The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini and Preamps

Hi Guys,
Hope everyone is healthy and at the least, enjoying some additionally playing time. I am working at home for the next few weeks and plan to play during the time I would normal be commuting.

Yesterday, I tried a line out of my Loudbox Mini to my Bose S1 Pro. The sound was really good with my Taylor and the ES-2. Does anyone know which (if any) of their preamps share the same circuitry as the Loubox mini has on the guitar channel?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is healthy and at the least, enjoying some additionally playing time. I am working at home for the next few weeks and plan to play during the time I would normal be commuting.

Yesterday, I tried a line out of my Loudbox Mini to my Bose S1 Pro. The sound was really good with my Taylor and the ES-2. Does anyone know which (if any) of their preamps share the same circuitry as the Loubox mini has on the guitar channel?
Not related, but can you give me opinion of the difference between the loudbox and the Bose?/ mainly tone but anything will help with my quest for an amp or PA
Thanks
Old 03-17-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I have a Fishman ToneDEQ which I understand is similar to the preamp section on their amps. I use it into a QSC CP-8.

The ToneDEQ has an analog circuit and that's one of the differences between it and the Bose. I'm very happy w/ the ToneDEQ.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Not related, but can you give me opinion of the difference between the loudbox and the Bose?/ mainly tone but anything will help with my quest for an amp or PA
Thanks
The Fishman sounds great with the guitar, but not so good with the vocals. The Bose is great for the vocals, but needs a little more for guitar. Missing the midrange eq is the biggest.

All in one - Bose
Guitar only - Fishman LB Mini
Old 03-17-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Thanks
I have both, (Fishman Artist and the S1)

Get the Fishman Artist...

It is much easier to dial in a decent sound with my pickups, (Fishman infinity Matrix in everything) going straight in

The bose IMHO Does not have enough EQ and notch filter options. (actually none beyond tone match presets and Bass/Treble) The best way to get around that w/the S1 isto front end the guitar with a tonedexter which helps quite a bit.

In a pinch an S1 will work if you need the Battery Capability. I had to do a few weddings where there was no power availbel, (Apple Orchard and a Beach Setting)

If I had power, I'd have opted for the Fishman. Eq voicing is superior IME And it has more head room. The bose is rated at 40w.. (it's an impressive 40wats but it is still that) The Artist is 120w with a larger speaker, and a tweak-able crossover control that you can use to tame the top end.

That said,
Combining them is cool. Use the Artist for guitar/vocal and a Direct Out to the Bose S1 is killer litter setup. I put the S1 on a pole, the Artist on a bar stool and sit or stand just ahead of them. That works great.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I have both, (Fishman Artist and the S1)

Get the Fishman Artist...

It is much easier to dial in a decent sound with my pickups, (Fishman infinity Matrix in everything) going straight in

The bose IMHO Does not have enough EQ and notch filter options. (actually none beyond tone match presets and Bass/Treble) The best way to get around that w/the S1 isto front end the guitar with a tonedexter which helps quite a bit.

In a pinch an S1 will work if you need the Battery Capability. I had to do a few weddings where there was no power availbel, (Apple Orchard and a Beach Setting)

If I had power, I'd have opted for the Fishman. Eq voicing is superior IME And it has more head room. The bose is rated at 40w.. (it's an impressive 40wats but it is still that) The Artist is 120w with a larger speaker, and a tweak-able crossover control that you can use to tame the top end.

That said,
Combining them is cool. Use the Artist for guitar/vocal and a Direct Out to the Bose S1 is killer litter setup. I put the S1 on a pole, the Artist on a bar stool and sit or stand just ahead of them. That works great.
All of this! I too have this combination and have yet to find a problem with the setup regardless of the setting in which I"m playing. I can use either the Fishman or Bose separately in smaller settings, together: killer.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I have a Fishman ToneDEQ which I understand is similar to the preamp section on their amps. I use it into a QSC CP-8.

The ToneDEQ has an analog circuit and that's one of the differences between it and the Bose. I'm very happy w/ the ToneDEQ.
Thank you Stephen.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Sure Marty, hope that helps, I've had a few preamps and the ToneDEQ is a keeper. Besides the sound I like the form factor (on the floor in front of me) and the effects, particularly the reverb but also the tremolo are to my ear, excellent.

Quote:
Thank you Stephen.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Sure Marty, hope that helps, I've had a few preamps and the ToneDEQ is a keeper. Besides the sound I like the form factor (on the floor in front of me) and the effects, particularly the reverb but also the tremolo are to my ear, excellent.
What guitar/pickup are you using?
Old 03-17-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

After years using Sunrise soundhole pickups w/ the Sunrise buffer box I've changed to the Fishman Blackstack which I like slightly better, lower output, more clarity in the midrange.

And it depends, I have two Blackstacks, one mounted in my Martin D Jr and the other is uninstalled w/ a long cable that i just drape out of the soundhole. So I'll alternate between the D Jr, a custom Martin 00-15 or a Waterloo WL-12.

The Blackstack can be installed w/o slacking the strings so after years of having a dedicated acoustic for gigging I can enjoy my guitars purely acoustic and install the pickup w/ I work.

Quote:
What guitar/pickup are you using?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification