The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Worth Repairing - 1930s Harmony H1009TL

On the in-laws farm here in Saskatchewan, hanging on the wall above me as I type, is a Harmony H1009TL, from what I can tell. 12-fret, slightly larger body than a standard-fare parlour. Floating tailpiece... There is no label on the headpiece - my guess is there was a sticker that has long since rubbed away. The tailpiece is one of those pre-WW2 "twisted metal" types, w/two screws holding it in place, not he underside of the guitar. The back and sides seem fine, though the back is separated slightly on the lower end. The top has sunken and basically caved in in due to dreaded lack of humidity and string tension. Straight-line cracks, up and down the grain cracks, for the most part. Bracing has cracked up top, below where the neck meets the body. Everything is there, though. All original. Wondering, other than for sentimental/family heirloom value, would it be worth restoring (I know I cold purchase the same, cheaper than the restoration, and I'm not a luthier). I'll try and post photos soon.

(Also found a 30's Harmony mandolin, good condition other than a crack along the grain that would be easy to fix. Solid spruce top. My kids are viola/violin players, my younger/10 year old daughter is already playing it. Strings have to be 50 years old. Still bright and punchy!)

Thanks in advance.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Can't evaluate without photos.
Ed
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Harmony H1009TL

I found one of these, as well, on the in-laws farm this week, sunken/broken top, but all there, in need of restoration. This was my wife's grandfather's, and my heart says "bring it back to life". My head says, "Why spend the money?" This would be a family heirloom restoration, if these have any significant value, meaning, any real value at all. Where did these rank, in terms of pre-war parlours? This is a 12-fret, bigger body, so maybe more like 000 size...

Thanks!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 AM

well, it's not really a "parlor" and it was made in 1940. catalog correct model number is F1009TL. likely has the "idento" bridge -where you stuck your business card. comes "equipped" with a birch top and back.

harmony and their ilk littered the earth with their wares and as such their value is interpretive.

pix would help.

Last edited by arie; 05-21-2018 at 08:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
1930's harmony h1009tl