The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-20-2020, 05:57 AM

Briggs/Tigers stadium was torn down because it didn't have the high income private boxes. They tried to blame the columns etc. but the game after all is a money making activity. Comerica Park houses the football Lions and is full even with a team that hasn't had a winner in 54 years.

Fog
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 AM

Default yup

I would like to re-visit all of the MLB parks built prior to 1960. The one I missed was Crosley Field in Cincinatti. The old iconic parks were jewels
Old 05-20-2020, 08:49 AM

Comerica Park is a baseball field and it's where the Detroit Tigers play.

Ford Field is next-door, and where the Lions play.

Greg Rappleye
Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Anfield-Liverpool
Old 05-20-2020, 09:14 AM

Default So Far.....

I plead guilty to attending large music events in my youth, but more and more I prefer not to share breathing space with the sort of people who beat one another to death and stampede over the dead outside of stadiums over the score of a childish game. Once it is professional, it is no longer a game, but a business, for which the fan foots the bill. My money is still on music
Old 05-20-2020, 09:16 AM

You're right Greg, I mixed up the Detroit set of losers and their stadiums. The Detroit newspapers are currently starting the "noise" about how wonderful the baseball/football teams are going to be in 2020. I think there is going to be somewhat of an awakening this season.

Fog
Old 05-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Sports venue

Fenway bleacher seats,( back in the 70s), way too expensive now. Boston Garden,( the old one), Celtics vs. Knicks. Wahconah Park ( Pittsfield,Mass), double AA baseball in the sixties. Look it up, tons of future major leaguers, as well almost was, you were so close to the field.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Probably not the type of response you were looking for, but now I'm hoping someday I can walk Augusta. I don't even care if there's anyone playing - just want to walk the course.
I am a lifelong baseball fan, and any historical ballpark would be cool. BUT, the cathedral that is Augusta National would be a dream. Would love to actually play it, but just to walk it, no crowds, would be awesome. My wife doesn't like travel, but she would go with me to Augusta for sure. Memories live there for all to meditate on for sure!
Old 05-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I've kinda moved past most professional sports, and COVID has helped me increase that distance. But I still enjoy some college sports, and attending Penn State for five years enabled me to have some fantastic experiences at Beaver Stadium. I can't share all the details, but I even managed to get onto the field... twice!
Old 05-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Augusta National, Wimbledon centre court, Notre Dame stadium, old Boston Garden, old Rosenblatt stadium (Omaha - college world series)
Old 05-20-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Dru, Put this on your bucket list. I was prepared not to like it (too far away, too high) but it was awesome. If you pick a less popular opponent or maybe catch a rough weather day it is possible to buy the cheaper standing room tickets (which are pretty decent themselves) and then move down to the seats. I think I got as close as the second row that way

I've been to many of the places you mention.

If Augusta National is a stadium that is my choice.
It's deceiving how close to the play those Monster Seats are. I think I heard a few years ago that when those seats were first installed that they were not expensive and there wasn't an expectation that they would become fan favorites. Smart move by management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Very similar ones to yours Dru.

The old Montreal Forum is the only place I've ever seen the Canadiens play. As a kid I went there a half dozen times, but only once did I have seats in the coveted "red" section.
It was an awesome place.
The old Boston Garden had a great atmosphere too. I saw the Bruins play there of course, but also the Celtics. And many concerts (not that great a concert venue). The sports game I recall the most was Celtics vs. Milwaukee Bucs, with Lew Alcindor (pre KAJ) as the towering center flipping in all those hook shots. He was just sensational that night. It was during the pre-Bird Dave Cowens/J. Havlicek era.
Fenway Park of course. What a treat to see ball game there. It has to be one of the best stadiums around for old timey atmosphere.
The absolute WORST stadium I ever saw a game in was the old Foxboro stadium in the 70s, where the Patriots played. It wasn't only the team that was awful.

If I had a wish though, it would be this:
To be at Yankee Stadium for the last game of the American League pennant back in 2004.
. I don't think any Red Sox fan would have liked to have been at Game 3 where the Yanks won 19-8 to take a "series ending" 3-0 series lead ... but game 7 ... oh yea. I watched all those games on the edge of my seat. I remember seeing Stephen King in the stands for some games. I've read all his books and he mentions the Red Sox in many of them (he's also a huge fan).
Old 05-20-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's a sports stadium/arena that you would like to see a game at? Current or past.
Future: Polo Grounds IV (or Willie Mays Park, that would be fine too), somewhere in Manhattan, home of the New York Giants since 20__.

I appreciate San Francisco giving them a place to stay, but it's time they came home.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:53 PM

Augusta National.

And I call LSU my almost alma mater. I’d like to go back to Tiger Stadium and see LSU whoop up on Alabama or Auburn again someday.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Future: Polo Grounds IV (or Willie Mays Park, that would be fine too), somewhere in Manhattan, home of the New York Giants since 20__.

I appreciate San Francisco giving them a place to stay, but it's time they came home.
Forget it - they tried that in Brooklyn, and the "compensation" from the city/MLB for losing the Dodgers was to give us the Mets in 1962 as the sole NL team . Took 44 years till we got the NY-Penn League (Class A) Brooklyn Cyclones: the spirit of Ebbets Field was alive and well at Keyspan (now MCU) Park for the first decade or so - my brother-in-law had season tickets so we used to go regularly, and there were plenty of old Brooklyn Dodger fans in attendance - the Friday night fireworks are spectacular (the stadium is right off the boardwalk, in the shadow of the now-defunct Parachute Jump) and probably a better brand of baseball to boot...
Old 05-20-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
<> the "compensation" from the city/MLB f<>was to give us the Mets in 1962 as the sole NL team ..
Sounds like you're a Brooklyn fan . . . but we can agree on the , that's for sure!

Last edited by frankmcr; 05-20-2020 at 06:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic