The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Inlay in radiused fret board

I’m planning an inlay that will be in the top edge of a fretboard such that it will be both the side marker and the front marker.

If I inlay first and then radius the fretboard, I think I’ll end up grinding off too much of the inlay at the edge, leaving the inlay too thin since it's only .060 to begin with.

If I radius first, the bottom of the inlay recess will by curved and won't provide a good base for the inlay.

Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Radius first then cut the pocket. Don’t worry about the floor unless it is more than 1/2” wide. Glue the inlay in with 5 minute epoxy mixed with a little ebony dust. It will fill the floor of the pocket.

Good luck!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
If I radius first, the bottom of the inlay recess will by curved and won't provide a good base for the inlay.
Radius first, cut a flat base pocket using some wood to create a surface for your router/dremel

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 08-11-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Radius first, cut a flat base pocket using some wood to create a surface for your router/dremel

Steve
Steve,

I think I understand, but I’m not 100% sure.

I’m picturing a piece of wood with a radiused underside that is clamped on to the fretboard at the right angle and the router rides on top of that. Am I imagining that correctly?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 AM

That would work.

I do it by clamping the body and or neck to a fixed board, the rear strap button location and machine heads work perfect, on the flat board, attach two pieces of 4 by 2 along the sides of the neck, raise or lower the headstock on the board to ensure the neck is in the same plane as the two guide boards.

Take your router and use the top surface of the 4 by 2’s as your guide, trim the spots away, perfectly flat and level Irrespective of fretboard shape

Put the flat board away for next guitar, simple jig like this allows you to route pickup cavity’s in electric guitars, do inlay work, cut nut channels, cut saddle channels and so forth.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-12-2018, 07:59 PM

There's really no need for a jig. As long as you don't tilt the router side to side as you go across the board, the bottom of the pocket will be flat enough. Although if I'm picturing the situation correctly, you actually do want to tilt the router toward the bass side a bit, but still holding at a constant angle, so the pocket is like this:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair