The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filum View Post
I use all 5 fingers for fingerstyle.

You use your pinkie for picking? Solely for string 1?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

It is pretty easy to overthink this, especially if using tab or a lesson book that tells you the "right" way to do it.

I started off last year with Mark Hanson's books, and he advocates the thumb and 3 fingers, each finger on one of the treble strings and the thumb on the 3 lowest strings. I think that is pretty good advice for a beginner as it gets all the digits (except the pinky) into the act and tells them where to go.

Now my teacher is using a Tommy Flint book, and he mixes it up depending on the song or exercise. It took me a little while to get comfortable moving the thumb up to the G string on occasion, and picking the B and high E strings with my first finger. I also have a Pete Huttlinger exercise DVD where he mixes it up.

As a result of this work I know find myself naturally falling into whatever seems to work best for the particular tune, with little conscious thought. Some songs I don't use the first finger at all, some I never use the ring finger. Seems more musical to fit the technique to the song rather than the other way around.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Thom Bresh tells the story of the Jerry Reed style, including why Reed's style was completely different from Merle Travis and Chet Atkins. This is a very entertaining interview that is well worth the time to watch if you are into the various fingerpicking styles.

The Jerry Reed discussion starts 21 minutes into the video. Just go to through to youtube and click the SHOW MORE in the description box and go to 21. However, you will probably wind up watching the entire interview. Bresh is both extraordinarily talented and entertaining.

Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist View Post
Phil Keaggy is missing half of his index finger on his picking hand and he is one of the best that I have ever seen. I am just learning too and I find that I look at too many different techniches it slows my learning process down. I try and stick with one lesson set at a time now.
Yeah... Phil is a monster.

We all come to certain habits one way or another. It is really difficult to change habitual motor patterns, particularly when coming from a pattern that works for what you do. It all depends on what your musical needs are.

In a parallel universe I am learning to play bass seriously. Let me tell you, alternating I/M fingers in place of a simple up/down pick stroke has been challenging. My brain has to learn an entire new way to operate my fingers. It's been about 6 weeks and I'm *just* starting to get it where it doesn't feel foreign.

Bottom line you just do what works. If it doesn't work or you need to change to improve your ability then you have to look to something different that does.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Its whatever works for you with the piece you are playing. My dog doesn't notice if I use the "wrong" finger on the "wrong" string. I'm sure the folks at the open mics, 5 tables back and 4 drinks into the night won't notice either, lol.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 PM

Bet this sounds strange, but I mainly use only thumb and index (Watson/Travis style) because it feels good. Kind of pared down to basics.

Unfortunately, some pieces just call for more digits.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Maybe if I could go back in time I would have persisted in using all three fingers plus thumb (chose to use thumb and two fingers only) but that third finger (next to the pinky) didn't want to move like the other fingers back then. (Now it just gets in the way more or less although I've developed it sufficiently so that I can hybrid pick lead lines on my mainly Telecaster).
Old 04-20-2018, 05:59 PM

The reserved index finger method of picking was developed by many who kept a flatpick tucked under the index finger should a switch to strumming or lead work be needed. The hybrid pickers do this.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
You use your pinkie for picking? Solely for string 1?
I use all 5 fingers as well. Pinky mostly on string 1.

Why not use all 5? There's nothing sacred about 4.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:57 AM

Unless you are pursuing classical guitar on a strictly classical level, there really aren’t significant limitations. I play PIMA on classical, hybrid pick and three fingers on electric, five fingers on acoustic fingerstyle.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion