The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:23 PM

Plus I had a cat "Imp" or "Impy" for short that made it to 18 years... she seemed tom like my piano playing back in the day.... way before CF guitars...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-17-2018, 07:39 PM

Impy did play for me too...

Here she is listening to Jazz from WRVR Radio outa New York..Bic Venturi Speakers

My guitar playing back then was for the...well you know and even then ify..

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

This thread is approaching 300 posts, too. I've laid off it for a month, but the time is coming to make "that decision" again. Yeah, we've been home for just over two months - I feel those feet getting itchy. The boat has been put away and the "what's going with us?" discussion is underway. The Blonde said, "Bring both Emeralds and quit fussing about it." The X7 got to go on the last trip, I'm thinking it will be the X20's turn... but, the X7 is such a good fit in our compact motorhome. Sigh. Deja vu?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

My guitar room is "put away." Oh, the room is still there, but the guitars are in cases, ready for climate control storage. Stuff is unplugged. The Blonde said to me, "Are you going to play for me this morning?"

Sometimes I'll bring a guitar out to the living room and play on the couch. She was doing some work on the computer, so not in "sit and listen" mode. Most of the time, I play plugged in, the way I play out; without as much volume. The Bose S1 is going with us, but isn't packed away. I decided to try what that compact amp/PA is made for...

I plugged the X7 in, turned the volume low, and sang un-miced... just a bit of reverb on the guitar. No vocal harmonies. Joan came in and said, "That sounds really good..."

The S1 on battery power. Easy. Nothing else. No mic, no stand, no harmonizer, no guitar effects. Nice guitar sound with the "naked" S1.

Rufus came in and sat beside the S1. Joan gave me applause from the other room. I haven't brought an amp or PA along since we downsized to this current motorhome. I'm looking forward to having the S1 along.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Happy Birthday, America, and happy Independence Day to the folks on the CF sub-forum!

We are north, where the weather is cooler and the roads are more fun on the scoots...

Being in a tourist destination area, we decided to spend the day around our RV site rather than going out and about. There was a 4th of July parade through the resort this morning: mostly golf cars and side-by-side 4-wheelers (UTVs) decked out with red, white, and blue decorations. Lots of smiling kids and folks waving.

Early this afternoon, we gave Rufus some patio time, and I played relatively quiet and relaxed...

Who says you can't have a vacation when you're retired?
Old 07-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Looks like you're having way too much fun up there, Cap'n.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

What is that scooter in the picture? I did not get a Ural, but I did get a Honda Elite 80 for cruising around the village. First I have to get it running.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

What is that scooter in the picture? I did not get a Ural, but I did get a Honda Elite 80 for cruising around the village. First I have to get it running.
Hi Evan - congrats on the Elite. Hope you get it up and running and have fun with it. We have a pair of Honda PCX 150s and a Vespa GTS 250ie; Joan's PCX and my Vespa are with us on this trip.

I got my first motorcycle in 1967 and have been riding since; taught Joan to ride on my Triumph Bonneville when we were in high school. The Blonde, guitars, and motorcycles have been the constants in my life.

Just over 5 years ago, a hip issue was making it hard for me to toss a leg over my motorcycle; Joan suggested we get a couple scooters. I was not in favor of that, but we compromised... and got scooters. As always, she knew what I needed, and we have been having a blast with those small scoots. We don't do the long distance riding we did in our younger years, but we have hauled scoots around, enjoying the riding in some great places.

I picked up the Vespa a couple months ago. The PCX is a little smaller, but plenty peppy; they have a top speed of around 68mph. Sporty and fun in the twisties. The Vespa has a higher top speed. Like having different guitars, I enjoy both of those scoots.

We've had Harleys, Goldwings, BMWs, and other motorcycles over the years - I didn't expect to enjoy these small scooters so much.

Here's a blast from the past for you, Evan...

That was from around 1981 - our daughter was 8 when we got her that first motorcycle.

After getting the scoots...

For full disclosure, I have had more motorcycles than guitars. (Probably because I tend to hang onto guitars longer.)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Guest 928

Thank you Jim. I've had two bikes in my past, one was a 650 Triumph that was a delight. I've never owned a scoot, but I've admired the big ones--you have a great collection, and a smart wife.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Jim, may I ask how tall the "blonde" is? Looking at scoots for my wife who is barely over 5'. I just picked up a Honda Grom, kind of a 125cc mini bike. It is a blast, I love riding it and ride it a lot more than the CB1100. I may sell the big bike as I don't do the long trips anymore either. Kind of a waste just sitting there. I can't figure out how to tie this post to a guitar. A CF guitar at that.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Guest 928

JD;

Is your bike the same color as your CF guitar? Do you change the oil when you change the strings on your CF guitar? Does your bike have the same get-up-go as your CF guitar? Can you carry your CF guitar while riding your bike? I see lots of relational possibilities.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Jim, may I ask how tall the "blonde" is? Looking at scoots for my wife who is barely over 5'. I just picked up a Honda Grom, kind of a 125cc mini bike. It is a blast, I love riding it and ride it a lot more than the CB1100. I may sell the big bike as I don't do the long trips anymore either. Kind of a waste just sitting there. I can't figure out how to tie this post to a guitar. A CF guitar at that.
Joan is 5'7". I am taller than she is, her legs are longer than mine. The Honda PCX has a seat height of 29.9"; it carries the weight low, so is easy to balance. I am familiar with the Grom. I tried one on at a dealer when they first came out, and Joan said, "You look like a Weeble." As I recall, the seat height on the Grom is 30". If your wife is good with the seat on the Grom, she will really like the PCX. Another interesting scoot she might want to take a look at is the Genuine Buddy 125. About the same seat height as the PCX, but less weight. I think the PCX is a more capable scooter, but the Buddy has a good following.

To keep this CF guitar-centric: Joan's PCX is the same color as my Emerald X7.

Looks like this thread is about out of posts, almost at that 300 number.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
JD;

Is your bike the same color as your CF guitar? Do you change the oil when you change the strings on your CF guitar? Does your bike have the same get-up-go as your CF guitar? Can you carry your CF guitar while riding your bike? I see lots of relational possibilities.
Funny you ask !! The colors do match my X20. LOL I changed strings yesterday, but the oil has a while to go. The way I ride lately, it wouldn't be a good idea to carry any sort of guitar. Unless it was concrete.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

Jd;

The Buddy is a good choice. A Stella might also work. The Metropolitan may be a bit underpowered, but worth looking into. Good luck in the search.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Oh no...#300 ! Thanks for the info Jim and Evan, yeah, I'm sure I look worse than a weeble on the Grom, but if I was worried about what others think, I would not have made it this far. Funny thing about the Grom is that I never see anyone looking or paying attention to me except little kids. I know they are lusting for my Grom. LOL. She does not fit on the Grom. I'll check out the other recommendations.

I sold my X7, to buy a new X7...but sure would like to see some reviews from those on this site. I know i can't go wrong....so I shouldn't care too much. But have until the end of July to decide.

Please start another "pretty much anything goes along with the guitars" thread. Thanks !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber