The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 05:13 AM

Default Disappointed in Taylor and ZZounds

So I decided to step into the Taylor world so I ordered a Taylor 214CE Deluxe through Zzounds. After 4 days I received my new guitar took it out of the hard shell case it came in only to find the end pin jack is broken and flopping around and there appears to be a circular buffing burn mark under the gloss finish on the front. The end pin/jack assembly is completely plastic and glued in?? So that is Taylor's quality control for an "entry level" $1,399.99 guitar? I chose Taylor because all these reviews I have read online talking about Taylor's excellent build and quality??? To top it off. I called Zzounds Immediately asking to return for exchange, 4 business days later I am still waiting for a return authorization! Lesson learned, NEVER buy a guitar without physically checking it out first. Even if it is a Taylor. Total let down...
Old 04-13-2018, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Bummer. Sorry for your situation.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-13-2018, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipk1 View Post
So I decided to step into the Taylor world so I ordered a Taylor 214CE Deluxe through Zzounds. After 4 days I received my new guitar took it out of the hard shell case it came in only to find the end pin jack is broken and flopping around and there appears to be a circular buffing burn mark under the gloss finish on the front. The end pin/jack assembly is completely plastic and glued in?? So that is Taylor's quality control for an "entry level" $1,399.99 guitar? I chose Taylor because all these reviews I have read online talking about Taylor's excellent build and quality??? To top it off. I called Zzounds Immediately asking to return for exchange, 4 business days later I am still waiting for a return authorization! Lesson learned, NEVER buy a guitar without physically checking it out first. Even if it is a Taylor. Total let down...
I do agree that Zzounds is dragging their feet but my recommendation would also be to take pictures of the two areas and call Taylor customer service. They may expedite resolving your situation. Give them a chance. Enjoy what you have for now, you can still play it right?
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What you're describing can be caused by rough handling during shipping, something that is out of the hands of Taylor. The delay in getting a return authorization is also out of the hands of Taylor. So I'm not sure why Taylor is to blame here.

As for your gripe about Zzounds, that store is essentially a large shipping warehouse where you're going to get less delicate handling and a higher rate of return than you would had you made your online purchase from a smaller shop where they're not relying on heavy volume as much as they are on giving the customer a great buying experience.

There are much better places where you could have made that purchase. Had you asked here, people would have suggested better options.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-13-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
What you're describing can be caused by rough handling during shipping, something that is out of the hands of Taylor. The delay in getting a return authorization is also out of the hands of Taylor. So I'm not sure why Taylor is to blame here.

As for your gripe about Zzounds, that store is essentially a large shipping warehouse where you're going to get less delicate handling and a higher rate of return than you would had you made your online purchase from a smaller shop where they're not relying on heavy volume as much as they are on giving the customer a great buying experience.

There are much better places where you could have made that purchase. Had you asked here, people would have suggested better options.
I made the purchase online because the nearest Taylor dealer is about a 1 1/2 hours from me. But I guess I should have taken a day to make the drive. Hence my advice learned .. NEVER buy a guitar sight unseen.

I am puzzled as to how the end pin was broken loose when it is shipped inside a well padded case though? The outer box did not appear to have been compressed.

And it still doesn't explain the circular buffing burn under the gloss finish. Looks like someone took a piece of charcoal and rubbed it on the surface and then glossed it over. In all the guitars I have ever looked at I have never come across something like that. I don't understand how quality control would have let that go though. It is unsightly especially for a 1400.00 guitar.

Hoping my replacement will be a better experience. I do truly enjoy the fretboard. Best playing experience I've ever had...

Last edited by chipk1; 04-13-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 AM

I had to chime in because I just took delivery on my first Taylor via online sale ,I just received my 324ce a couple days ago. I bought it from Sweetwater and the experience has been great.

They packed the original box inside another box that had packing foam on each end so no movement. There was also a large yellow label that read to not even open the box for a least 24 hours because of the cold weather shipping. When I opened it up it was in perfect condition and even in tune! So shout out to Sweetwater!

I am a new member btw been playing for 37 yrs , I just joined up when I got the Taylor, GREAT site!! Oh and so far the 324 is AMAZING!!!!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 AM

I wonder if ZZ didn't send you a guitar that was already a returned item form a previous sale?

BTW, every other online seller has the Taylor 214CE Deluxe @ $1299 right now (Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I made the purchase online because the nearest Taylor dealer is about a 1 1/2 hours from me. But I guess I should have taken a day to make the drive. Hence my advice learned .. NEVER buy a guitar sight unseen.

I am puzzled as to how the end pin was broken loose when it is shipped inside a well padded case though? The outer box did not appear to have been compressed.

And it still doesn't explain the circular buffing burn under the gloss finish. Looks like someone took a piece of charcoal and rubbed it on the surface and then glossed it over. In all the guitars I have ever looked at I have never come across something like that. I don't understand how quality control would have let that go though. It is unsightly especially for a 1400.00 guitar.

Hoping my replacement will be a better experience. I do truly enjoy the fretboard. Best playing experience I've ever had...
Sorry to hear about your experience and truly hope all gets resolved.

However, don't let online buying experiences fall off your radar. There are thousands of transactions that are completed, all online. Working with a reputable dealer will make the experience. If you are ever in the market again, check out our AGF sponsors for future purchases. They are some of the best around and do a great job helping customers.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
This IS a valuable lesson. It amazes me how many folks feel like a few hours is too much time to dedicate to something they're likely going to drop 4 figures on and hopefully use frequently for years if not decades. I'm in the camp that believes that DAYS of traveling and hands on research should be invested if that's what it takes to find a guitar that's right for you.
I'd agree with folks who question blaming Taylor for the issues with your guitar, however the buffing thing sounds suspicious. I would definitely take pictures and get in touch with Taylor directly about that. I think they'll be on your side and I'm sure you'd like them to be.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:03 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Happens all the time. The box is dropped flat on the bottom. Inertia bangs the guitar against the bottom of the case, but no damage is done to the box. The box falling forward or backward can snap the headstock without any damage to the box as well.

Quote:
I'd love to see a photo of that. (Now I see a photo was posted while I was typing.) It is admittedly odd for Taylor. I've seen and played hundreds of them over the years and their QC is very good. That doesn't mean they can't miss something, even a big something. Even if the missed this issue I can say with confidence that it is not indicative of their work in general.

As far as long distance purchases go, I have little fear of that in general. Make sure you trust the seller, have a good understanding of the return policy, and pay with a credit card when possible. I'd have missed out on some really great guitars if I refused to buy long distance. I realize that doesn't help much when your first big experience was a bad one.

Last edited by Guest 1928; 04-13-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Sorry for your frustration. This doesn’t sound like Taylor at all to me. Was it used? I’ve never seen a Taylor at any price with less than excellent finish. Maybe you could post a photo so we can see what you mean about a charcoal/burn area (Like Todd, photos posted while typing). If ZZ has been unresponsive call again, daily if necessary, and escalate this to a supervisor.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 04-13-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
What you're describing can be caused by rough handling during shipping, something that is out of the hands of Taylor. So I'm not sure why Taylor is to blame here.
I agree. ↑↑↑↑↑

Sorry for the situation you are in. I just want to point out that there are many online dealers out there who are credible and bend over backwards for their customers. Most of those I'm referring to are sponsors here. So, going the route you went shouldn't be a reflection on the great stores out there who have worked hard to develop a great reputation. If you get this resolved, maybe check out some reputable dealers. I think you will be pleasantly surprised on the service and product you receive.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 04-13-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Happens all the time. The box is dropped flat on the bottom. Inertia bangs the guitar against the bottom of the case, but no damage is done to the box. The box falling forward or backward can snap the headstock without any damage to the box as well.

I'd love to see a photo of that. It is admittedly odd for Taylor. I've seen and played hundreds of them over the years and their QC is very good. That doesn't mean they can't miss something, even a big something. Even if the missed this issue I can say with confidence that it is not indicative of their work in general.

As far as long distance purchases go, I have little fear of that in general. Make sure you trust the seller, have a good understanding of the return policy, and pay with a credit card when possible. I'd have missed out on some really great guitars if I refused to buy long distance. I realize that doesn't help much when your first big experience was a bad one.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:09 AM

Default Image of burn

Here is a photo of the burn. Looks much more predominate in person. Image does not capture the true effect.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I wonder if ZZ didn't send you a guitar that was already a returned item form a previous sale?

BTW, every other online seller has the Taylor 214CE Deluxe @ $1299 right now (Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc)
I know, it almost seems as though I received a returned blemish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion