The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Songwriting Duo - How to grow the project, and copyright info?

I have a fantastic writing chemistry with a female singer and we are looking at different avenues to get our (Folk/Country) songs recognized. So far, we are playing a local songwriter showcase (next week) and continuing to write for our first CD to be recorded in the spring.

What to do? Submit to contests? Just play and sell CDs? MySpace? I'm looking for the best ways to get the songs and project recognized. thanks!

Brian

Last edited by plaintop; 01-02-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaintop View Post
I have a fantastic writing chemistry with a female singer and we are looking at different avenues to get our (Folk/Country) songs recognized. So far, we are playing a local songwriter showcase (next week) and continuing to write for our first CD to be recorded in the spring.

What to do? Submit to contests? Just play and sell CDs? MySpace? I'm looking for the best ways to get the songs and project recognized. thanks!

Brian

Playing the devil's advocate - first rule of business is to protect what is yours. Everything is wonderful now until she gets a boyfriend who starts whispering in her ear how she doesn't need you and walks off with your best stuff. Make sure you copyright your music.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM

How should copyright work?

She writes the majority of the lyrics (so far). She just happens to have a bunch of stuff and many of the songs have been written since the project started six months ago. Most of the melodies in the vocals are her creations. I bring the song to life, and wrap interesting guitar arrangements around her vocals, and in some cases have written the melody in parts of the song just by working with her and the song structure. We spend a lot of time building the songs. They are well crafted, and very thoughtful.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 AM

Here's a link on sharing credit for writing if it helps...

http://andreastolpe.berkleemusicblog...ters-co-write/

And an example of a split-sheet...

http://andreastolpe.berkleemusicblog...r-split-sheet/

Mark
Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM

So, I still don't get this copyright business!! If she writes all the lyrics and the melodies (mostly), and I write the arrangement and produce the song...WHO OWNS THE SONG???? And what is copyright and why?

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Unless you write part of the melody or lyrics or are the publishing company for your duo, you have no writer or publisher copyright in the underlying song unless she credits you. ("Nashville custom" on co-writes is to give everyone equal credit on both words & music, no matter how much or how little they contributed to either and no matter how many co-writers). Your copyrights are in the arrangement and the sound recording itself. (And she owns part of the latter as a major performing artist on the cut--exceptions would be "works for hire," or sidemen who get paid union scale or otherwise have some sort of compensation agreement).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Thank you Sandy! That's really where we are right now. She wants the flexibility of owning the melody and the lyrics, but I still believe the final product is really where the magic of the collaboration exists (we both realize that actually), and I think it will attract much more attention than the former. I don't believe it's taken a toll on our relationship. We're old, and drama free I'm 37 she's 41, but I can see where the copyright laws can really come between songwriters.

Note to self, start writing my own lyrics and melodies OR move to Nashville!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
She wants the flexibility of owning the melody and the lyrics, .....
That's not flexibility. That's actually the whole song.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 PM

..but she wrote the core songs. What say do I have?

The arrangements are very, very good. We both agree that what we have is rare and unique. We have the perfect compliment of skills, but I'm guessing that will evolve and change over time. I have lyrics, but we seemed to have focused on hers sense they were, well... hers!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
..but she wrote the core songs. What say do I have?

The arrangements are very, very good. We both agree that what we have is rare and unique. We have the perfect compliment of skills, but I'm guessing that will evolve and change over time. I have lyrics, but we seemed to have focused on hers sense they were, well... hers!
Well, if she is willing to do what it takes to make an amicable partnership, she could always assign you some or all of the publisher's share of the copyright. It's what many new or untested songwriters have to do (usually giving it to the hit artist or producer) to get a song they wrote "cut" by a major artist. There are those (usually successful singer/songwriters on indie labels) who would urge one to never give up part of the publishing, but fact is, retaining 100% of a song that will never get airplay is a poorer deal than retaining 25% (75% if the publisher is also the writer) of the royalties from a massive hit if the price you pay to have it cut is to give up half "the publishing." In your case, her keeping all the publishing might lead you to refuse to allow the release of the recording (since you own all of the arrangement and at least half the copyright for the sound recording), forcing her to either record it with a different producer or have a different artist cut it.....in which case she'd probably have to give up part of the publishing anyway.

It is a delicate balance and a test of the strength of a partnership, and I'm not going to lie to you--musical (and other) partnerships often break up over money or misunderstandings about each other's motivations about money. Among my friends, I've seen at least two couples' engagements broken (one the night of the bachelor party) over one party insisting on a prenup. ("If you really loved me, you would sign this and agree not to take advantage of my money if we divorce" vs. "Well, if you really loved me, you wouldn't be trying to protect your money and thinking about divorce before we even marry").

Only you two can decide if your artistic partnership is strong enough to withstand mutually protecting your financial interests.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks Sandy, your insight here has been fantastic. I guess I'll now go learn what it means to have arrangement and song copyrights.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell