The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Eric Skye

Default Gifted.

I thought I’d share an interesting experience I’ve recently had and see if it drums up and conversation. I’m in my 30th year of playing, 11 years full time. I’ve had between 15 to 35 students at any given time, less lately as I’m shifting more toward performance/recording, so maybe in the last decade I’ve worked with a few hundred students. Most of them pretty serious. And I’ve interacted with some amazing professional musicians too. For some people it comes easier than others, some really seem like “naturals”, but I don’t think I’ve ever know someone that is really “gifted”. Or really what that means. I mean, I feel like I’m at a point where I play pretty good most of the time, and sometimes at gig someone will something really nice, like; “you’re gifted”. But I know I’m not. I mean it took me seemingly forever to get pretty good, and if I don’t play for a week, I feel like it takes me a month to get back. It’s always been a passion, and I’ve designed a lifestyle for myself that allows me to put the necessary time into it ( within the context of being a family man anyway)...but it’s never been “easy” to me. Anyway, recently I was contacted by someone elsewhere in my state about maybe working once in a while with his son, an eighth grader that "likes jazz and classical guitar quite a bit”. So I meet with him a few months ago, and I’m was floored because the kid is so smart, intense, and truly a great guitar player. So we do an afternoon of playing and talking and agree to meet again in a few months. So recently I’m playing in his town, and I’m invited to dinner and to do a lesson, etc. This time I’m really floored because he’s completely digested everything we talked about, his reading has clearly passed mine, he’s reading and improvising, comping, Monk and Mingus tunes out of the Real Book on the spot, all amazingly. Then turns around and plays me one of the most difficult Carcassi studies, super fast, super clean, and with feeling, better than I think I could ever play it. Then he plays me Andrew York’s Sunburst, again very fast, clean, and with mature phrasing. I could go on and on. Later at dinner the bomb drops; I find out he’s been playing guitar less than nine months. I’m stunned. I know they are out there, the Glenn Goulds of the world, but I finally met one, one of the truly, gifted.

Last edited by min7b5; 06-06-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:00 PM

Wow, great story. I'm not sure I've ever met someone like that. I read an article about Julian Lage a while back. I'm guessing he's one of those gifted kids too. Makes you wonder what's going on inside their head and how is it that they can grasp a concept and command of the instrument in such little time and at such a young age? Makes me wonder if they aren't reincarnations of a past, great musician. After all, they seem to display a talent, skill and mindset that should take a more time (if not a lifetime) to develop. Not making an argument for reincarnation - just amazed as I'm sure Eric is.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:43 PM

I would have to view that with mixed emotions. First, what a treat to meet and interact with such a wild talent! What a great time and place to get some insights from him. Second, after struggling thru a lifetime of music, to meet someone for whom it is so easy would tend to make me bang my head on a brick wall for a while. Great experience you had. Lucky man! ( I hope I got the gender right, I know the emotion is.)
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 06-06-2004, 05:20 PM

Man that is amazing, I can totally relate because I have been playiing for about nine months and am certainly not "gifted". After (who am I kidding, I'm still doing it) struggling so much to learn basic chords and concepts it bewilders me that someone could just pick it up like that.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats."

HL Mencken
Old 06-06-2004, 05:43 PM

Great story. I have been playing for 24 years. I am by no means a great guitar player. In fact I have resigned to the fact that I will never get any better on my own. I have 2 daughters that are taking piano lessons. During thier lessions I hang out in the music store and noodle on the new guitars. About a month ago I was picking out a basic 3 chord blues rythym when from behind me I hear someone chime in with a schorching lead that makes the hair on my neck stand up. I didn't turn around at first but I did pick up the time a bit.. The guy behind me kept right up and never missed a change. When I finally did turn around to say " good job " there he was.. an 11 year old boy wearing a power rangers Tee shirt grinning ear to ear. I shook his hand and told him how glad I was to meet him.. On the drive home I just laughed to myself thinking about how the young man I had just met will be a better guitar player then I will ever be in just a few years. One thing I will say is that the learning curve in a young mind is amazing. I can see that in my girls everyday.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:08 PM

Its very refreshing to hear those stories once in a while if not more often. I think im pretty young and ive been playing... a little less than 9 months maybe? Its been the most amazing journey so far, but a professional guitar teacher at this point would be sorta nice. In any case, im glad you came in contact with a person quite gifted. They do exist
Old 06-07-2004, 08:14 PM

I suppose it is inevitable that at some point, he will have absorbed all you have to offer. Will it be difficult when you have to admit that to him and his parents?

Pat
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyfolk
I suppose it is inevitable that at some point, he will have absorbed all you have to offer. Will it be difficult when you have to admit that to him and his parents?

Pat

I’m not his primary teacher. He’s meeting weekly with the head of the guitar department at a university in a classical format. I’m the left of center guy that seems him once every few months, when I’m in town for a gig, to offer more ideas about improvisation, performance, and listening. I’ve got him listening to David Grissman Quintet, Glenn Gould, Mingus, Mark O Conner, Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, Ahmad Jamal, and the like. And renting independent films, visiting art museums, reading poetry... the sort of stuff that is probably driving his real teacher nuts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell