The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2020, 03:40 PM

Default Why no "all in one" acoustic effects pedal with Para EQ?

I've been looking for a pedal that can provide basic effects for my acoustic:
reverb, chorus, compression, delay AND also give me more than a basic bass,treble, mid EQ. Something with a parametric EQ.

The only one I know of is the Soulmate, which I didn't care for because ALL the EQs are parametric/shelf types, which are very tricky to dial in. I know I can buy all these pedals separate, but that can get very costly and also take up a lot of pedal board space. The other one I know of is the Boss AD-10, but I don't like the reverb or what Boss calls "Ambience". There really aren't many solutions to this. I guess everyone makes due with a simple 3 ring EQ?

I have been using a Fishman Tonedeq which gives me everything I need EXCEPT the para EQ. I guess I could just add a Boss GE-7 pedal?
Old 10-19-2020, 03:48 PM

EAE stompmix 4 has everything but chorus I guess...

Line 6 HX Stomp Should check all the boxes

Tech 21 fly rig acoustic too

Trace Elliot transit-a almost does
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 10-19-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:55 PM

Zoom A1 Four has multiple eq models based on ToneBone, Baggs, Fishman, and others.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Not exactly what you're looking for but I been using a Fishman ToneDEQ. To my ear it's the most natural sounding floor acoustic preamp I've used, it has a beautiful reverb and the tone controls work excellent w/ an acoustic.

I've been through a number of acoustic preamps, all of them well reviewed so I was surprised the ToneDEQ w/ older technology had what I thought was a much better sound w/ very usable effects. I'm also comparing it to the preamps on my Schertler Jam 400 which are very nice. They are very close to one another in warmth.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:50 PM

It's out of production but the Zoom A3 is a very good pedal, a little complicated for some. It has a lot of effects and does them well and parametric eq is just one of them.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 PM

I had that unit and didn’t think the effects, like reverb and chorus sounded that great. But yes it’s an option I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
Zoom A1 Four has multiple eq models based on ToneBone, Baggs, Fishman, and others.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:27 PM

I agree the Tonedeq effects sound great. It’s just missing the ability to really sculpt the mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Not exactly what you're looking for but I been using a Fishman ToneDEQ. To my ear it's the most natural sounding floor acoustic preamp I've used, it has a beautiful reverb and the tone controls work excellent w/ an acoustic.

I've been through a number of acoustic preamps, all of them well reviewed so I was surprised the ToneDEQ w/ older technology had what I thought was a much better sound w/ very usable effects. I'm also comparing it to the preamps on my Schertler Jam 400 which are very nice. They are very close to one another in warmth.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

True. If you're trying to get rid of a problem in the mids a parametric EQ is necessary. Maybe another EQ pedal w/ parametric in the chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I agree the Tonedeq effects sound great. It’s just missing the ability to really sculpt the mids.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I've been looking for a pedal that can provide basic effects for my acoustic:
reverb, chorus, compression, delay AND also give me more than a basic bass,treble, mid EQ. Something with a parametric EQ.

The only one I know of is the Soulmate, which I didn't care for because ALL the EQs are parametric/shelf types, which are very tricky to dial in. I know I can buy all these pedals separate, but that can get very costly and also take up a lot of pedal board space. The other one I know of is the Boss AD-10, but I don't like the reverb or what Boss calls "Ambience". There really aren't many solutions to this. I guess everyone makes due with a simple 3 ring EQ?

I have been using a Fishman Tonedeq which gives me everything I need EXCEPT the para EQ. I guess I could just add a Boss GE-7 pedal?
Just set the lowest parametric to the most common Bass Q and the highest one to the most common Treble Q, and treat those like non-sweepable controls. No?
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-20-2020, 07:55 AM

That's a good idea, but I have no idea what those frequencies are. Anyway I don't have that unit anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Just set the lowest parametric to the most common Bass Q and the highest one to the most common Treble Q, and treat those like non-sweepable controls. No?
Old 10-20-2020, 07:56 AM

Yes I would need an EQ pedal that isn't also a preamp, since the Tonedeq is already the preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
True. If you're trying to get rid of a problem in the mids a parametric EQ is necessary. Maybe another EQ pedal w/ parametric in the chain?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:17 AM

I have the line6 hx stomp. It certainly
Checks all those boxes and much more.
But it's like 600.. but you can choose
The type if EQ you want in your
chain.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:41 AM

The Hx Stomp is too complicated for me. I'm not a tweaker and I don't want to spend hours trying 50 types of delays and reverbs. I also don't want to have to use my laptop to edit presets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I have the line6 hx stomp. It certainly
Checks all those boxes and much more.
But it's like 600.. but you can choose
The type if EQ you want in your
chain.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:37 PM

Putting a lot of stuff in a box will likely result in some things not being as good as a box that is more dedicated to doing the job real well. The A1 Four mentioned previously is what I'm using now. I have other pedals that do certain things better than the A1 Four, but like yourself I wanted a single pedal for what I'm doing. Some of the A1 Four patches can sound better with some tweaking which isn't too hard to do from the display screen once the button presses are figured out. The parametric EQ's can be tweaked and tuned from the display and some knob twists. For the price I'm pretty happy with it.
Below are a few of the EQ effects available which would likely do what you want.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:04 PM

The Baggs Venue one looks the most useful.
I don't like the cheap plastic material though and if I went with a Zoom unit,
would probably opt for the better built G3n. Pretty sure all the Zoom units use all the same effects anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
Putting a lot of stuff in a box will likely result in some things not being as good as a box that is more dedicated to doing the job real well. The A1 Four mentioned previously is what I'm using now. I have other pedals that do certain things better than the A1 Four, but like yourself I wanted a single pedal for what I'm doing. Some of the A1 Four patches can sound better with some tweaking which isn't too hard to do from the display screen once the button presses are figured out. The parametric EQ's can be tweaked and tuned from the display and some knob twists. For the price I'm pretty happy with it.
Below are a few of the EQ effects available which would likely do what you want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification