The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I solved that problem by purchasing a 8" coaxial powered speaker cab which is extremely warm and musical sounding.
You forgot to mention that this little mighty speaker is easy to carry since you can kick it down the stairs.

Sorry: I could not resist

Note: At 1:13, they test it with white noise (the weird sound), it is working.
Note2: Please don't do this at home.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-16-2017, 03:20 PM

Cuki, as far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as overkill, so long as you're willing to cart it and actually use it. The way I see the new typical mini line array customer is someone who doesn't realise that the major design element of the Bose, the originator of the mini line array for the masses concept, was that each member of the band was supposed to own and supply their own L2t.

They work the way they're intended when there are 4 of em, with 8 subs (Bose recommended 2/per array In the beginning). They're good systems but they're really expensive for what they are. You were supposed to realize your savings by not having need for monitors.

Four Loudbox Minis and a good digital mixer (for tunable delay aux outs) and you've got a system that costs less, out powers and sounds better.

You've just got to carry it and use it.

Some kind of hi resolution wireless speaker connection with delay attributes would be a great thing to invent and sell.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Default HK Audio Nano 608i Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
You forgot to mention that this little mighty speaker is easy to carry since you can kick it down the stairs.

Sorry: I could not resist

Note: At 1:13, they test it with white noise (the weird sound), it is working.

Note2: Please don't do this at home.

Cuki

AWESOME CUKI! Hey, that video looks familiar. :-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-16-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Some kind of hi resolution wireless speaker connection with delay attributes would be a great thing to invent and sell.
Yes, but you'd still have to carry all those speakers. I don't know about you, but the people who frequent the bars and places I play are nice. But, they are not nice enough for me to carry (or kick - in the case of my Mackie DLM) more than one speaker and a guitar. They did sing nicely on the choruses last night, however. Maybe that warrants a little monitor or something? :-)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
the major design element of the Bose, the originator of the mini line array for the masses concept, was that each member of the band was supposed to own and supply their own L2t.
That's true. Many of Bose's idea are based on space, or spatialization. The famous Bose 901 was about the sound coming from multiple reflection to have make somekind of acoustic illusion.

Bose L1 was not only about cylinder waves, it was also from the fact that the sound should come from a spatial line that correspond to the player. To recreate a space discrimination of sound by the eyes and psychoacoustic of the listener.

Do you think there are that many people who amplify a whole band with such tiny PA systems? I think most people on the AGF realize that a Bose L1 compact is closer to a Fishman Loudbox Artist than a full P.A... It would not take long to them to realize it anyway...

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
kick - in the case of my Mackie DLM
Stop kicking that poor Mackie DLM!! Now that your curse is gone, maybe Mackie is going to update the firmware of its digital preamps!

Sorry, for the semi-private joke
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM

Yeah Dave, its true that the setup headaches are almost never really worth it. For what I do which for a good long time now is almost all I ever do, I use one Loudbox Mini and a battery/inverter/charger/cart and its good. With the exception of one gig I do every August where I bring my Genz Benz Compak and its extension cab, which I play on a little tiny stage, sound spread to either side. I need some bigger volume there.

Everythings better when you play outdoors.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Stop kicking that poor Mackie DLM!! Now that your curse is gone, maybe Mackie is going to update the firmware of its digital preamps!

Sorry, for the semi-private joke
Cuki
They need to upgrade the hardware and make it so you can plug in your tablet too.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Nano 608i owner comments

After I had open heart surgery I had to find a lightweight portable PA after decades of using heavier component systems. When the Nano 608i came out I ordered one from Full Compass with the understanding that I could return it. I kept it.

IMO the designers of the Nano 608i talked with gigging musicians and came up with a great product. It covers all the bases. You can attach the speakers directly to the top of the sub and you've got something like a Schertler Jam 400 but less weight. With a single S Connect pole the system functions as a line array and the satellite speakers fire forward. If you use the stereo setup the satellites then fire forward and down. I recommend both the S Connect pole and the stereo kit so you can cover any shape room easily and effectively.

The iPad software has both a simple and an advanced interface. Simple works fine for me but if you want to tweak compression parameters and access graphic eq's then there's the advanced mode. You can save your setups for different venues, stream music during breaks, etc. Pairing with my small iPad Pro was simple and I've had no problems with the software app. It works well for me.

If your iPad battery dies you can run the system using the analogue mixer on the sub. You won't be able to access all the advanced features but you'll finish the gig without a hitch. Often I just run it from the onboard mixer. With one voice and an acoustic guitar it's easy to get a good mix with just the analog controls.

Have I mentioned sound? I'm picky about how my gear sounds and the 608i is clear, detailed, dynamic, and balanced. Soundwise the 608i rocks! The first thing I did when I set it up was stream some James Brown and turn up the volume. My furniture actually was bouncing up and down from the beat! No joke! Played at any volume the sound is warm and clear.

The only down side for me is there is cooling fan inside the sub/mixer unit. In a quiet room at home I hear the fan a wee bit more than I want to. But hey, this not a practice amp. For gigging I think a cooling fan is a great idea and no one including you will hear the fan when you are out there pickin' and grinnin'.

AND, although I mostly use a cart, I can carry the sub and satellites with one hand. I wish there had been gear like this 30 years ago when I gigged 5 nights a week and lived off it. Back then a Nano 608i would have made life a lot easier!

I'm glad I took a chance and tried the Nano 608i. I prefer the sound to the Bose and Fishman systems. Better dynamics and better bass for sure. The iPad app and the setup flexibility are superior to anything else I've heard or used. Of course your mileage may vary so I recommend you buy from someone who will allow you a trial period and let you return it in case you don't like it. You'll probably like it. Hope this info helps with your decision.

Whatever you buy, have fun and play lots of music!

-Al Acuff
1949 Gibson J45
1953 Gibson L4C
1963 Gibson LG1

Last edited by Al Acuff; 05-17-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM

I am definitely interested in this product.....but I am not seeing many vendors carrying this product in the United States as of this time.

Is this mostly targeted towards European markets, or I am I missing something?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Here's how to set aux delays on a QSC touchmix8:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/95...8.html?page=24
Old 05-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Default HK nano 600 vs SR/Schertler JAM 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
What think you of this system? I have been researching to the max all the smaller systems that are high end for gigging yet simple and light and very awesome tone.
I would appreciate any input on this before I buy it soon. thanks.
To come back to the original OP

I went to the shop and compared my SR Tech/Schertler JAM150 with a HK nano 600.

The recording is done with a Zoom H2 placed 2m (6.5 feet) away at 1m (3.2 feet) height

Guitar D-18 + IR 002 on a jamaman looper

1) SR Tech/Schertler JAM 150
2) HK nano 600
3) SR Tech/Schertler JAM 150

Vocal on SM58, the JAM being on the floor, the sound is quite muddy. Did not sound that muddy in the room.
1) HK nano 600
2) SR Tech/Schertler JAM 150

Hotroad I will send you a pm with recorded music test (don't post publicly for copyright)

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-17-2017, 01:25 PM

How incredibly thoughtful of you to take he time to do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 PM

I liked the second sample (HK Nano 600) in each case. I think the overall level for the Jam150 is higher in the first guitar demo. I suspect with the parametric EQ on the 608i model, you can resolve any problem frequencies. Count me as a fan of the HK Nano 600. Lightweight, powerful, and clean sounding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM

In the second sample, number 2 is the JAM.

In the room, both sounded good. The Jam as usual is warmer and sounds best on guitar. The HK is clearer on vocals.

There is no wrong choice with each.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. The HK is stereo and when playing a song it really adds something.

I think I like it better than the Bose l1 compact for example.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification