The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 05:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've come back to the Shubbs a bit, after many years away. Generally I prefer the G7 P1.

sm
Old 04-10-2018, 07:15 PM

I find that capos are such a personal preference that recommendations are pretty useless. Unfortunately the only way to know what you like is to try them. I went through several before I found the one for me.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:59 PM

As mentioned, the Planet Waves NS Tri-action is a great capo,
AND, of course, Thalia is a gorgeous and functional capo.
I have both and use them both, just depends on my mood.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Also this looks like it might be the same capo but in all black and it's only $6.99 with free shiping. Can someone verify?

https://www.amazon.com/B-bird-capo-a.../dp/B00JZKS7WE
It is not the same. The Bird of Paradise has a wheel that it uses to grip down.

If you are looking for a decent, cheap capo, try this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKVPB6E...523447098&sr=2
Old 04-11-2018, 09:24 AM

For those in Europe (or not)... great bang for the buck... (and that's an understatement)... makes me regret what I've spent on Kysers and Schubbs...

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_b...ctric_capo.htm

or for classical

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_b...sical_213038_0
Old 04-11-2018, 08:21 PM

Shubb.....not only do they work well....but I just like saying "Shubb"......
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 04-11-2018, 09:33 PM

I've got a Shubb in every pick pocket of every case (including banjo). Never failed me...
Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
That would be me. The Shubb, placed facing down - doesn't hang over the underside of the fretboard like the Elliott.
A lot of time and money can be saved by trusting in experience.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
It is not the same. The Bird of Paradise has a wheel that it uses to grip down.

If you are looking for a decent, cheap capo, try this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKVPB6E...523447098&sr=2
Those actually are pretty decent cheap capos. I have a few kicking around myself.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM

In Japan, Shubb F1 capo have been just started to deliver into the market early this year.
So I only know still few informations of customers.

I got Shubb F1 from eBay, attached with black rubber sleeve.
Good finish, quick click bar set, good balanced tone, it is very amazing for me.
And I purchased vinyl clear sleeve, but I don’t prefer the sound with vinyl sleeve,
because plain strings become loud and have hard nuance.
I feel better black rubber sleeve.

Besides I tried silicon tube sleeve.
(inner diameter 4mm and thickness 1 mm)
Then I was very impressed to the sound of it.
More loud, clear, vivid, and good balance for plain strings and wound strings.
I prefer silicon tube than black rubber, clear vinyl.

But one’s like is different from each other.
Anyway we'll enjoy the difference!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrlap View Post
I've got a Shubb in every pick pocket of every case (including banjo). Never failed me...
No banjo cases in my house, but I've got one in each of my guitar cases too (just sold one guitar and for some reason felt a little guilty removing the capo before shipping, even though I never mentioned anything about a capo in describing the guitar).

So ... I dunno what's the best one out there. I like the basic old Shubbs, and I really like the Finetune. There are other capos that I don't like as well, a few I don't like at all, and still others that I've barely or never tried. Being satisfied, I don't see any reason to search for something better, so I stick with what works.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Most people that recommend the Shubb have never held or tried the Victor capo...
I have 2 Victor Capos.
One for 6 string and one for 12 string.
The screw on the 12 string Victor broke after a year or so of light use.
I think it broke because I had to crank it down very tight to get rid if fret buzz.
Perhaps it didn't have the proper radius for my 12 string Guild but no matter, it failed.

The 6 string Victor is still working fine.
These are both older versions, before the company was sold.

I would recommend one for 6 string guitar but not for 12 string.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:17 AM

I used a Keyser for quite a while because I didn't know any better - I still have it sitting around and I'll throw it on when I'm noodling at my desk because it's conveniently there, but it is by far my least favorite capo since the old elastic/plastic jobbers. Way too strong of a pull, way too high of a profile. D+

I've used the standard Shubb's on my electric guitars for a long time, and I really enjoy the low profile and low cost, but I find that inevitably, over time, the pads start to slip on the bar and want to come off the end - which if I want to capo 5 strings instead of six, can become an issue. I have used them on acoustics, but I find them sometimes to suck tone a little bit in that application. I have a banjo capo that is great to use for songs where I only capo 5 strings. B

I went through a brief fling w/ Thalias, owning three and using them both on electrics and (mostly) acoustics, and the radius thing is nifty. The design is very nifty from an engineering standpoint, and they are easy to move and place. However, I find them to be overly large, and I'm very often bumping them with my left hand, which sends some strings slightly out of tune. This was accentuated with the teflon pads, which were cool for string bends under ideal situations, but otherwise not great. Additionally, I found the look overly flashy (and again, quite large). B-/C+

I checked out a buddy's Paige, and it's really pretty nice - the U style capos in general have a lot to be said for them (more below). Big points for being cheapness, but it sorta feels cheap compared to some of the nicer ones (again, more below). Didn't love the bail that secures the clasp end, but it seemed pretty functional. B/B+

Which leads me to my newest acquisition - the Shubb Fine Tune F1. I'm super happy with this capo - overall very small and unobtrusive (though there is a fair bit of metal hanging off the back side of the neck, it isn't in a way that gets in my way at all), with the adjustment that I like in the regular Schubb, but applied very uniformly. Feels nice and well made - solid. It ain't particularly cheap, and I can't do partial capoing with it (which I keep mentioning, and I really only do it on one song, which... why did I end up writing one song that I have to carry a special capo for..? but that's on me, I guess). I had considered Elliott and the G7th Heritage before buying this, but now having it, I don't know that I'd have much motivation to spend nearly twice the money when this one works this well. The one non-cost con so far is that at the 7th fret on my Bourgeois (the guitar I mainly plan to use this on, and the highest I ever capo), the neck is slightly wider than the bumpers allow, though I was able to get it on there and tightened down, and I imagine with use the bumpers will compress a bit and it'll get easier, or I suppose I could knock them down/off. You could legitimately argue that this is through no fault of the capo, but I was mildly surprised as this is not a particularly wide neck - 1 23/32nds nut. A
Old 04-22-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I find that capos are such a personal preference that recommendations are pretty useless. Unfortunately the only way to know what you like is to try them. I went through several before I found the one for me.
This .........
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookerBob View Post
Which leads me to my newest acquisition - the Shubb Fine Tune F1. I'm super happy with this capo - overall very small and unobtrusive (though there is a fair bit of metal hanging off the back side of the neck, it isn't in a way that gets in my way at all), with the adjustment that I like in the regular Schubb, but applied very uniformly. Feels nice and well made - solid. It ain't particularly cheap, and I can't do partial capoing with it (which I keep mentioning, and I really only do it on one song, which... why did I end up writing one song that I have to carry a special capo for..? but that's on me, I guess).
I have the F3 version & love it! I use a Shubb partial (5 string) capo for the one song that I fake drop-d tuning with. I've had it for a long while & still only use it for the one song. Its a song I really like, though, so I think its purchase was a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookerBob View Post
I had considered Elliott and the G7th Heritage before buying this, but now having it, I don't know that I'd have much motivation to spend nearly twice the money when this one works this well. The one non-cost con so far is that at the 7th fret on my Bourgeois (the guitar I mainly plan to use this on, and the highest I ever capo), the neck is slightly wider than the bumpers allow, though I was able to get it on there and tightened down, and I imagine with use the bumpers will compress a bit and it'll get easier, or I suppose I could knock them down/off. You could legitimately argue that this is through no fault of the capo, but I was mildly surprised as this is not a particularly wide neck - 1 23/32nds nut. A
I still don't believe I spent $75 on a capo! That said, the Shubb Fine Tune F3 is a real jewel! :-)

The Elliott & the Heritage look very nice, as well, but since I got my F3 I don't really have any "capo envy." Especially for the additional $s.

I got the F3 wide version as all my guitars have 1 3/4" nuts. The F3 works higher up the neck than I go with no problem. Perhaps you can sell the Shubb F1 & pick up the F3. I suspect it will work well even up the neck of the Bourgeois.

Take care,

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, capo, capo's, d'addario, newbie