guitar was unreachable.

A few months ago, I was watching some lessons by Tim Lerch on YouTube. This guy is a monster player and a master educator. Check him out. Anyways, I came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eti09udmGvk

My interest in the Bearfoot FX Honey Bee OD piqued, I clicked over to Reverb, bought one, posted up by the mailbox and waited and waited and waited... Actually, the pedal shipped from Nashville (a 2 hour drive from my house) and took a week and a half to arrive, but that's another story. I watched some reviews while I waited and waited and waited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axYZmqvvGiU

After a brief acclimation period, I began to fall in love. To me, this pedal took my base tone a lent it an amount of touch sensitivity that I had never experience before along with some dirt that could be directly influence by how you attack the strings.

This last video is an improvised solo from a due gig with a friend of mine. The Amp is a Fender Blues Jr and the only pedal being used are the Honey Bee and a EQD Dispatch Master for a touch of 'verb and delay. Throughout the whole gig, I never turner either pedal off. I just varied the volume/tone pots and picking dynamics for diversity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK8zAlCsY1Y

I guess the moral of the post is sometimes we get lost in buying guitars and gear and we probably should just practice more, but sometimes, just sometimes a piece of gear can help us connect to the instrument in a deeper way and, as a result, maybe make better music.

Maybe, I don't know. I'll probably fall in love with something else next week.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM

isn't that the reason we all have GAS?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Default the electric rabbit rabbit hole

JD, I too was an acoustic musician for close to 50 years and was just sucked into the electric world 2 years back because that's what the praise band in church needed. I've spent tons of time reading about pedals, and overdrive is definitely the most challenging and also critical because I can't crank my tube amps to point of natural break up, so a pedal has to do the job of overdriving the preamp tubes. I started out with an older Blues Junior and even after putting an Eminence C-Rex speaker in it, couldn't get the tone I was looking for. It sounded tight, boxy, and beamy (very directional). It had a good blues tone when really cranked louder than I could possible use. I bit the bullet and bought a Deluxe Reverb. Wow, a completely different animal! Sweet, rich, more ambient tone and much better sounding lower volumes. At 22 watts, it's way more powerful than I need (usually volume on 2-3) but the tone is to die for. I actually bought a Princeton Reverb Reissue lately as I got tired of lugging the 40 lb DRRI twice a week. Both of my amps sport tilt back legs to get the sound off my calves. At any rate, a black face Fender might make it easier for you to bond with your tele.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars