The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Eric Skye

Default Help Me Choose An Inexpensive Interface

I’m going to toss the Presonus Inspire when I finish typing this It sounds great when it works. One channel stopped working a few months back, and Presonus was super nice and speedy about repairing it. When it happened again they again were incredibly fast and curious, and this time sent me a brand spanking new one... but again after a few weeks of intermittent problems with one channel it died again. I’m done with this product.

This will be just for sketchbook home recording and lessons, so I’m definitely not looking for world class mic pres here. I need something like the Presonus; two channels, phantom power, and inexpensive. So question one is what would you recommend for under two bills? And do I really need firewire? If I went with a USB device would I notice a big change?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
...This will be just for sketchbook home recording and lessons, so I’m definitely not looking for world class mic pres here. I need something like the Presonus; two channels, phantom power, and inexpensive. So question one is what would you recommend for under two bills? And do I really need firewire? If I went with a USB device would I notice a big change?
Hi min7flat5...
I've been impressed with the flexibility and results from the Lexicon Lambda ($149). My gigging buddy has one, and a friend as well, and they do a super job of what you are describing.

No, firewire is not necessary unless you are approaching 16 tracks and multiple effects on each channel all being run by a Pentium III processor.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-17-2008, 02:47 PM

OOPS! You said under 2 bills.... If you are just looking for the interface, have you looked at the Presonus Firebox? It's a little over I believe, but you can probably find it cheaper on ebay. I believe it is the same thing as the Firepod, just with fewer inputs. If it's anything like mine, you should be very happy. Clear signal and you can adjust the volume, and has phantom power. What more do you need right?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarNz View Post
... have you looked at the Presonus Firebox? I...
Thanks. But, I think I'm done with Presonus.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM

Ha alright, it sounds you have the same luck with interfaces that I have with iPods. I got the main board in mine replaced 2 weeks ago under warranty. The other day the hard drive died... and the battery doesn't hold much of a charge anymore. Needless to say, another few weeks without an ipod!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarNz View Post
Ha alright, it sounds you have the same luck with interfaces that I have with iPods. I got the main board in mine replaced 2 weeks ago under warranty...
My 80 gig ipod died last month
It's not been a good Summer for toys over here.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:51 PM

I've been happy with my M-Audio analog to digital converter which has been working for 8 years. You might want to consider one of their products.

Unless you have several USB devices connected you probably won't notice a difference between FireWire and USB but FireWire is a better design. It is a peer to peer system and doesn't tax the computer's CPU the way USB does. USB devices depend on the CPU for arbitration whereas FireWire devices can sort things out for themselves without bothering the CPU. The result is better throughput but in many applications one doesn't notice a difference.

An alternative to consider is a digital recorder that doubles as an interface. A Zoom H4 can be had for $250. It has good quality microphones built-in but can accommodate external mics and can provide 48 volts for them. It functions as an Audio Interface through its USB port.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 08-17-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Eric Skye

Thanks Herb

Now you’ve got me very intrigued by the H4.

How are the mics? I currently have the Rode N4 stereo fixed X/Y, I wonder how the H4 mics compare? I sure like the idea of having less stuff. I keep seeing the Zoom mentioned here but I haven't really paid much attention. I’ll have to do some research
Old 08-17-2008, 07:06 PM

I use Edirol FA-66. It works great. I paid about $250 + shipping.

My Music:
http://www.soundclick.com/KenEgervari
Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Hi min7b5,

I have and have been very pleased with my Zoom H4 as a portable recording unit. I don't have experience with other high quality (or low quality, for that matter) mics, but the built in ones sound very decent to me, and more than usable for my purposes (just mucking around with some home recordings).

However, I never had much luck using it as a recording interface to the PC (which could just as well be my fault as that of the H4). It did work to some degree, but I remember it being quite problematic (though I forget now exactly what the issues were).

In the end I purchased a Tascam US-122L (which fits your criteria) and have been very happy with that. Easy to operate and it seemed to "just work". As a recording interface, I much prefer the Tascam to the H4, but I still plug the H4 into the Tascam to make use of it's builtin mics.

And my first post too, so a big "Hi!" to everyone here

Simon
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Thanks Herb

Now you’ve got me very intrigued by the H4.

How are the mics? I currently have the Rode N4 stereo fixed X/Y, I wonder how the H4 mics compare? I sure like the idea of having less stuff. I keep seeing the Zoom mentioned here but I haven't really paid much attention. I’ll have to do some research
Hi minorseventhflatfive...
Your rode is better.

The limit to using an H4 as an interface is the external controls are limited and several have to be accessed internally via the menu.

I have both an H4 and an H2, and an interface. When I want to do recording on the computer, I go with the interface hands down. It does what it was designed to do easiest and best.

Here is a link to the Lexicon Lambda - with great internal preamps (Focusrite design)...
Lambda - click

Most interfaces will work but the Lambda provides and immense amount of outboard control (actual knobs and level adjustments, phantom power switch, 1/4'' instrument connectors, XLR etc, and more standard output options etc).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Used RME AD-2; Used Apogee Duet (Mac only).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell