The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 10:19 AM

One thing that I did that really helped me be a better guitar player was to quit learning songs for a while. Instead I focused on basic chord progressions. Play a I-IV-V in any key. Play G-C-D over and over. As you go up the neck the notes and chords repeat themselves so find the same chords in first position (frets 1-5) and then again in second position, then third position. The fingerings change but the notes do not. Next learn modified scales. In other words, not every note in the scale in order but recognize note patterns as you move up the neck and where one pattern for G will overlap into C and C overlaps into D and back to G. These note patterns are riffs and fills that lead guitar players use when they are backing up a singer over the chord patterns. How many different ways can you play the basic bluegrass G run? Play forwards and backwards. Then do it again skipping some notes and adding others. Then find the same notes up the neck. I'm not sure any of this makes sense without physically showing you how its done but with enough repetition, you will start to see patterns of notes and you will start to feel where the changes from one chord to another take place and you will see where you can change the pattern as it moves from G to C to D. Work with a metronome until you can make the changes smooth and before you know it you aren't just strumming chords but you are actually making interesting musical changes. Then go out and apply it to playing with others and have some fun.

A lot of this links to the CAGED system. Google it. It makes a lot of sense if you are patient with it.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 04-20-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
1) WEEKLY private lessons for an extended period.

2) Practice.

3) Playing with others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Three things to push to the next level.

Practice

Practice

Practice
Close the thread, we have the answers.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM

I need to read everything posted in this tread.................twice!!!

I need to figure out something to get better.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:14 PM

I agree it's all about practice.

Play more hours per day and you get better.

Now the question is, what to be doing. I started with classical and still play only finger style.

I think once you've found the notes you're going to play, putting feeling behind them is important, it makes the music mean something and come alive.

Second, I think it's important to find something you love to play. I'm really picky (no pun intended) about finding something to learn, because I'm going to want to make it perfect.

The cool think about guitar is that it seems there is always room for improvement, and every day I find new and better ways of improving something. That for me, is fun. The discovery of something new.

Because I'm always striving to improve and perfect everything, I'm never really satisfied, and it surprises me when someone says "I had no idea you could play so well."
Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
One thing that I did that really helped me be a better guitar player was to quit learning songs for a while. Instead I focused on ...
I think this is very true in my case. I always fall back to doing that whenever I try to learn a scale or some concept. I dabble in it for a bit and then just go back to learning a song cause that is fun for me and comes easy... well sort of.

But I really should pick one thing and stay with it... Right now, I am thinking getting back to pentatonic scales and start playing with jam tracks and be persistent with it and see where that goes.

I read through everyone's responses and few of you even PM'd me with your suggestions.... much appreciated. Of course practice, private lessons, having fun, etc are all generally understood to be important factors. But the different paths that you guys took to get there... I liked reading all those things. So thanks again.

It's Friday... can't wait to go home and put in a good weekend's practice time.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Right now, I am thinking getting back to pentatonic scales and start playing with jam tracks and be persistent with it and see where that goes.
On this topic, I'd suggest that you learn some actual solos from musicians that you enjoy listening to that aren't too difficult to replicate. If you improvise with limited resources, you will always end up with the same boring results...

I think discussing this on the forum is more of a pep talk than real information. There are many paths to musical happiness. You must be able to find your own.

Good luck with this and feel free to PM if you have specific questions.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Forget the left hand vocabulary. Get a metronome (The new snark tuner has one built in for $11 on Reverb) Work on your right hand. Tap your foot.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:23 PM

I progressed to a good solid Intermediate level player in about 2 years, as follows:

1. Stringtime - 12 to 15 hours per week... have a monthly strategy, daily tactics for progressing
2. Pick 1 Guru - KISS... If you bounce from thing to thing, you will not progress much... I needed a Guru with a structured approach and measureable metrics of progress. Justin Sandercoe was my daily Guru for 2 years, and he gave me a well rounded playing foundation.
3. Focus - It is called "playing" and should be fun... but practice time should be serious, not mindless... every practice session should have a goal(s).

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:03 PM

I took lessons for close to four years whilst constantly practicing at home and then later went to YouTube mostly looking for more advanced stuff. (Lessons, backing tracks, etc.). At the same time I started to train my ear, took in lots of music theory, got to understand the fret board, began playing all sorts of styles and genres and started playing with others.

And talking of practice, I did most of mine in the beginning/starting out on an electric unplugged and often in front of the television.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion