The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 PM

Default D-18 help...?

I recently got a D-18, have wanted one for a long time. I love everything about it, except the neck. I'm just having a hard time bonding with the performing artist taper neck. So I was thinking about getting a custom D-18 but with a different neck... everything the same as the current D-18 standard just a different neck. I know it's better to play different necks and it's subjective but what Martin necks are thicker/fuller? Don't really have an option to play a variety of their necks so was looking for some help. I played a Martin DCX1E for about 15 years, but having been playing Recording Kings and Eastmans the last 3-5 years. Reallly like the fuller necks on the Eastmans and RK's. The neck on the D-18 doesn't have to be as thick as those but thicker than the PA taper... it feels really thin to me. Don't want to go with a pre 2012 because I like the changes that happened... 1 3/4 nut, ebony board & bridge, forward shifted X bracing, open tuners, aging toner, etc...

Thanks & Hey everybody

Tim
Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I'd say give it some time. You probably played a very similar neck on your Martin X and lately just got used to a thicker neck. Here's a good chart showing the different Martin neck profiles;

My cs OM-18 has a low oval neck. It's thicker than the neck on my Road Series and I go back and forth like it's nothing. I've also played the mod V neck and didn't even notice it.

I would hate for you to sell this guitar, have a custom d-18 made and then think ''this sure is a lot like the other one''.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Martin’s new Modern Classic series — just announced this month — includes a D-18 which may have a neck profile that might be more to your liking. I’d wait to play one of those before passing on your current D-18 and/or making a custom order.

In the meantime you might try playing some other Martin guitars that have a different neck profile and string spacing to see if that’s really what you want. Something like the CEO-7 or a used Martin D-18GE will have the modified-V profile, you could also check out the D-18A.

All that said, don’t be too quick to write off the standard D-18 you have — I have one as well, and while I sometimes miss the extra room I have on my Fairbanks slope-shoulder, I don’t mind the D-18 as-is, though admittedly it’s similar to my Taylor, which I’ve had for 13 years.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I was in your exact position. I did sell my post-2012 D18, and I went the custom route.

I started with the redesigned standard, upgraded the top, back, sides, neck woods a tad, chose the same neck 1 11/16 but width /neck shape that existed before the redesign, and added a headstock inlay.

My neck is a nice full C, but with an 11/16 nut width.

Just be prepared... all in I paid a substantial premium over what an off-the-line standard costs. My cost was about $3,000. I am including my quote sheet below.

I LOVE MY GUITAR

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 01-15-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Try a Clapton model for a Modified V neck. They're readily available. And as previously mentioned, the D-18GE has a modified V neck profile as do some Authentics, the HD-28V, and a few others. Try enough and you'll find that there are some differences in Modified V necks. I have two dreads with the modified V and each is a bit different. I believe they get individual attention when carved. Also based on the string spacing at the bridge, one neck might be a bit wider/narrower at the 12th fret.

I liked the Clapton carve and string spacing, so even though that's a short scale guitar I had my Custom Shop dread spec'd the same regarding neck shape and bridge spacing. No regrets at all.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated. @themissal thanks for sharing your specs. Hopefully since I wouldn't be making any changes or upgrades, just keeping it a standard D-18 with a different neck. The upcharge wouldn't make it that much more than an off the shelf D-18. I'm still in the return window for the D-18 so I wouldn't have to sell it. Have spent a fair amount of time with the guitar, don't think I am going to get use to the neck. It's not just that it feels too thin and would like a thicker/fuller neck, it seems like I am getting hand fatigue. So it's an issue of comfort as well and I am not having these problems with my other necks. The places around me don't have many different Martins where I could try a variety of necks.

Thanks again

Last edited by t.strings; 01-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 PM

track down a used D-18V
Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYfish View Post
track down a used D-18V
This!
All of the best features of the new D18, with a 1-11/16 nut width and mod-V neck.

I bought a 2005 D-18V for myself and I love it to pieces. Great sound and a better feeling neck than a new 18.

I'm tempted to say that a D-18V will often sound even better than a post-2012 D18. I realize that doesn't make sense and there's no reason why they should. The characteristics important to sound are essentially the same in both models. Still, I'm tempted to say the D-18V often sounds even better than the post-12 D-18.

I won't insist on it though.

Of course YMMV but I'd try a D-18V before ordering a custom.

Uncle R.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
This!
All of the best features of the new D18, with a 1-11/16 nut width and mod-V neck.

I bought a 2005 D-18V for myself and I love it to pieces. Great sound and a better feeling neck than a new 18.

I'm tempted to say that a D-18V will often sound even better than a post-2012 D18. I realize that doesn't make sense and there's no reason why they should. The characteristics important to sound are essentially the same in both models. Still, I'm tempted to say the D-18V often sounds even better than the post-12 D-18.

I won't insist on it though.

Of course YMMV but I'd try a D-18V before ordering a custom.

Uncle R.
I also think this may be a great solution for you... and the D18Vs are out there.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone. Since the D-18V has been mentioned a few times, does anyone know what a good price would be for one? That way I can have an idea on the price range if I happen to find one.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM

My advice, for what it's worth, is to see if you can reduce the tension or squeezing pressure in your left hand. I suspect that you are pressing on the strings harder than you need to if your hand is cramping up.

I used to be pretty sensitive to neck profiles. Two things happened to change that. First, I learned to play with less pressure on the strings ( something I'm still working on), and second, I spent a lot of time playing guitarists with different neck profiles. I now find it pretty easy to play a variety of neck profiles.

Good luck finding what works for you.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 PM

Since the D-18 is new to you, give it time. Be patient. It takes time to bind with something new.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 PM

Sadly I parted ways with my D-18 years ago because of the neck. Great guitar but just was not comfortable for me long term. I have owned 4 Martins in my life... D-1, D-18, OM-21, and 000-18e retro. All sold and it was sad. Wish they fit me but they don’t. I do think they are amazing, just not for mua.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

D18v’s seem to go for around $2000 give or take a hundred or so...
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

I, too, sold my 2016 D18 due to neck profile and taper. I prefer the modified low oval above all else with the modified V on the D18V as a runner up. All the guitars in my signature have C to D shaped necks. There are a lot of fish in the sea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion