The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-23-2023, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
No, under $2k.

It's extremely possible I overpaid, but this is the first X5 I've personally seen for sale, and all my research into it before deciding to buy it was they are normally steel string, but this one is a nylon.

From my perspective, referring to a unit of money as "a bill" has always meant a $100 bill. When you get to $1,000, you are talking "grand" or "Gs"... but, it's your money and you can call it what you want.

Not a lot of X5s for research, because there weren't a lot of them produced. Add in the nylon string and a slotted headstock, and you are making it even more unique.

As far as considering it a "classical," the X5 is a small guitar. Really small. My previous gen X7 is my smallest guitar, and the X5 is significantly smaller. No idea what the fretboard radius is on the X5, or if the guitar you are getting is flatter due to the nylon strings.

It will be interesting to get your perspective on it when it shows up.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
From my perspective, referring to a unit of money as "a bill" has always meant a $100 bill. When you get to $1,000, you are talking "grand" or "Gs"... but, it's your money and you can call it what you want.

Not a lot of X5s for research, because there weren't a lot of them produced. Add in the nylon string and a slotted headstock, and you are making it even more unique.

As far as considering it a "classical," the X5 is a small guitar. Really small. My previous gen X7 is my smallest guitar, and the X5 is significantly smaller. No idea what the fretboard radius is on the X5, or if the guitar you are getting is flatter due to the nylon strings.

It will be interesting to get your perspective on it when it shows up.
I'm probably wrong about "bills". I'm okay with that.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how it actually *plays* and sounds.
I looked at all the angles, and like the X10 Slimline Nylon, I think the minimum is good enough to be worth keeping at that price. If all it ends up being is a guitar just loud enough for me to take on trips, that's fine. If it projects enough for performing in front of small groups, or if the K&K means I can use it in any performance, then it's just a bonus.

I will definitely report back what I think.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 11-24-2023, 06:33 AM

Interesting discussion. The x5 OS … is I believe stands for offset sound hole and was my first CF guitar back in the day. Mine was steel string in black. It was the second generation. First generation had a center sound hole. Lots of fond memories of that little guitar and wish I kept it and added a neck pick up to it. It would have made a cool small hollow body electric guitar. Small sounding and once I played the cargo I put the x5 OS up for sale. Good memories guys… thanks for sharing!
Old 11-24-2023, 07:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Just to be the killjoy I usually am....I don't shop for or buy guitars I don't need regardless of the price. If I just had a healthy and filling dinner and then see half off at another place I don't go in and order.

There was a pretty serious discussion here not long ago about compulsive behavior in regards to guitar purchases. I don't know enough to say this applies to the OP, but it's something for them to think about maybe.
If you have a good eye, good knowledge, good taste, and a good sense of adventure, you can make some profit. And even if you don’t, you can still be greatly entertained.

Not everyone participates.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 11-24-2023, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I’m really curious how the X5 plays and sounds. I wasn’t aware that Emerald had made anything smaller than an X7.

I picked up a used second generation X7 nylon with the intention of using it as a nylon strung traveler. It’s worked marvelously for that but it is also great to play around the house and on the porch. It’s just a great little guitar.

Keep us posted once you get your X5.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-24-2023, 02:59 PM

Default Acquisition Obsession

As far as that goes, I don't really think I have an actual *problem*.

Of course, I don't owe anyone an explanation. The Title I gave originally was intended to feel sheepish, but I can understand how it might come across as seeking forgiveness (as one does with strangers when you can't get it from a spouse) or something.

But there's now an Emerald 12-string for not too bad a price on Reverb, popped up just now.
Didn't move the Lust Needle for me.
There are a couple really nice X-30s, like a vivid Red carbon weave I think it priced cheaply enough to be a bargain over buying new, and a pretty cocobolo top that's even cheaper.
Still, no stirring of Guitar Lust, because I was already happy with the GXi and now I'm even happier with the Rainsong Dreadnought.

I think the only reason I feel sheepish at all is I struggled for literally weeks over whether to buy an X-10 Slimline Nylon at all. Then whether to get one in-stock, or go all out and get a custom one with a wider nut and slotted headstock (because I love it on the X20). I wanted more of a classical guitar feel and more of an elecric nylon ping/pop, and I didn't want to take the chance on both with a fully custom one.

When the in-stock gave me more of the pop/treble/ping I wanted (which i am growing to associate with thinner bodies, so there is less resonance and it sounds more plasticky, toylike, and "rubber bands on a cardboard box"-like, and for some insane reason I actually *like* that sound), and when I found out my credit card let me make payments for TWO YEARS with 0% interest (an unexpected bonus), I thought about going ahead and getting the custom one, too. But I couldn't justify ANOTHER X-10 Slimline Nylon, custom or not.

Then, as I've already said briefly, all the talk about Rainsong shuttering reminded me of just how much I liked the first one I ever played. I grew less impressed with them as time went on and I owned and sold a few. I always managed to find one in great condition somewhere cheap, so I would buy it and then sell the one I already had for between $400 and $600 profit. I did that three times.

There was never ANYTHING wrong with any of them, and it wasn't that they were getting worse, it was more a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

And, of course, I did that while having an acoustic guitar was more 'check the box' backup for a half-forgotten skill-set.

But, as I said, hearing everyone else's reviews/impressions of Rainsong reminded me of why I originally loved them.

So when I saw the Dreadnought (which attracts me more than an Orchestral or Parlor size) drop in price from $1600 or $1800 all the way to $1k, I figured it was a worth a risk. Even if both Music Go Round and I were ignorant enough to not realize they originally sold for $1k.

The thing is, supply/demand rules always apply.

The only Rainsong that would interest me was going to be a dreadnought, because I'm not giving up my emerald Emerald X10.

The cheapest Rainsong Dreadnought on Reverb is $1785. The cheapest, and ONLY, Rainsong Dreadnought from Guitar Center is $1600. No Rainsong Dreadnoughts at all on eBay or Music Go Round.

And checking all these, there is not one Rainsong or Emerald carbon fiber guitar ANYWHERE for under $1500.

If $1k was overpriced, I don't think it was by much. They might have dropped the price again, but if they did, there was an increasing chance someone else felt like I did, that it was too good to pass up, and then I'd be back at the $1600 price being my only options.

So I got it.

And this time, I was done.

And then I saw the X5.

Nylon. Wide nut. Slotted headstock. Under $2k, even after taxes and shipping, after my lowball offer was accepted.

But now I really think I am done. There's just very little out there that could attract me.

If I see an X30 of just about any Emerald harp guitar under $1800, or a Rainsong JZ1000 for under $2500, all bets are off.

Does any of this matter to anyone except me?

No.

But I like to talk about guitars. It's why I'm here. If you don't like to read about me talking about guitars, I apologize, but not sure how to stop.
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-24-2023, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

No need to stop. If someone doesn't like reading about you talking about guitars, they can skip to the next thread. Enjoy what you're doing.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I'm with Jim on this, if you enjoy it (I would) keep it up ! I recently learned how short life is, if you can do it with out hurting anyone (sounds like you are) I applaud you, and there are some of us that enjoy reading about it.

As far as prices...look at what a CA Cargo sold for new 10 years ago and what they sell for now. What a guitar sold for 10 years (or so) ago means nothing today. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Last edited by jdinco; 11-25-2023 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
No need to stop. If someone doesn't like reading about you talking about guitars, they can skip to the next thread. Enjoy what you're doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I'm with Jim on this, if you enjoy it (I would) keep it up ! I recently learned how short life is, if you can do it with out hurting anyone (sounds like you are) I applaud you, and there are some of us that enjoy reading about it.

As far as prices...look at what a CA Cargo sold for new 10 years ago and what they sell for know. What a guitar sold for 10 years (or so) ago means nothing today. Enjoy and keep us posted.
Where’s the ‘like’ button?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-24-2023, 10:47 PM

I agree, there are a bunch of posts I'd like to hit a like button for.

But I will definitely be providing my impressions of the differences between the various carbon fiber acoustic guitars I have had the chance to try.

Soon.
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-01-2023, 06:01 PM

It appears my stupidity has limits.
Even with some new in-stock guitars being priced very cheaply (like a B-stock, no pickup for $1800, I think), and a few more popping up on Reverb at reasonable prices, I haven't been tempted to get any more.

I might actually be done.

I mean, I wasn't going to get another one after the Rainsong, but an X5 OS is so rare, and it had the wider nut and slotted headstock that would have cost nearly 3 times as much had I done a custom...I did not know if I would ever see another one at that price again, so I had to get it.

But with that out of the way, there really is nothing that tempts me.

The more I play, the more I think I like the brighter tone and don't really need an X30.

My wife gets back in town on the 15th, and I promised her no new guitars for 5 years. So we'll see if I develop any new needs in that 5 year hiatus.
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-02-2023, 04:56 PM

Five years is a long time!

My wife says she doesn’t care about my guitar problem, but I try to keep it somewhat break even nowadays. If I’m going to make a big guitar purchase I’ll sell some gear before or after to offset it.

Next up to go will be my ‘65 and ‘67/‘68 Bandmaster amps. They’ve shot way up in value since I bought them 20 years ago. And I just don’t play them. Too big to gig so they just sit there. And maybe my CA OX; we’ll see. And possibly my US Reverend Rocco.

I also have two pedal boards full of lovely pedals, which is absurd. But no sale plans yet.

-T
Old 12-02-2023, 06:05 PM

...I don't think I've gone even ONE calendar year without purchasing a guitar since probably 2006.

I will make it 5 years tho.

I think I used buying/selling as a way to feel like i was doing something when I didn't have any realistic playing goal.

Now I have a thousand songs to learn to sing and play on acoustic.

I guess for the first time in decades, I feel keenly that I can only play one guitar at a time. And the spread I have satisfies me.

After I sell my GXi, I won't really have a deep/boomy jumbo, but I think I'm starting to relish the bright playability of the X10. I also have a Rainsong Dreadnought that sounds very full and lush for me for steel string, also easy to play, and I feel a little internal pressure to own at least *one* Rainsong.

The widest range is my nylons, from a Mountain Guitarlele to an X10 Slimline Nylon to a Cordoba Stage to an X20 Nylon to a Journey OC660. I feel like I can do anything I want to with those, and the X5 OS Nylon hasn't even arrived yet! The X5 will add a nice wide nut, and also an different kind of travel guitar from the Journey.

I did pick up a Mitchell mahogany dreadnought yesterday, because I want an acoustic without any electronics, but I don't really want to buy *another* carbon fiber for the few times I'll use this. It was $159 and actually sounds and plays really well. I'm no Martin/Taylor officiando, but hide the logo, tell me its a high-end Alvarez or Breedlove and I might believe you.

And I'm really done. Saw this, and while it isn't a great deal, it's a good deal even in light of the ongoing Black Friday sale...and with 45 days to return and 6 months to pay, I could have easily talked myself into this. But I don't want it.

I'm done, and I think 5 years might be easy, now.
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-23-2023, 10:28 AM

Default last moment of stupidity

Just wrote a post talking about how I was over my stupidity.
How I love my guitars and for the first time in my life, I feel keenly the truth that I can only play one guitar at a time.
How the Rainsong Vault had a guitar that interested me, but even after figuring out how I could afford it (a credit card I don't normally use has a program that after you make a purchase, you can pay it off in installments over 2 years, interest free...makes a $4k guitar into just $167/month), I decided I didn't really want or need it.
I mean, I only wanted it because it had the Maui Girl inlay, which was only 1st generation (I think). And how, although I love nylon string guitars, I have enough of them, with a spread from a guitar-uke to the X5 to the X10 Slimline to the X20 to a Journey and a Cordoba Stage, so what did I need another one for, even if it was a Flamenco style and had a jazz neck and I realized if I didn't get it, I would probably regret it for decades and I talked myself into it.

So it's on the way now.

But I really don't think there's anything else that special enough to make me willing to buy another one.

Seriously, this time.

Honest.

I think.

We'll see.

5 year countdown starts on New Year's Day.
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-23-2023, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Hi - my name is Jim and I'm a guitar addict. My friends think I have a problem, but I don't... I can quit any time I want. I mean, if I thought I needed to quit. But, I don't. But, I could.

Probably.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber