The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
minister of twang

do another record (go eric!). record it in high fidelity. more fidelity captured to start with is better than trying to do something - when pressed - with lo-fi. those who care about sound quality get it (on CD). those who don't... won't, and they'll get a compressed format. but you can't record lo-fi and expect it to sound good on high-end systems. which i know you know...

if you're concerned about having a basement full of CDs, i feel your [potential] pain. 70% of my sales are now digital, and i don't think that will change anytime in the near future. the solution? smaller quantities of CDs. i'm thinking about the same sorts of distro strategies for record #3 myself, and i'll be doing a smaller run, mostly for promo (radio, etc.) and for live sales. i sorta look forward to the time that i can sell digital copies at gigs (i see a kiosk or some sort of device where people can bring in an ipod and download an album and pay for it all in one swipe). until then, i need CDs. but i don't need coasters... i don't want to compromise on fidelity, tho. some folks still want to hear good quality (bless you).

rock on. i'll buy it.
l'twangage
Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 PM

I predict that the major CD pressers like Oasis & Discmakers will soon start offering more cost-effective pressed runs (500 or even 250) to try to lure back artists who are drifting towards exclusively digital distro. They've already dropped prices on digipaks and Oasis is offering the Tools of Promotion suite with budget assemble-it-yourself runs of 1000.

But don't do CD-Rs except as one-offs to people who are SURE the disc'll play on their equipment.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmikey View Post
do another record (go eric!)

....the solution? smaller quantities of CDs. ...

i sorta look forward to the time that i can sell digital copies at gigs (i see a kiosk or some sort of device where people can bring in an ipod and download an album and pay for it all in one swipe)...)
Thanks Mike

Does anyone one if there is some one doing smaller runs at a good price?

That also got me thinking that maybe there’s a simpler packaging idea for CDs that would save money on manufacturing and shipping, and possibly be hip enough that it won’t just come off as a demo?

The thought about “a device where people can bring in an ipod and download” to a gig is brilliant!

I agree on the fidelity end of it too. I’m pretty stoked because we’ve noodled around with tones recently, and between my D18GE and his new customized pair of Neumanns, and his new wood floors, and expresso maker... I think it’s going to sound a lot better than what I’ve done in the past.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 PM

hi eric, i been in the independent way, since 25 years ago, i started with vinyl
(i did about 5)i never liked cassetes, then came the cd, at the beginning was great for the independent labels!! then too much cd around!! my first records
i went to the best studio in mexico, now everybody has a home studio, so in other words was it was very cool 20 years ago now is simple: aCD,,,
what i decided was to do live recordings, so my two last cd are live concerts
including a 20 concerts tour around usa and canada. direct to a stero dat
i really like this way, cause i can spend in a good art design, an people love
to have exactly what they heard in the concert, for promotion its fine.
but now as you coment, i dont know what to do; with my wife i have a project with harpsichord and guitar,baroque music, some balkanic and a couple pieces i wrote,,, what i do with 1000 cd ? so just waiting for another
option, maybe a few in a nice handmade package?
eblen
Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 AM

What an interesting topic. For what it's worth, here's my two cents (though i've never made a CD or anything):

I personally like having CDs (and i would be in the younger demographics i suppose) just because its something more tangible than a MP3 you download off say iTunes (plus if you dont back it up and your hard drive fails...that could be bad). One the other hand, distributing your music online with the cd-making money spent on advertising might be good too in that you might reach a broader group of potential purchasers...but it would depend on how well you would be able to market/promote your product. I know someone raised the concern that some people may pick and choose a few MP3s instead of buying the whole album...but i think on iTunes, i've seen some bands throw in digital album liners or another sort of "bonus" material that only is available when you buy the entire digital album. so that could maybe solve that problem.

I guess the best thing to do, if possible, is sample people who buy/listen to your music and see what they prefer.

Some other thoughts:
As for people not carrying around cash for concerts...i went to one this past weekend and they had these credit card swiper things that allowed people to purchase merchandise with credit/debit cards. i dont know how much it would cost to use one of those, but it might be something worth looking into if you do go the CD route.

alternatively, if you go both the CD and MP3 route, you could possibly make CDs more desirable for people attending your concerts (or buying your CDs online) if you put a something "extra" with the CDs. It seems to me from what you wrote (and i could be wrong) that most people who go to your concerts but buy your music online do so out of convenience (ie not carry around cash). You could maybe make your CDs more "exciting" or "exclusive" by personally autographing them (though 1000 might be a bit much haha) or having CD-exclusive bonus track(s) (maybe acoustic renditions of some songs?) or an enhanced-CD with bonus features if you put it in your computer... etc... Of course you'd have to make sure people know what's so special about buying the CDs as to the MP3s. however, i dont know how cost effective or practical something like this would be like. but it might be something to think about.

in terms of simpler packaging, the John Mayer Trio live album was pretty simple in its packaging... it was like a paper-ish case that still flipped open to show brief liner notes. i have a couple EPs by other artists and they have similar packaging so i dunno if its generally used for more demo-ish stuff....

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)

Last edited by dahn8; 03-13-2007 at 12:26 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell