The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper59 View Post
I recently bought a custom D with a vts top, rosewood back and sides. rosewood fingerboard and bridge. snowflake dots and gotoh sta-tite tuners. also has the dove tail neck but it is cnc,d instead of handset. amazing guitar. i also have a eastman but its a ga style all mahogany. martin wins out by a long shot.
Just curious, is this the one found on Sweetwater's website? Looks like there might not be any binding or purfling on that particular model? Can you confirm if that is the case?
Old 04-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Wow. Tough dilemma.

I owned an e20ss and sold it. I owned an e10ss and sold it. Both great guitars. I’m also waiting for a delivery later this week of an e10ss/v. So you could say I’m attracted to these guitars.

I also own a decade old d15 which I love.

I am so sorry you are in this position....

Ps.. I’ve always described the Eastman slopes to friends as guitars that look Gibson, but sound half Martin D35/ half J45.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I’m a big fan of Eastman guitars and believe they are excellent products. You can’t go wrong with them. Now that being said I have owned a Custom D Rosewood and it was an outstanding guitar. Every bit what an American made Martin should be. I traded it to my gigging partner about a year ago because I’m just not a Rosewood guy. It is his #1 now and will always be. As pretentious as it sounds the American made Martin does carry that distinction and owning one is a matter of pride for many players.
Just curious Mick...what did you get in return in that trade?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Wow. Tough dilemma.

I owned an e20ss and sold it. I owned an e10ss and sold it. Both great guitars. I’m also waiting for a delivery later this week of an e10ss/v. So you could say I’m attracted to these guitars.

I also own a decade old d15 which I love.

I am so sorry you are in this position....

Ps.. I’ve always described the Eastman slopes to friends as guitars that look Gibson, but sound half Martin D35/ half J45.
That is what had me interested its in between those and also somewhere between Taylor and Martin.

What keeps you selling and buying them again, i hear the new varnish ones sound the best with the thinner finish. Part of me wants the guitar to get beat up (earn its character) by me though and not the Chinese factory worker.

As far as the Custom D Rosewood with aged top if its like the one on Sweetwater that is double the price. What we are at today is right at $1,000 in the E10SS Sunburst and Custom D Classic Mahogany.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 PM

Default Martin Custom D Classic vs Eastman E10ss, E6OM/E8OM

I have a D-18 and an Eastman E20OM. In the $1200 or lower price range, I go for Eastman every time. $1500 or more I look for a good Martin. I don’t worry about where they are made. I determine the budget, and select the best guitar (the guitar I like the best).

This has been how my searches have worked out. Of course, it’s different for everyone.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I have owned an E10SS and sold it; an E10D and sold it; an E20D and sold it; a Martin D18 (2016) and sold it. I have an E6D, and it's not going anywhere.

Full disclosure: I tried to buy back the E10SS. The new owner is a forum member, and he loves it.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
I have a D-18 and an Eastman E20OM. In the $1200 or lower price range, I go for Eastman every time. $1500 or more I look for a good Martin. I don’t worry about where they are made. I determine the budget, and select the best guitar (the guitar I like the best).

This has been how my searches have worked out. Of course, it’s different for everyone.
When I read the line about not caring where they are made, I had to do a double take to make sure this was not my post.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM

I've owned a Martin Custom D Mahogany for about ten years. Great guitar. Never played an Eastman that was to my liking. Given so many folks rave about Eastman guitars I believe you need to play both Eastman and Martin to make an informed choice. Otherwise flip a coin and takes yer chances.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Just curious Mick...what did you get in return in that trade?
Hi llew. I got a pair of X series Martins that I used for gigging guitars. The X series guitars are real workhorses.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good choices all the way around.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 PM

Default to texmex

I found you a place that has an Eastman E10ss in stock. Its the acoustic shoppe in Springfield Mo. I think it was around 1,120 bucks. If you pick it up let me know what you think of it. I think they only have the one in stock too. Later.

Last edited by baw3; 04-19-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 PM

I actually placed the order a few minutes ago with Acoustic Shoppe, worked out a good price earlier today and it ships in the morning.

Seemed like some nice folks to work with, spoke with them the past two days with all my questions.

Appreciate everyone's time in responding and hopefully its a winner.

Last edited by Texmex03; 04-19-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I have owned an E10SS and sold it; an E10D and sold it; an E20D and sold it; a Martin D18 (2016) and sold it. I have an E6D, and it's not going anywhere.

Full disclosure: I tried to buy back the E10SS. The new owner is a forum member, and he loves it.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am the aforementioned "forum member" who acquired the E-10SS from Zissou about three years ago. It has continued to open up in the most magical way. Some of you have already seen this vid. This is what a world-class Eastman has the capability to do:

Funny thing. Just last night I was at an open mic. Another player, who had a pretty good guitar himself, came over at the end of the night to chat. He literally plucked one string on the Eastman and said, "Oh wow!" One string. No lie. If you get a good one, they're a keeper for life.

scott memmer
Old 04-20-2018, 05:18 AM

I have a Martin MMV and the Custom D Classic Mahogany would be like a cousin to it. I haven't played either one of these specific guitars, but the only Eastman that I tried once didn't impress me. I would naturally in this case vote for the Martin.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 AM

I have a feeling you will be happy with it. Let us know what you think. I actually put a set of Martin sp 80/20 bronze light gauge on mine after I got it and it sounded even better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion