The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Hans, it is in many ways difficult to parse the guitars. As you know, once you start getting guitars from one particular builder, you are bound to hear some amount of overlap. Most builders have some common thread running through their guitars, so even when varying woods and body type, there is still quite a bit of overlap.

In truth, it is difficult to parse these guitars in a clear and deliberate way. Where having, say, a Gibson Banner SJ and a Martin OM-28 is a bit like having chocolate and vanilla, having multiple Circas is kind of like having different types of chocolate, particularly since 3 of the 4 have OM bodies.

The OM-28 is the wettest of the four and the most mid-scooped, but it retains that classic Martin sound. The OM-18 is drier and has a mid-hump. The OM-30 is very, very similar to the OM-18, but is even drier and punchier. The 000 has a warmer sound compared to the OMs, with less edge on the highs and mids and bit more bass overall. The notes are rounder and springier in the way I usually hear 12 frets.

I don't have any particular rhyme or reason for how I choose which ones to play because they are all pretty well fit for just about anything I do. It's just whim. To be honest, the variety I have at this point is probably more than I want or need, and my overall collection probably won't grow much beyond where it is now. I don't like redundancy and I don't like leaving guitars unplayed. There's a certain amount of variety anxiety. Some of my guitar commissioning is driven by a desire to support the artisans that make the guitars.

One of my last projects in the near term will be a triple threat from John: a 0-12, 00-12, and 000-12. All in style 30 with Adirondack spruce and Brazilian rosewood. That will be like varying the cacao percentage in the chocolate. You can say I found what I like, I guess.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Juston, I just saw this post!!! Congrats! You are Da Circa Master~ please share sound samples with us!
Old 12-23-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Multiple flavors of chocolate... ah, that’s right...!!! Amen
Old 12-23-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile Tuners

"Plus, placing Gotoh 510s on a vintage inspired guitar is a mortal sin."

This I would never do. But I do find 510s easier on my beat up left 🤚 hand!

Just sayin.

Back to singing the praises of this axe and the OP.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Despite having no driver's seat experience with your guitars, I gotta say this one is my favorite. Good grief it's just so BEAUTIFUL!! I love the muted brass look of the gold on the tuners.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:13 PM

I'm curious - my daughter has a shop (brooklynlutherie.com) and just put a set of the Rickard's on a 1931 OM - nickel and aged. Looked so good I bought a set for a Stauffer necked 00 I am building. Both hers and mine were represented as 10:1. I would have preferred a higher ratio but they said it was in the works and not in production for a bit yet. Are yours 12:1?

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...ycloidal-tuner

Ed
Old 12-24-2019, 04:15 PM

Dude. Congratulations! Talk about a great holiday gift for yourself!

If John says it's one of the best of his career, I'm salivating over how good it sounds!

That Brazilian is absolutely 'killer'!

Similar to your situation, I have two adi/braz OM28's from John. The first one is crazy dry with this old world authority to it. It was the guitar that got me hooked to the Circa sound. It also has bar frets and banjo tuners (the older banjo tuners with the lower gear ratio). Despite being built with the same woods, the other OM sounds different - not nearly as dry. It still has that vintage tonal palette, but it's not as dry. The overtone content is greater, but not overwhelming - it really hits the coveted Goldilocks zone in my ears.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
I'm curious - my daughter has a shop (brooklynlutherie.com) and just put a set of the Rickard's on a 1931 OM - nickel and aged. Looked so good I bought a set for a Stauffer necked 00 I am building. Both hers and mine were represented as 10:1. I would have preferred a higher ratio but they said it was in the works and not in production for a bit yet. Are yours 12:1?

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...ycloidal-tuner

Ed
Ed, I think I was just wrong. Looks like they’re 10:1. Thanks for letting me know before I started an Internet disinformation campaign!
Old 12-25-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
"Plus, placing Gotoh 510s on a vintage inspired guitar is a mortal sin."

This I would never do. But I do find 510s easier on my beat up left 🤚 hand!

Just sayin.

Back to singing the praises of this axe and the OP.

Cheers

Paul
And that's why these exist:

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...-machines-set/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop