The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-01-2018, 12:42 PM

Default tool for slowing down songs

So trying to get into fingerstyle, and I'd like to try transcribing a couple of songs on my own. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app or computer program for slowing down songs in order to make transcription easier?IMG_5280.jpg
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster

Last edited by jafranks; 01-13-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Audacity (freeware) or Transcribe! has worked for me.

Gibson Dove
67 Fender Coronado mod
Old 08-01-2018, 03:30 PM

I also like Transcribe!’s ability to import and slow down video.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:34 PM

VLC is a fine tool, for any video or audio files.
https://www.videolan.org/
Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 AM

Another vote for Transcribe: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
I couldn't have put this book together without it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bert-Transc.../dp/178558555X (transcribing some of it myself, and using the software to check other people's)
Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

The Amazing Slowdowner does everything you need for slowing songs. I don't advocate the full version but the free version is great and there are easy work-arounds to it's limitations.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 AM

Thanks guys (and gals)!
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 08-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Also, if you're looking for something to slow down YouTube videos, that also allows you to loop sections of the song and play them over and over check out the Loop2Learn app for your phone or tablet.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The Amazing Slowdowner does everything you need for slowing songs. I don't advocate the full version but the free version is great and there are easy work-arounds to it's limitations.
Just to add: Transcribe, full version, is free for the first month. Registering after that is (currently) a little cheaper than ASD.
When I first got the program, maybe 10 years ago, I managed to just click away the warnings to register, and keep using it. But then I decided the program was so good it was worth the price - and of course I've had all the upgrades free since then.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafranks View Post
So trying to get into fingerstyle, and I'd like to try transcribing a couple of songs on my own. Does anyone have a recommendation for an app or computer program for slowing down songs in order to make transcription easier?
Just my 2 cents. I think you're better off spending the time searching for the tab/notation online, buying it and then practicing finger style than sitting there going 100 times over a section to see if you can figure it out what they're doing. I'm not saying it isn't fun to do and isn't a good way to learn music, cause it can be, but why sacrifice playing time for transcribing when you can just buy the music? YMMV though.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-04-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Just my 2 cents. I think you're better off spending the time searching for the tab/notation online, buying it and then practicing finger style than sitting there going 100 times over a section to see if you can figure it out what they're doing. I'm not saying it isn't fun to do and isn't a good way to learn music, cause it can be, but why sacrifice playing time for transcribing when you can just buy the music?
because (a) online tab/notation is often wrong, (b) it's often hard to follow, and (c) it's pretty much always incomplete. And professionally published stuff - while it may be easier to follow or more complete - is not always accurate either.

It's often very good, of course. (There's a great Dylan site, and also good sites for Nick Drake and Joni Mitchell. I trust those at least 99%.)
But as long as it's not 100% reliable, you're not going to know where the mistakes are, or which version of a song is the best one. Unless you can hear the mistakes - in which case, you're back to transcribing it yourself.

Of course, you may not care for 100% accuracy as long as it sounds close enough, and that's quite reasonable. A lot of the original players don't conscientiously work on their fingerstyle patterns to get every note just right (we're not talking classical composition here! ), and wouldn't always play a song the same way - and they'd probably find it hard or pointless to follow a transcription of their own work.
Personally I often use online tab to refer to when learning a tune - to save me some time, to give me something to work from. But I always go through recordings note by note with Transcribe to check it, and I always prepare my own tab/notation. Where I know the style of the player (if I know they vary how they play a tune) I'll bear that in mind, but I feel an accurate transcription gives me a secure foundation to develop my own version from. I know when I've gone with a "close enough" transcription before, it's only given me a fuzzy understanding, a shaky foundation.

But there are occasions where - even with the software - my ears let me down, and I go with tab I've found (assuming it works); but that's only ever occasional moments in a tune.

As you say - "I'm not saying it isn't fun to do and isn't a good way to learn music" - IMO it's definitely enjoyable, and is the best way to learn music. I fully support every possible way of learning a tune: I use existing notation and tab wherever I can, from any source I can find. I know my ears are not perfect. But in my experience, it's very rare to find totally accurate tab, either online or in books.

But as you also say: YMMV. Obviously one needs a sense of proportion. "Is it worth it?" is always a valid question. (I've sometimes given up transcribing a tune when it's taking so long that I've got bored with it, and no longer want to play it as much as I did. I find that's a useful sign: I don't love this tune enough. No problem, plenty of other tunes out there....)

Last edited by JonPR; 08-04-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:08 PM

I use Capo software on a Mac and it works great. You can loop sections and slow down easily to several speeds. It’s a very helpful tool.

vLC player is another one you can slow down dvds.

Tom

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 08-05-2018, 06:37 PM

If you have Reaper, you can load the audio, or a video if you have one, then change the bpm. It's what I use. In the past I have used Transcribe! which is great, too.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write