The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Default Boss AD 10 vs Zoom AC3

Anyone try these or have any thoughts? I like keeping it simple with my Para DI or Tonebone PZ but I won't deny that a nice multi-effects unit is rather appealing. I think I prefer the tunable midrange and simple "resonance" feature of the Boss but the Zoom seems pretty tight too.

FIGHT!

Boss

Zoom

Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Doesn't look like anyone's tried one of these yet...
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Keen to now as well.
I’m looking to replace my TC Helicon acoustic play with the Harmony singer as I only use the 3rd above harmony. I do use the FX in it but wanting to get more control of my acoustic tones.
I’m going either the Zoom or Boss with the Harmony singer pedal.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I heard a friend play through his AC-3 last week. I was impressed.

I'm going to find one in person and try it out myself.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 AM

I'd really like to hear the insight of Zoom A3 players and their thoughts on the AC3, which seems like a repackaged and simplified version of the A3. I was starting to be more drawn to the AC3 than the AD10 and I landed up reading the manual of the A3 and couldn't help but think "dang...that box does a lot." It seems more robust than the AC3, not that it's superior, but definitely more detailed.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-27-2017, 06:40 AM

Don't forget the Trace Elliot Transit A and Tech21 Flyrig Acoustic for acoustic guitar multi effects. No modeling in either, but better footswitch access to the effects which is more important to me.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Zoom A3 is great. But, you'll need a PhD to use it. :-) I don't think they are available any more.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Zoom A3 is great. But, you'll need a PhD to use it. :-) I don't think they are available any more.

AC3 looks pretty simple. The A3, not so much.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
AC3 looks pretty simple. The A3, not so much.

Good catch! I have the AC-2 and had the A3. It sounds very good. Easy to use. I like he Reverb. The modeling is very subtle. Just kills the quack. A3 is very hard to use.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Shoot, I only have a M.A.

It seems the AC3 is more user friendly and more in-line with what Fishman and Baggs puts out there. That said, the A3 has more models in its banks and the ability to save patches/presets, which is pretty rad. It definitely looks like it requires some patience and reading the manual but I'm tempted to try to find one used or NOS as it could be a deal now that it's discontinued.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-27-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Boss AD 10 vs Zoom AC3

Got the Tea e Transit A today. Dead simple and sounds good. The Fly Rig Acoustic was shipped today. Can't wait to compare them. But I took some photos to compare sizes using my Fly Rig Plexi.

Notice that the spacing of the footswitches is the same on both. The Trace is bigger, but it's not big. The fly rig is just tiny.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 AM

I own 2 Zoom A3 units and while I like them very much, I've also been one of the loudest critics of the interface and the incredibly poor owner's manual. Now that I know how things work, I can get where I need to go and do what I need to do with little effort. Like playing the guitar, it is very hard at first but then gets easier the more you do it.

With that said, I'm looking seriously at the Boss AD-10. Even with all of the Zoom's features, a fairly significant amount of piezo quack comes through. I don't hear it from my Loudbox mini but I do from the PA at church.

From the videos I've seen online, the addition of the body resonance seems to make acoustic guitars sound much more natural with little to no quack. I don't think any Zoom product has any body resonance options.

If the Zoom AC3 is only a simplified A3, I don't really see the benefit for someone like me beyond the simplified interface. From what I've seen, it simply offers fewer options in an easier to use unit.

I hope to try out an AD10 soon and would love to hear from anyone here who owns one and can talk about its sound.

Best,
PJ
Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 AM

I just put in an offer on a NOS A3. I might be reaching out to Dave for coaching or going back to grad school to master it...
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-28-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I just put in an offer on a NOS A3. I might be reaching out to Dave for coaching or going back to grad school to master it...
MrErikJ,
It will take some time but you'll get the hang of it! Just remember that almost every button, LED, and knob does more than one thing (and of course each function is in the context of what is on the display...). It sort of makes sense when you dive in but it will take time.

I'm not Dave but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Best of luck,
PJ

Last edited by Photojeep; 12-28-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
MrErikJ,
It will take some time but you'll get the hang of it! Just remember that almost every button, LED, and knob does more than one thing (and of course each function is in the context of what is on the display...). It sort of makes sense when you dive in but it will take time.

I'm not Dave but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Best of luck,
PJ
Thanks, PJ! I'm looking forward to hearing if my offer is accepted and if I'll receive it soon. I think there's a great deal of potential in this compact but robust unit. Personally, I'd rather master the complexities through home practice and get a bunch of presets made than lose those options with the "easier" AC2 or AC3 but I'll have to give it a try to see if that's true.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification