The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Martin D-18, confused about guitar prices in general

So, as many of you saw in my recent post regarding my Larivee and my discovery that, after 10-11 years with it, I am discovering maybe it isn't the best fit for me. You know that i am now out looking at various guitars (Martin specifically as that was my other choice at the time!)

In my discoveries I have realized why the Martin D-18 is so beloved by many (not all, yes i know) and utilized as a benchmark to some degree for the dreadnaught style.

This is the guitar that i have boiled it down to. For me, nothing feels like it and nothing plays like it and i will have one, thank you very much.

At any rate, I am a little confused in regards to guitar pricing. I know there is a tremendous amount of mark-up in the industry from what is "advertized" as the MSRP (You know, the high number that is always crossed out on the price tag....everywhere) to what the guitar is listed at for sale at that moment.

The new D-18 seems to have a minimum advertised price of $2459 as it seems that is what is shown everywhere. I also understand that is the min advertised price....but what should I be looking to spend on a new D18? like, for real!

Just trying to figure out what is realistic for a new D-18 and what is too high. thanks for any and all help!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

A d-18 has a list price of $3099. You can get it from one of our forum sponsors for 60% of that. That's $1860. GC should match that price. I don't know about other major sellers, but our forum sponsors will give you 60% off just for asking and send it to you free shipping, not sales tax.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
A d-18 has a list price of $3099. You can get it from one of our forum sponsors for 60% of that. That's $1860. GC should match that price. I don't know about other major sellers, but our forum sponsors will give you 60% off just for asking and send it to you free shipping, not sales tax.

That's astonishing! I had no idea I could capture one that cheap!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweave69 View Post

Bear in mind that you won't get the chance to 'try before you buy', but those 'modern' D-18s are astonishingly consistent - they only seem to build good 'uns! I've purchased three Martins, including the two in my signature, from MFG sight-unseen, shipped Florida - UK, all three were/are outstanding guitars, all 60% of MRSP.

And you can usually return an instrument within a given time but, obviously, the return shipping cost would be on you.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester0711 View Post
In my discoveries I have realized why the Martin D-18 is so beloved by many (not all, yes i know) and utilized as a benchmark to some degree for the dreadnaught style.

This is the guitar that i have boiled it down to. For me, nothing feels like it and nothing plays like it and i will have one, thank you very much.
Good call! I finally got one a few weeks ago and it's a great guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Bear in mind that you won't get the chance to 'try before you buy', but those 'modern' D-18s are astonishingly consistent - they only seem to build good 'uns!
Agreed on this. I had a crush on the D-18 as soon as they refreshed it in 2012 and played at least a baker's dozen of them over the years. It's a consistently wonderful guitar -- there wasn't one of those D-18s I didn't want to take home.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the new (2012) D-18. It could be the "if I could only have one" guitar but that topic has been beat to near death. The D-18 is great!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweave69 View Post

Yes you can!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 PM

I’m gonna be a bit of a wet blanket. First I think the Martin craftsmanship is great as well as their consistency, I do however believe that the standard martins rely a lot on their name. Sound wise I believe that you cane get just as good or better sound from other brands for the same price. I did play one standard d18 that was truly great but I played several after that was just so so and sounded more on par with $800 China guitars. If u have the time/funds I’d suggest you look into their higher up guitars. I played one D18 that vibrated the chair I was setting on. I don’t remember the model it was it was in the $3k range.
All that being said the D18 in general is a fine guitar that sounds good and maintains a good resell value if that is something u care about. I personally chose a mahogany Gibson j45 over the martin tho that’s why I tend to suggest that folks shop around trying different guitars
Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Is this ~60% true throughout the lineup... D-28, etc?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
I played one D18 that vibrated the chair I was setting on. I don’t remember the model it was it was in the $3k range.
That sounds like a D-18GE...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Generally, yes.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Even my custom shop Martin was at 60% off.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 PM

Default Gibson?

Are Gibson’s discounts the same, ie 20% off MAP?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
I’m gonna be a bit of a wet blanket. First I think the Martin craftsmanship is great as well as their consistency, I do however believe that the standard martins rely a lot on their name. Sound wise I believe that you cane get just as good or better sound from other brands for the same price. I did play one standard d18 that was truly great but I played several after that was just so so and sounded more on par with $800 China guitars. If u have the time/funds I’d suggest you look into their higher up guitars. I played one D18 that vibrated the chair I was setting on. I don’t remember the model it was it was in the $3k range.
All that being said the D18 in general is a fine guitar that sounds good and maintains a good resell value if that is something u care about. I personally chose a mahogany Gibson j45 over the martin tho that’s why I tend to suggest that folks shop around trying different guitars
I’ll be a warm blanket just to offer another perspective.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I’d had my eye on the D-18 for at least six years. I already owned two really great guitars — a Taylor dreadnought and a Fairbanks slope-shoulder patterned after a late 30s J-35. I thought it would be cool to add a Martin flavor to my Taylor and Gibsonesque guitars.

As I mentioned, I played lots of D-18s. Never once was I underwhelmed. Had the circumstances been right, I’d have been happy to bring any of them home with me.

I didn’t only play the standard series D-18s. I played a number of Martins. I played several examples of a number of classic dreadnoughts, from the D-28 to the HD-28V to the D-35. Tried some non-dreadnought shapes too, like the 000-18 and the OM-28. I also played a D-18 Authentic or two.

I didn’t just play Martins. I played several Collings D1 and D1A models. Played a couple Huss & Dalton TD-M guitars. Pretty sure I played a Bourgeois, and I played a couple luthier-built mahogany dreadnoughts as well. On the other side of the cost spectrum, I played an Eastman or two, several Larrivees, and even a handful of Yamahas (which I think are fantastic at their price point).

When it was all said and done, the D-18 was the one, regardless of price. It had the look, feel, and tone I was looking for in a classic dreadnought. Martin did it right when they refreshed the D-18, and though it’s not a cheap guitar, I think it’s still a bang-for-buck guitar considering the cost of models it favorably compares with.

I realize that my experience is just that — my experience. I know that guitars can vary from one to the next, and I know personal preferences for aesthetics, playability, and sound come into play pretty quickly when auditioning guitars, especially if for keeps.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, I highly recommend the D-18.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

I believe the Sponsor Discount will be 40% off of any guitar above Road Series. Road Series will be about 35%. X series smaller discount. Dread Jr gets no discount. All with free shipping and no tax.

I find Martin guitars to be very consistent and they have the tone that I want. Not everyone appreciates that sound but a lot of us do. And, I don't have a d-18, I just don't like throwing my arm over that big body. I have an OM-18 that is the most amazing guitar I've ever touched.

(of course, the obligatory photo)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion