The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-09-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Stratocaster (style) guitar with a 16 in radius neck

I have a Seventies strat (one of the good ones) that has the classic feel and sound of a maple neck. I recently took it out of storage and got cleaned and set up. love the guitar but........

After playing only acoustic for the last decade, i think I might enjoy a flatter radius on an electric. I would love to compare my strat to a similar style guitar, with a rosewood neck and a 16 inch radius (Mine is 9.5). It does not have to be a fender nor does it have to be of vintage design. Im ok with checking out guitars that are out of the box, as long as it has the single could neck pick up.

Don’t think I’m gonna sell or mess with my 75 strat but I would like to have a second option.
Any suggestions.....
I Figure around a grand, but can go higher for a killer guitar.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-09-2022, 11:01 AM

Not quite Strat style but I recently got an Ibanez RS421AHM and it has a maple fretboard with 15.7" radius (basically 16") that I really like. I don't get along so well with tighter radius fretboards.

It has two splittable humbuckers and five-way switching. Vaguely Strat-like body. About half your budget.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-09-2022, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Not quite Strat style but I recently got an Ibanez RS421AHM and it has a maple fretboard with 15.7" radius (basically 16") that I really like. I don't get along so well with tighter radius fretboards.

It has two splittable humbuckers and five-way switching. Vaguely Strat-like body. About half your budget.
Thanks.
I'm gonna do a local shop and GC run this weekend, and will add the Ibanez to my list to try.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 03-09-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Thanks.
I'm gonna do a local shop and GC run this weekend, and will add the Ibanez to my list to try.
They have a range of models, including a few single coil ones, with that same basic fretboard radius. I really like the $400-$550 range of Ibanez models.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-09-2022, 09:34 PM

Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Style 1 HSS HT. It has a compound radius fretboard (12-16) and single pickups in the middle and neck. And they're $1,000 new.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Style 1 HSS HT. It has a compound radius fretboard (12-16) and single pickups in the middle and neck. And they're $1,000 new.
THanks. I’ll add the Charvel to the list.
I never gave much thought about fret board radius, but after a decade or more of playing only acoustics I’ve come to realize how curved my strat is (7 1/4). It’s gonna be a fun day (or more) checking out all the newer electrics.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 03-10-2022, 12:01 PM

The Schecter Nick Johnson Traditional comes in SSS or HSS configuration with maple or ebony board. I tried a couple in GC and most I've seen online are right around 8lbs or under. Color choices are however limited and is a 14" radius.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...l-atomic-green
Old 03-10-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
The Schecter Nick Johnson Traditional comes in SSS or HSS configuration with maple or ebony board. I tried a couple in GC and most I've seen online are right around 8lbs or under. Color choices are however limited and is a 14" radius.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...l-atomic-green
I'm not familiar with that model but I have a couple of Schecters and they're great guitars.

Mbroady - You should check 12" radius as well (Gibson). I find there's a big difference between Fender's 9.5 and Gibson's 12. It may surprise you.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm not familiar with that model but I have a couple of Schecters and they're great guitars.

Mbroady - You should check 12" radius as well (Gibson). I find there's a big difference between Fender's 9.5 and Gibson's 12. It may surprise you.
Thanks all for the input

I checked out a few Les Paul's Yesterday, both mid priced and high end. I did love they way the neck felt and the sound was fat and warm, but I would miss the single coil sound, especially in the neck position.

But I can see getting a Les Paul after I find my next Strat Style guitar,

I brought my guitar with my yesterday and compared it some of the new Strat offerings, which included a few custom shop Strats. I preferred the sound of my 75 Strat, but the feel of a 9.5 radius neck felt better. Might just get a custom (12-16 compound radius) Warmoth neck.

Tomorrow I'm going to GC to try out some of the Shredders with the 16 in radius neck.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 03-12-2022, 01:20 AM

You say that you don't want to mess with the guitar that you have. Still.... how about an aftermarket neck? People are taking their necks off all the time, and you can keep the original neck, in case you want to go back or sell the guitar.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-13-2022, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
You say that you don't want to mess with the guitar that you have. Still.... how about an aftermarket neck? People are taking their necks off all the time, and you can keep the original neck, in case you want to go back or sell the guitar.
After sampling some of the new offerings I might just go with the new neck option. Going to do a little more sampling this week then decide.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 03-13-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
After sampling some of the new offerings I might just go with the new neck option. Going to do a little more sampling this week then decide.
Warmoth has lots of neck options. It can get pricey but if you stick with the basics it's not too bad. There are other sites as well.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Warmoth has lots of neck options. It can get pricey but if you stick with the basics it's not too bad. There are other sites as well.
Going to be chatting with the folks at Warmoth sometimes this week. I’m aware of All-parts. Anybody else you recommend I chat with.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 03-14-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
THanks. I’ll add the Charvel to the list.
I never gave much thought about fret board radius, but after a decade or more of playing only acoustics I’ve come to realize how curved my strat is (7 1/4). It’s gonna be a fun day (or more) checking out all the newer electrics.
I just checked the Warmoth site, and you could order a replace in the specs you want (12- 16 compound neck radius, 3 bolt micro tilt, Rosewood) for 300.
If you are not comfortable doing the swap, any shop should be able to for a reasonable fee. No point having a vintage guitar around if you aren't going to play it. Slap a new neck on that baby and put it to work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars