Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:07 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default COVID-19 (Cont'd #6)

Carry on discussion.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Dr. Stein's writing that I shared earlier is there in a public or can link to

https://madison.com/wsj/opinion/colu...94c6c8809.html

For earlier comments in polls and statistics, it's nonsense to keep generalizing they mean manipulated opinion or are no good unless you are explicit and show those words are about a poll or report where there's no methods or source information available. It might not be perfection, but decent data gathering and methods are vital and good stuff in science, engineering and business.

Back to topic, it was interesting to go to our cabin before the holiday weekend and return as the masses were arriving. My state is in group of 24 where the "R nought" is trending above 1, and food plants still have shutdown issues from the virus. Late Friday cars from Chicago and Milwaukee were backed up heading north. It will be interesting to learn if that has an impact. Our cabin's county and others with little industry have had low amounts of sickness. Now stores, bars and restaurants are filling up.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Indeed. Saying things like "statistics can be manipulated to say anything" is the equivalent of saying "people sometimes lie". It's absolutely true, and utterly irrelevant. If you can't show how the person is lying, or show how the statistics have been manipulated, you are saying nothing.

Ever seen anyone cast doubt on statistics which confirmed their belief system? No, me either.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 AM

May 24
NYC

I'm in a borough of NYC, Queens and at one point the local hospital was the epicenter,. The general infection rate has gone down, temporary hospital facilities dismantled, they are soliciting patients with other health issues. The local news is still showing predominantly COVID related news, social distancing issues, small business ideas, and feeding the poor and people who are having those difficulties. One of the local medical groups is soliciting by email people for anitibody testing.

I'm mainly still staying in as the city starts opening up and there hasn't been much change in the side street I overview, but people here drive so they may be going out of the area and congregating. I don't like what I've seen with people not complying going to the store - I had been planning on a walk routine but changed my mind after seeing some of videos of groups.

While I can't calculate if there is a risk to me I decided to hold steady. The alternative that I relax now and then in a couple of weeks find that there's a spike from people exposed a couple of weeks earlier is not an acceptable alternative. I already have some concerns about a reactivated lockdown or curfews in the summer heat.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

One thing I saw on the highway yesterday was a State Trooper having pulled over a speeding pickup truck, walked to the passenger side (no passenger) They normally come up to the rear- of the driver side door/window , where I am presuming they can look in at the drivers hands and lap , I am guessing it was to try to maintain more distance while asking for the license ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-24-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Kev, I'm sure that's why the trooper is doing it.

Completely different (but related), I was picking up dinner at In-N-Out burger, which has long drive-thru lines all day. The employees taking the orders approach from the passenger side and wearing masks. Likewise, the person at the payment window wore gloves and handed the credit card machine out the window, so everything is "no touch." Same with the person handing off the food bags (gloves, mask, etc.). Everything was managed really, really well.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I for one, among many, will not be going into restaurants or into any enclosed areas where I can not distant myself in what I feel is a safe distance. And even then I will only go into enclosed areas when I feel the need is of sufficient amount. Masks and gloves will be worn. Mindfulness is the primary self protection tool.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-24-2020, 01:36 PM

Just back from the grocery store. Almost everyone had a mask on in the store. I'd say maybe 95%. That's quite different than what I was seeing 10 days ago, the last time I went.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:52 PM

A lot of things have opened up here over the last 48 hours. Unfortunately, lots of folks are acting like ‘the war is over’. A few days ago, very little traffic, and the great majority of folks you see out were wearing masks. Yesterday, lot of traffic like hasn’t been seen in a while, and the impression I got from friends is that those wearing masks were way less than half. This is an area that is still trending the wrong way. We are doing our best to take no chances. We are luckier than most and don’t have to. Tuesday is a bit of a test. The hackers golf league I participated in the last couple of years starts back up. There are a lot of smart safety rules set in place by the county (county operated public course). However, before the first shot, email is flying around about which rules need to be followed. Concerned.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-24-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
One thing I saw on the highway yesterday was a State Trooper having pulled over a speeding pickup truck, walked to the passenger side (no passenger) They normally come up to the rear- of the driver side door/window , where I am presuming they can look in at the drivers hands and lap , I am guessing it was to try to maintain more distance while asking for the license ?
I have a friend in the UK who has to drive for business reasons. What he did was he made a sign stating why he was on the road, with his cell phone number and put in a window so if stopped he could communicate with the officer instead of opening his window.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Who knows the reason. I’ve been approached from the passenger side for several years now! I thought it was for safety of the officers?����*♂️
Old 05-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Who knows the reason. I’ve been approached from the passenger side for several years now! I thought it was for safety of the officers?����*♂️
If they pull a vehicle over on the side of the road, approaching the vehicle from the passenger side puts the officer away from passing by traffic.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
If they pull a vehicle over on the side of the road, approaching the vehicle from the passenger side puts the officer away from passing by traffic.
Here in Ontario Canada, the police offset their car from the person they have pulled over. There have been quite a few Officers hit by passing vehicles, that in this case, their car gets hit first before they do. There also is sometimes not enough of a shoulder on the road to approach from the passenger side.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

To clarify a bit yes I have seen the police come up on the passenger side If the car is still very close to roadway but around here that is more likely to be in a town where there is little shoulder room or perhaps elsewhere ing the country on a crowded freeway. But in this case on this sparsely traveled highway, the pickup driver side was off the road by 8 or 10 ft. I just thought it was unusual

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-24-2020, 04:05 PM
Get off my lawn kid

They closed the Covid ICU unit in a large hospital in a nearby town. This is good news.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic