The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 10:13 AM

Try a Larrivee 00-40 mahogany. Extremely balanced while having solid bass. Comfy little critter also.

I recently played one and was smitten, smited, captivated, hooked.

Rb
Old 03-06-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Try a Larrivee 00-40 mahogany. Extremely balanced while having solid bass. Comfy little critter also.

I recently played one and was smitten, smited, captivated, hooked.

Rb
Thanks for the recommendation!

For you guys that suggested the 000-15sm, why that and not the 000-15, does the 12 get over something finally in after over the 14 fret?
Old 03-06-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
My first Martin purchased a couple months ago fits your description perfectly. It's a 000-16e with a sitka top and Granadillo back and sides. It is the guitar that led to me selling my Taylor's and starting down the Martin road. I've since added two more higher end Martins but neither make me want to get rid of the 000-16 or cause me to not play it. It has become my standard tuning guitar.
Thanks for introducing me to this guitar, I want familiar with it, watched some videos, awesome! This just got bumped high up in my wish list!
Old 03-06-2021, 01:42 PM

Default Bass Heavy 000 Style Guitars

I have a Collings 000-2H, it has a good deal of tight bass and very round trebles. With Thomastik strings it’s full and warm yet retains clarity. This model does not have the more strident tone Collings are sometimes characterised as having (usually associated with their 14 fret instruments and often adirondack tops) but it still avoids the tubby, muddy tone that can sometimes plague Sitka/rosewood instruments from other brands. Mine is from 2008 and the tone has changed a great deal over time.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-06-2021, 03:12 PM

Martin CEO-7 is a true swiss army knife. Great bass, but also trebles with sustain until tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
...For you guys that suggested the 000-15SM, why that and not the 000-15...?
The 12-fret -SM has not only a larger vibrating surface but a larger body cavity which, in conjunction with the lower placement of the bridge and the natural response of the mahogany top/body, provides near-dreadnaught bass in a more compact package - FYI this one's kind of a cult favorite among us older guys who can't negotiate a dread/jumbo anymore, but still crave that characteristic Martin big-body "whomp" when you lay into it...
Old 03-07-2021, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
My nemesis on the guitar always seems to be the trebles, if all my guitars could have a fat, rounded and subdued treble I would be happy.
I'm wondering what your recommendations are for a 000 sized guitar (generally that size) that favours the bass and mid but not so much the treble. I know lots of rosewood guitars have good bass, but the trebles also seem prevalent at the same time, but I'm sure there's exceptions. I remember a boucher dread I heard that had nice warm trebles, not bright or overbearing.
I'm more interested in stuff under a grand or two but don't avoid telling me good options in ask price ranges. I'm not in the market to buy another guitar RIGHT now, I'm just inquiring for my long process of deciding on a future guitar, whenever that may be.
Even $500 guitar recommendations is good.
I know deep body guitar can somehow strengthen the bass, but it may also weaken the mid too.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 03-07-2021, 01:24 AM

Look into some Huss and Dalton models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion