The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM

Default Cordoba guitars

Hi all. I'm just starting to learn classical style guitar playing. I've got a cheap Yamaha C40 right now but would like to buy a better instrument. A shop about 15 miles away stocks Cordoba. They have C3, C5, C7, C9, Fusion 12 Series and GK Ltd Edition in stock. Hoping to get there this coming Saturday to try some.
Are Cordoba models of this level a reasonable step up in playability from my Yamaha? All advice gratefully accepted. Many thanks. Ian
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM

I'd say that the C7 model and up are definite steps up from your C40.

Going with the C3 or C5 is probably a side step from the C40.

Then comes your personal preference in sound that you want from your guitar.

The Fusion and GK series are great guitars, but they don't have the "true classical style" sound. They might have a bit of Flamenco sound to them.

I loved my GK Studio and only sold it to purchase a GK Pro Negra with all solid wood. It's capable of sounding great in a number of genres outside of classical. BUT, I also play quite a few classical pieces on it that sound nice.

The Fusions are nice guitars too & have a lot of fans. But I didn't like the narrower 1.75" width at the nut necks with nylon strings.

If you are looking for the true classical sound, then the C7 or C9 are great choices. FWIW... There only difference between the C9 & the C10 is the materials used on the sides and backs.

Hope this helps

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
Hi all. I'm just starting to learn classical style guitar playing. I've got a cheap Yamaha C40 right now but would like to buy a better instrument. A shop about 15 miles away stocks Cordoba. They have C3, C5, C7, C9, Fusion 12 Series and GK Ltd Edition in stock. Hoping to get there this coming Saturday to try some.
Are Cordoba models of this level a reasonable step up in playability from my Yamaha? All advice gratefully accepted. Many thanks. Ian
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Guest 2143

I have played the Yamaha C40, Cordoba C5, C7, C9, and C10. The C9 cedar top appealed to me the most, by far. I thought the were all very good guitars for their respective prices.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I'd say that the C7 model and up are definite steps up from your C40.

Going with the C3 or C5 is probably a side step from the C40.

Then comes your personal preference in sound that you want from your guitar.

The Fusion and GK series are great guitars, but they don't have the "true classical style" sound. They might have a bit of Flamenco sound to them.

I loved my GK Studio and only sold it to purchase a GK Pro Negra with all solid wood. It's capable of sounding great in a number of genres outside of classical. BUT, I also play quite a few classical pieces on it that sound nice.

The Fusions are nice guitars too & have a lot of fans. But I didn't like the narrower 1.75" width at the nut necks with nylon strings.

If you are looking for the true classical sound, then the C7 or C9 are great choices. FWIW... There only difference between the C9 & the C10 is the materials used on the sides and backs.

Hope this helps

Dave
Thanks Dave. Appreciate the information. I accept that that Fusion Series have a narrower nut width. Presumably so that steel string players can get the sound of nylon with the feel and playability they are used to with their usual guitars. How does the tone of the Fusion and GK compare with the 'classical' C7 and C9 please?
Ian
Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I have played the Yamaha C40, Cordoba C5, C7, C9, and C10. The C9 cedar top appealed to me the most, by far. I thought the were all very good guitars for their respective prices.
Many thanks. Appreciate your help
Ian
Old 01-12-2018, 05:02 PM

In simple terms, the fusion and the GK series have slightly thinner bodies. So the acoustic sound isn't quite as full as what a "classical" guitar might sound.

In a lot of ways, that's a good thing. The fusion and GK series are capable of playing a wide variety of musical genre's.

QUOTE=Yanto;5600189]Thanks Dave. Appreciate the information. I accept that that Fusion Series have a narrower nut width. Presumably so that steel string players can get the sound of nylon with the feel and playability they are used to with their usual guitars. How does the tone of the Fusion and GK compare with the 'classical' C7 and C9 please?
Ian[/QUOTE]
Old 01-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Córdoba does a very good job of providing great guitars in pretty much every one of their price points. Personally, I prefer the more pure acoustic, traditional body types for byline string guitars. I had a Yamaha NTX Series nylon string and it was a great guitar for plugged in tone. However, I actually found the slightly narrower nut width caused problems for me, given the large string diameter and slinky nature of nylon strings. Also the thin body really hindered the normally sweet tone and resonance of a classical guitar. So now I have a Córdoba C5 and an Esteso and love them both.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
In simple terms, the fusion and the GK series have slightly thinner bodies. So the acoustic sound isn't quite as full as what a "classical" guitar might sound.

In a lot of ways, that's a good thing. The fusion and GK series are capable of playing a wide variety of musical genre's.

QUOTE=Yanto;5600189]Thanks Dave. Appreciate the information. I accept that that Fusion Series have a narrower nut width. Presumably so that steel string players can get the sound of nylon with the feel and playability they are used to with their usual guitars. How does the tone of the Fusion and GK compare with the 'classical' C7 and C9 please?
Ian
[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Dave. Looking at the Cordoba website, the body widths of the C7, C9 and Fusion 12 seem the same. The GK Studio Ltd is thinner.
I must admit that after playing them, I'm very interested in the Fusion 12.
Ian
Old 01-13-2018, 04:57 PM

What about the c12 is it worth the price

Dave
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 01-13-2018, 07:27 PM

Personally, I don't think that the price increase from the C10 to the C12 is worth it. Some people may love the elevated fretboard, but it didn't do anything for me.

The C9 & the C10 are the same guitars with changes to the woods.

Bottom line is it all comes down to your personal preference.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
What about the c12 is it worth the price

Dave
The C12's are lattice braced - a different animal tonally to my ear. The 9's and 10's are fan braced and definitely the sweet spot in the lineup.

I've got a C9 spruce that I wouldn't give up for anything. I've modified it a bit and it's sent some 3k used guitars down the road.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
Córdoba does a very good job of providing great guitars in pretty much every one of their price points. Personally, I prefer the more pure acoustic, traditional body types for byline string guitars. I had a Yamaha NTX Series nylon string and it was a great guitar for plugged in tone. However, I actually found the slightly narrower nut width caused problems for me, given the large string diameter and slinky nature of nylon strings. Also the thin body really hindered the normally sweet tone and resonance of a classical guitar. So now I have a Córdoba C5 and an Esteso and love them both.
It's not the thin body that hinders the sweet, lively acoustic tone. The NTX line and guitars similar to them are just built heavier, and inhibit vibration IMO. I had Spanish-made Cordoba FCWE, 55FCE (cypress) and 55FCE Ltd (ziricote). All had very thin bodies, but had great response and tone. No, they didn't have as bold, full and loud of an acoustic tone as the thicker-bodied Chinese Cordoba Luthier series that I prefer. But they sounded surprisingly good unplugged, and just as good plugged in. I'd say that they had 70-90% of the acoustic tone that the thicker bodies have.

The only reason that I sold them is because the necks are chunkier (I have small hands) and because I was unable to get the string action as low as I've been able to get my Luthier series instruments. Even with minimum neck relief set on the truss rod, and the saddles shaved all the way to the bridge... the action was higher than I wanted to live with. The Spanish Cordoba plant could learn some things from the Chinese plant about how to build a proper flamenco guitar (as wacky as that may sound).
Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Personally, I don't think that the price increase from the C10 to the C12 is worth it. Some people may love the elevated fretboard, but it didn't do anything for me.

The C9 & the C10 are the same guitars with changes to the woods.

Bottom line is it all comes down to your personal preference.
I loved the bold response, and excellent fit&finish of my C12. It was an awesome classical. But yeah, the elevated fretboard wasn't the be all end all that I imagined it would be. I'm not Elliot Fisk playing Paganini. If I need to get up that high on the fretboard, then I prefer a cutaway.

I haven't owned a C9 or C10, but my F10 is one of my favorite Cordobas (which is why I still have it).
Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 AM

Quick update. Went back to the shop this morning and replayed C7, Fusion 12 Series and GK Ltd Edition. To my untrained ear the GK Ltd Edition stood out easily. And was lovely and comfortable to play. As I intend playing different genres on it, I bought the GK. Very happy so far.
Thanks to those who offered information and advice. I appreciate it
Ian
Old 01-20-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
The C12's are lattice braced - a different animal tonally to my ear. The 9's and 10's are fan braced and definitely the sweet spot in the lineup.

I've got a C9 spruce that I wouldn't give up for anything. I've modified it a bit and it's sent some 3k used guitars down the road.
can you tell what the main differences are between lattice braced and fanned braced on tone?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical