The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-13-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Reminds me of my dad fussing about "cat gut" strings way back when.
From the term "Cat gut your tongue?" ok maybe not... but still my try the John Pearce Folks on said Savoy.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Guest 928

I should apologize for ribbing those of you trying nylon strings on steel string guitars. While I have made the attempt many times that does not mean that the try is destined for failure (as Strumalot indicates).

As hybrid guitars and strings continue to evolve it seems that at some point steel and nylon might come together. Kramster's notion of trying the John Pearce Folk strings on his Savoy may be a step in the right direction.

Stumalot doesn't say what he is using on his Savoy, but I would guess he is using high tension strings. Refinements of soundboard materials and bracing along with nylon string advancements might well produce a multi-purpose instrument. Interesting stuff.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
but still my try the John Pearce Folks on said Savoy.
The JPs sound like they could be gateway strings to becoming a true nylon addict.

With that bit of caution aside, I would be very interested in the results of that experiment. With the D'Addarios, the Savoy is a mellow machine.

The JPs might kick that up a notch, which would be a useful variation.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-13-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Evan, I am using D'Addario Folk nylons because I had 'em available. They play nice on the Savoy (my friend said it played like his PRS electric!) and they sound warm and rich. On the X10N, they sound comparatively thinner and brighter with much less sustain. The Savoy sort of has some analog warmth while the X10N is more precise and "digital."

It took about a week for the wound strings to chill out and balance well with the trebles. Now, for my purposes, the Savoy is perfect and I don't think the soundboard needs any "for nylon" tweaking. In fact, any changes except for making the bridge tie-on compatible would be a downgrade for me.

This does, however, open up a lot of possibiities. I am using the Savoy as a sidekick to the GX for times when I want a softer sound or to just kick back with a smaller guitar. It would cool to see other designs for other uses.

In any form, I see eKoa and Joe's instrument designs as a breakthrough to a multiple use steel/nylon instrument. As I have mentioned, the Savoy does a credible job with both types of strings, and at the moment, I am preferring the nylons.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Evan, Carlos Montoya was 73 years old when I saw him deliver a stunning solo guitar concert performance in Omaha, NE in 1976. I was 19 yo at the time and I had a part time job delivering medication at a pharmacy. This was an old fashioned drugstore with a bar - like "soda fountain". A regular customer was a Spanish (or Hispanic, I'm not sure which) gentleman who was a salesman at a nearby men's clothing store. When he found out that I played guitar AND payed Malaguena, he gave me his album of Carlos Montoya. That album was like magic to me! I was mesmerized by it.

I am happy with the unique sound of my X10N, which was the first nylon string guitar that Alistair built. And I am VERY MUCH looking forward to the NEW Cocobolo X10N that he has been working on for a year now.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Good story ceciltguitar...stuff like that is meant to happen.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

Cecil;

While you are hanging out and waiting, why not tell us exactly what you have coming? center or offset sound hole? Nut width? Scale? Cut-a-way? Electronics? You were a first scout in Alistair's search for a consummate nylon string CF guitar, and I look forward to hearing how the search is proceeding.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

- Cocobolo X 10 Nylon string cutaway

- Nut width 51.5 mm

- string separation at nut 41 mm 1st string to 6th string

- string separation at bridge 59 mm

- neck profile: "D" shape, similar to the Cordoba GK Pro, similar to the 1982 Sakurai concert classical (that I have had since 1982), 18 mm max thickness - I can still settle for 19 mm max neck thickness, but 18 is better if achievable. (Like Parker Nylon Fly) I LOVE the neck profile of the other X10 nylon string that you built for me 10 years ago!

Slotted headstock

Offset sound hole

Barbera pickup / amplification system
Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Guest 928

Cecil;

Thank you for the details. Now you have me on the tips of my toes waiting for your guitar. Maybe I'll ask Alistair to take a day away from my X10 electric and get down on your guitar. Or maybe not.

In an event, you and Alistair are making a unique instrument and I can understand why you might both be wanting to see/hear the finished product.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

And, that's a wrap...

I have spent 3 days with mediocre sound and fighting to keep those nylon strings in tune - I wanted my sweet X7 back. I took the nylons off this morning and put some Elixirs on... ahhhhhhh! Sweet tone. They stay in tune. All is good again.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

It's always nice to find one's judgment shared.

Stumalot's experience with the Savoy really surprises me. The Blackbird nylon Rider and limited edition nylon Super OM were excellent runs at competing with 500 years of wooden guitar development. Joe might hit the ball out of the park with a Savoy designed for nylon strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber