The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-05-2022, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Boss Katana vs Line 6 Catalyst

The Line 6 Catalyst is relatively new and is priced right where the Boss Katana is with similar features. The 100w versions are both right at $400 US.

I thought this video was interesting and might be of interest to electric players here on the AGF.

- Glenn
Old 03-05-2022, 12:56 PM

I would take the Catalyst.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I would take the Catalyst.
Yes, I thought it sounded a little better, too. I'm sure in practice, both could be made to work. It's amazing how much a person gets today for $400 in a modeling guitar amp.

- Glenn
Old 03-05-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

I saw one at GC today and had no idea what it was. I bought an Orange but wish I had tried the Catalyst too.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:44 PM

My next trip to Guitar Center I would like to try this new iteration of the Line6 family.
I had a Flextone Duo in 1997 when they were introducing the Line6 combo amps in the USA for the first time.
It was a 2x10” speaker layout, in stereo, 50watts per side. A bunch of amp models and a bunch of effects were it’s claim to fame. Light years ahead of its contemporaries at the time, at least in my mind. The chorus/rotary speaker/reverb effects on the JC120 amp model were the best sounding digital I had ever heard, and still feel the same as of this day. I’m wondering if Line6 has recaptured some of that magic mojo they lost in all those SPYDER amp years?
Old 03-07-2022, 08:11 AM

My Katana 100 mkII combo sounds good and has 100x more effects and features than I could ever use built in. All accessible from a Windows app via USB.

If you try the Line6 and it sounds better to you than the Katana then buy it. Otherwise, the Katana is a very nice amp. I think the Katana is as reliable and well sorted as anything in that price range could be. The only reason to consider an alternative is if it's sounds noticeably better to you.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-08-2022, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I had a Line 6 Spider. Main complaint was that volume shifted dramatically when changing amp models. I just wanted a different sound, not blow my ears out between one setting and the next. If I wanted to make it louder or softer I would use the volume knob. Don’t know if this new model changes that so volume is more consistent.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:46 PM

The few demos I have seen, I seem to prefer the Catalyst models. My preferences definitely lean more toward the Catalyst. I want a good clean tone, enough gain to conjure some breakup, and a few options like delay, reverb, etc., and some good, tube like dynamic response. The most important feature for my choice of a new home amp is to have a wide power output range via attenuation features. That is what has lead me to considering a Katana. But after seeing some side by side with the Catalyst, and considering my simplistic preferences, the Catalyst would be a fairly clear personal choice between these two amps.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:42 AM

You really ought to try out the Katana Air. It will amaze you.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:31 AM

I saw this demo

after watching it, if I was in the market, I'd buy the line 6

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-01-2023, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

The Line 6 Catalyst is relatively new and is priced right where the Boss Katana is with similar features. The 100w versions are both right at $400 US.

I thought this video was interesting and might be of interest to electric players here on the AGF.

- Glenn
Did you end up buying the line 6? I ask as it's on offer for £115 and I'm tempted to get it for my acoustic guitar. I recently read the below comment, so it put me off buying it until I saw your post.

Like any other guitar amp, the Catalyst isn't ideal for reproducing acoustic instruments because of 2 things:

the preamp in the Catalyst is replicating classic guitar amplifiers which mold the frequencies to create electric tones the designers had in mind. IOW, the frequency response isn't accurate, which is what you want when reproducing acoustic tones.
the speaker in the Catalyst isn't flat response, and has a limited high frequency response which makes acoustic instruments sound dull and muddy.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDW View Post
Did you end up buying the line 6? I ask as it's on offer for £115 and I'm tempted to get it for my acoustic guitar. I recently read the below comment, so it put me off buying it until I saw your post.

Like any other guitar amp, the Catalyst isn't ideal for reproducing acoustic instruments because of 2 things:

the preamp in the Catalyst is replicating classic guitar amplifiers which mold the frequencies to create electric tones the designers had in mind. IOW, the frequency response isn't accurate, which is what you want when reproducing acoustic tones.
the speaker in the Catalyst isn't flat response, and has a limited high frequency response which makes acoustic instruments sound dull and muddy.
I think it would be a big mistake to buy a Catalyst, Katana or any other electric guitar amp to amplify your acoustic guitar.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-01-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I had a Line 6 Spider. Main complaint was that volume shifted dramatically when changing amp models. I just wanted a different sound, not blow my ears out between one setting and the next. If I wanted to make it louder or softer I would use the volume knob. Don’t know if this new model changes that so volume is more consistent...
Same issue I had with my Flextone Plus 1x12" (I also bought the "big" pedalboard to go with it ); probably used it no more than a dozen times since I bought it, and not at all in the last 10-12 years or so - should've gone for the Ampeg 2x12" Reverberocket GC had for the same price...
Old 12-03-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Same issue I had with my Flextone Plus 1x12" (I also bought the "big" pedalboard to go with it ); probably used it no more than a dozen times since I bought it, and not at all in the last 10-12 years or so - should've gone for the Ampeg 2x12" Reverberocket GC had for the same price...
Yea, I bought into that POS Flextone in about 96-97 Wow!! had all these amps in it...
What a turd!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars