The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Not exactly answering the original question, but in the same spirit...

I came from the UK to the US in 1984, to Massachusetts - I lived in a western suburb of Boston.

My very first baseball game ever was the Yankees/Red Sox season opener at Fenway Park, in April 1985.

Despite the fact that I had absolutely no idea what was going on, or of the significance of those two teams and the location, I enjoyed it immensely, and baseball has been my favourite American sport ever since.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-21-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

I came from the UK to the US in 1984, to Massachusetts - I lived in a western suburb of Boston.

My very first baseball game ever was the Yankees/Red Sox season opener at Fenway Park, in April 1985.

Despite the fact that I had absolutely no idea what was going on, or of the significance of those two teams and the location, I enjoyed it immensely, and baseball has been my favourite American sport ever since.
What a fantastic story, David. Are you a Red Sox fan?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a fantastic story, David. Are you a Red Sox fan?
I was at the time, Dru, as I knew no better

I really stopped following it after I moved to the Bay Area in 1986, (and after Bill Buckner's unfortunate moment) - never really became enamoured with either the Giants or the As.

Then we moved to Minnesota in 1994, and, for better or worse, I've been a Twins fan ever since. I saw many games at the old Metrodome, and have seen many at Target Field - which is as delightful a place to watch a baseball game as I could possibly imagine.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-21-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Cool story.

My friend is Russian but he's been in the US for 20 years and has worked in Cambridge and has lived just outside Boston for about 7 years or so. He loves sports though: soccer and hockey the most. I keep telling him to just to go to Fenway one day just to check it out. I think he'd like it even though he doesn't follow baseball. He still hasn't gone yet.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-21-2020, 02:49 PM

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this already - if you get a chance to go to a Colorado Rockies game at Coors Field (Denver), don't miss it! It's a beautiful old-style baseball specific ballpark with the Rocky Mountains visible beyond left field.

It's nice anytime, but if you can catch a good sunset there, it's magnificent! Then go to a concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater, just west of town. Go, even if the band isn't someone you'd usually see (within reason).

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Augusta National, Wimbledon centre court, Notre Dame stadium, old Boston Garden, old Rosenblatt stadium (Omaha - college world series)
Good call on Wimbledon. An old friend from college went to the Women's final last year. It was her third time attending, but first finals.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Cool story.

My friend is Russian but he's been in the US for 20 years and has worked in Cambridge and has lived just outside Boston for about 7 years or so. He loves sports though: soccer and hockey the most. I keep telling him to just to go to Fenway one day just to check it out. I think he'd like it even though he doesn't follow baseball. He still hasn't gone yet.
I have a good friend in Germany with whom I used to work. He was a big sports fan (soccer and NHL hockey) and he would often come to the US and Canada on business travel. He liked all US/CDN based sports, except baseball. Hated it. He just didn't understand it and found it immensely boring to watch.
It took me a while to explain the rules to him. It's amazing how cerebral and strategic baseball is compared to the other sports. Once he started to get it, he really developed a fondness for the game. But it wasn't until I took him to a game at Fenway did he put all the pieces together. He was hooked after that. Attending a live game at such a park can truly be a transformative experience for the uninitiated.
So, I'm sure it would be the same for your Russian friend, as long as he has a basic understanding of the game before attending. Even then though, it's still a pleasant experience to soak the atmosphere in. TV does it no justice whatsoever.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM

Growing up in New York, I was fortunate to see games in both Shea and Yankee Stadiums, games at the Garden, games at the Meadowlands, and our family also had season tickets to Army football, so I was in Michie Stadium a lot. I went to the University of Kansas, and saw dozens of games at the great Allen Fieldhouse. Also, football at Memorial Stadium and, of course, trips into KC for Royals games at Kaufmann, and the Chiefs at Arrowhead! So, I've been lucky, in many respects. As for where I'd like to see games:

Hockey: Bell MTS Place/Winnipeg. TD Garden/Boston
Baseball: Fenway Park or Wrigley Field.
"Futbol": Goodison Park (Obviously!) Also, Celtic Park
College Basketball: Rosehill Gym/Fordham. Carneseca Arena/St. John's. The Palestra/Penn. Assembly Hall/Indiana
College Football: Notre Dame, Michigan, Rose Bowl for a USC/UCLA game
Pro Football: Lambeau Field/Green Bay. Soldier's Field/Chicago.
NBA: Barclay's Arena, Brooklyn (close to where we lived, when I was a kid).
NASCAR: All of them!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-22-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Growing up in New York, I was fortunate to see games in both Shea and Yankee Stadiums, games at the Garden, games at the Meadowlands, and our family also had season tickets to Army football, so I was in Michie Stadium a lot. I went to the University of Kansas, and saw dozens of games at the great Allen Fieldhouse. Also, football at Memorial Stadium and, of course, trips into KC for Royals games at Kaufmann, and the Chiefs at Arrowhead! So, I've been lucky, in many respects. As for where I'd like to see games:

Hockey: Bell MTS Place/Winnipeg. TD Garden/Boston
Baseball: Fenway Park or Wrigley Field.
"Futbol": Goodison Park (Obviously!) Also, Celtic Park
College Basketball: Rosehill Gym/Fordham. Carneseca Arena/St. John's. The Palestra/Penn. Assembly Hall/Indiana
College Football: Notre Dame, Michigan, Rose Bowl for a USC/UCLA game
Pro Football: Lambeau Field/Green Bay. Soldier's Field/Chicago.
NBA: Barclay's Arena, Brooklyn (close to where we lived, when I was a kid).
NASCAR: All of them!
+1 Notre Dame. Would love to walk around the campus and then see a game.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 PM

This is an especially fun thread for me and it has brought back a lot of memories. Growing up in a heavily sports oriented family and spending most of my early years and teens in the suburbs of Washington, DC and London, England, I was so lucky to see so many great sporting events and venues. Have been to Senators/Nats games at Griffith Stadium, DC Stadium (RFK). Saw Satchel Paige pitch for Bill Veeck’s Indians at DC Stadium. Saw Redskin football games in those stadiums as well. Saw Ernie Davis play for Syracuse vs Maryland at Byrd Stadium (Maryland won). Later as a Maryland basketball season ticket holder for a couple of years, saw the best of the Lefty Drisell teams play against many of the best Dean Smith, Norm Sloan, Bobby Cremins and a young Coach K brought to town (plus Ralph Sampson from UVA. During the London years, went to Wembley for a World Cup match, went to Wimbledon, The British Open and Ascot. Went over to Paris for The Arc too. We were Chelsea supporters and went to countless games at Stamford Bridge. My brother and I stood behind the goals at every 1st Division team (now Premier League) stadium. Been lucky enough to go to 3 World Series Games (yankee stadium in ‘60, 62, and 64). Also got to go to Shea Stadium for the All Star Game (64?). Saw Riggins big run in the Super Bowl at the Rose Bowl and the Super Bowl the following year when The Raiders throttled the Redskins.

Baseball was always my favorite game and went to countless Giants games at Candlestick when I was in school in California. Drove down to see the Giants play at Chavez a few times too. Been to the new Giants stadium when we went back to see friends. When my grandparents lived in LA in the late 50s, we went to a game at the Coliseum. They lived in Cincinnati before that and we went to Crosley. Went to a wedding in Cincinnati a couple of years ago and the parents of the bride took the entire wedding party to see the Reds v Nationals. Work trips afforded me opportunities to attend MLB games in Milwaukee and Seattle. Went to the Metrodome to see the Twins when my parents lived in Minneapolis. Reminds me I saw Pete Maravich play for the New Orleans Jazz at the Superdome too. Still with baseball, I go to a few Nationals games every year (always when The Giants are here). In the dark ages when we didn’t have baseball, we went to Memorial Stadium and then Camden Yards pretty often in Baltimore. My wife used to take me up to Philly to see the Giants at The Vet as a birthday present. Saw a lot of 76ers games when my parents lived there (lean years with Fred Mad Dog Carter and big years with Dr J, George Mcginnis, World B Free and more). One place that I can remember that few others have been too is Washington’s Uline Arena. Saw NBA basketball there before the Wizards/Bullets came here. Saw Chamberlain play for The Philadelphia Warriors against Russell’s Celtics. We also saw Bruno Sanmartino wrestle there and my cousins used to go see roller derby there and we all went to see Meadowlark Lemon and the Globetrotters beat up on The Washington Generals. The Uline is mostly remembered for The Beatles playing there. I didn’t see them there but I did see them at DC Stadium.

Obviously sports have been a big for me and my family for a long time and I have been incredibly fortunate to have all of those opportunities.

Thanks for indulging me,

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic