The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2022, 10:50 PM

Default What's Your Next Strat, if money were no object?

What's the Strat you'd buy tomorrow if money were no object?

Mine is rather humble. I've wanted an Eric Johnson signature Strat. I'd prefer one with a maple neck, and either blonde white or candy apple red.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:01 AM

I'd go and talk to a local luthier.
We'd look for a couple of pieces of (possibly local) wood. The shapes would be tweaked to resemble the Kramer Baretta, but with a hardtail bridge. It would have just one moderately powered humbucker with switching to wire it 2 or 3 different ways.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 02-13-2022, 04:06 AM

I'd go for the Lincoln Brewster model. A) I like the features on the guitar, B) I respect him as a musician, and C) I think it's cool he is humble enough to want his name on the back of the guitar (on the neck plate).
Old 02-13-2022, 05:05 AM

1964 CAR hardtail w/matching headstock and transition logo - saw this exact guitar in the early '70s so I know there's at least one out there...
Old 02-13-2022, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

I think I’ve probably got my last strat. It’s a Robert Cray hardtail, MIM, with slightly modified electronics, and with a neck from a Classic Player 50’s strat at on it. The neck is a really beefy soft-V with a maple fretboard, which I prefer to the spec Robert Cray neck, which was plenty nice to begin with. I’ve owned and played a few $2000 plus Strats that I was thinking might replace this Cray, but I didn’t like any of them as much as this one. I suppose there might be a custom shop I’d like enough to replace this one, but I’m not looking for it because I’m not in the habit of playing $4000 and up guitars just to see what I’d buy if money wasn’t an issue, because in reality, at that level it WOULD be an issue. Bottom line, I’ve been a strat guy for over 40 years, this is my favorite strat I’ve played in those 40+ years, I’ve had it about four years, it’s taken all all challengers and sent them packing, and I’m really not looking anymore.

-Ray
Old 02-13-2022, 05:46 AM

A custom shop MIA Strat with a 24 3/4" scale length (conversion neck) with a 12" radius. Sienna sunburst.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:42 AM

It would be a Suhr hardtail strat style HSS layout with a reverse headstock, quarter sawn maple neck, maple 12” radius fretboard. Matching color headstock with locking tuners. A swamp ash body, tinted candy sherwood green with a touch of silver metalflake. Tortoise pickguard with aged covers and controls. 7.5lbs please. Oh baby!
Old 02-13-2022, 07:43 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm pretty basic. I want to replace the American Standard alder/maple I traded for another guitar. I don't have a maple board strat right now.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-13-2022, 09:19 AM

Factory Special Run 60s Stratocaster in sea foam green w/ matching headstock….
Old 02-13-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
What's the Strat you'd buy tomorrow if money were no object?

Mine is rather humble. I've wanted an Eric Johnson signature Strat. I'd prefer one with a maple neck, and either blonde white or candy apple red.
Suhr Pete Thorn sig, hands down.

https://www.suhr.com/instruments/pete-thorn/
Old 02-13-2022, 12:13 PM

Taking the "money no object" thing as if it was real, I'd probably go with an exhaustive custom build search, that might even have several iterations until I said "just right." I'd probably go a with traditional 3 pickup setup, probably with a reversed bridge pickup (ala James Page's line or Jimi Hendrix). Proably want a neck plus bridge PU selection mod. Ebony or Richlite board. Jumbo frets. Woods, neck carve, actual pickups etc? That would be a try some/buy some move.

If I was to take "What the next Strat you'd be likely to buy" part as more important, then it'd be an Ed O'Brien Strat with the sustainer pickup. I could afford it, but I would prefer not to spend even that kind of money on another guitar most days. And I do have a guitar with a Sustainer pickup already. Still the EOB Strat really intrigues me.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 02-13-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Interesting question. Right now, I have two strats, an Am Pro (I) and a Noventa Strat. If I could combine the two, I would be very happy. An American made strat in Sienna burst, made from ash, with two P90 pickups and a hardtail. I would love it to have an ebony fretboard with medium jumbo frets. Truss rod adjustment should be at the headstock and I want locking tuners.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

My next Strat would be a Tele.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:02 PM

Probably something by Michael.

http://www.detempleguitars.com/temp/intro_1.php
Old 02-13-2022, 07:02 PM

I’d go for a Mary Kaye Stratocaster from the Fender custom shop. I’m typically not one for gold hardware but it just looks so classy on the blonde Strat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars