The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Has anyone had a chance to play many of Laurent's 12 fret guitars (D3, B-2/B-3). How do the D and B guitars compare to each other? How do they compare with his 14 fret models? How would you compare them to the more traditional Martin 12 fret guitars?

I've only very briefly played a 24" scale D-3 with 300 year old strings. Probably not the most representative experience.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Has anyone had a chance to play many of Laurent's 12 fret guitars (D3, B-2/B-3). How do the D and B guitars compare to each other? How do they compare with his 14 fret models? How would you compare them to the more traditional Martin 12 fret guitars?

I've only very briefly played a 24" scale D-3 with 300 year old strings. Probably not the most representative experience.
I've played a d5 and laurent's single 0 size guitar. Both where phenomenal. The d and b are pretty different from my limited experiences playing both, but I liked them both a lot. I can't really comment on tone as it's been quite a while.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Whoops, Berf pointed out the Schoenberg D-3 is a 14 fretter. Quite right! I keep forgetting.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM

I had a D-3 12-fret for a good while, it was a very powerful and lively, exciting guitar. I ended up trading it for another guitar with MikeD, who I suspect has consigned it at Luthiers Collection. It's a great guitar, got that Brondel tone.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Laurent plays two14 fret guitars and one 12 fret in these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGHKg4BP7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkaS0_HeAw
Old 09-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Who is the guy with the long hair and beard??

You can definitely tell which one is the 12-fret guitar, as it seems to capture that quintessential 12-fret quality (still can't figure out a good way to describe it). The macassar ebony D-3 also seems to be quite a bit louder than the other two guitars by comparison.

Thanks for the videos. I had seen them before, but they were worth listening to again. I will say, however, I think the videos are great for relative comparison, but the guitars don't sound much like the live versions of the Brondels I have played. Since I already have a good reference for the A-2, these videos allow me to extrapolate the relative differences.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Anyone out there in Brondel land own a B-3? Any idea how it compares to the D-3?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm having an absolute blast playing my Brondel, and I'm finding it does just about everything I ask of it, and it does it well. I have the action set up fairly high so that I can really dig in with my fingerpicks, which turns out to be really beneficial for drop tunings as well. The guitar has such volume, projection, complexity, and note separation that it really meshes well and shines with my playing style.

Mahogany has become one of my favorite back/sides woods in recent months. I'm really impressed by the authoritative mids, slight compression and warmth in the high end, and overall power and expressiveness. I can't believe I blew this tonewood off as "too dry" for so long!

I should also mention that the neck profile is absolutely exquisite - perhaps my favorite acoustic profile of all time. Brondel has really nailed the slim C profile. This guitar is a real masterpiece, in my mind, and it's a great addition to my very small collection of acoustics.

I'm really looking forward to working with Laurent on my upcoming German spruce and Madagascar rosewood A-2c in the spring . . . and then a mystery Brondel later next year (TBD).
Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 AM

beatutiful guitar you've got there. i purchased an A3 back in July and love it as well. the more i play it the more i keep discovering. quite intoxicating. its a German/Black African build, which i'm sure might be quite different from your instrument. its also a 00 size which is smaller than yours. i'm so happy with this instrument that i'm thinking of picking up an A2 (German/Braz) to go along with it. like you mentioned, Laurent's guitars are exceptionally good for fingerstyle for everything from a super light touch to really digging in. and i'm also with you on the neck profile. mine is wider than yours (1 25/32" at the nut, 2 3/8" bridge string spacing) but its my favorite profile of all time. i've adapted quite well to it. if i get a second one though, i'll get a neck with the same dimensions as yours.

congratulations on a great guitar. i'd love to try a hog Brondel.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Glad you're still enjoying it. I've been singing his praises since my encounter with one at Luither's Collection. If I didn't luck out on the Borges, I'd definitely be in queue for a 14 fret 00.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Resurrecting this thread since I just got this guy from Juston. It really does live up to the hype. Very responsive, and the lateral radius to the back and top really lend something intangible to the tone. I've been playing it in standard dropped a whole step, which is quite nice, and also DGCGCD. Full report and hopefully a video to follow. Thanks Juston!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Matthew! I was lucky enough to play this guitar at Juston's last year and I found it quite amazing. I hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment.

Col
Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Congratulations Matthew! I was lucky enough to play this guitar at Juston's last year and I found it quite amazing. I hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment.

Col
Thanks Col. I'm honeymooning right now, but it usually doesn't take me long to pass judgement on an instrument; my first five to ten second impression typically matches my years long retrospectoscope opinion, ie I think I can tell right off the bat which guitars I really like. I really like this one
Old 03-19-2015, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

A really nice looking guitar! I really like the subtly modern look with the understated appointments. Very classy. Can't go wrong with Adi over mahogany...and a killer set of mahogany it is. Enjoy!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
A really nice looking guitar! I really like the subtly modern look with the understated appointments. Very classy. Can't go wrong with Adi over mahogany...and a killer set of mahogany it is. Enjoy!
It's true adi/hog is a very classic combo, this time with a different tonal twist based on Laurent's unique building techniques.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop