The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-01-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Sound Hole Pickups

I simply can't bring myself to drill a hole in my OM. It has no end pin so I am particularly reluctant.

I intend to mic the guitar for it's natural voice into channel one of my Unico but would like an additional signal to run through an effects chain for occasional experimental looping, verbs, etc... in the background on channel 2.

What is my best choice keeping in mind that I will be running the cord right out of the pickup ala Lyle Lovett. Is the Sunrise still the gold standard?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:10 AM

What guitar do you have? My Furch was pre-drilled for end-pin jack and was fitted with a sort of expander device that held a regular (metal) strap button in place.

Otherwise Sunrise is good; Fishman offer their Rare Earth with dual source (magnetic plus microphone) as well as single source (magnetic only).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I think that Sunrise is still one of the "standards" for soundhole pickups, certainly... pricey, but, coupled with their buffer gizmo, they sure sound wonderful!

When I first got my Goodall Grand Concert, I was loathe to put anything IN the guitar, certainly not a battery! I checked out a few soundhole pickups (this was 9 years ago) and between the M1, M1A, M80 and the Duncan Mag-Mic, I liked the Mag-Mic the best - felt it had more of an acoustic tone rather than just the "electric pickup" tone.

I've heard a lot of folks loving the Fishman units, both the Black Angel (?) and the Rare Earth ones, but I haven't heard or played through any of those...

I've never heard of anyone who said, "I finally got rid of that darned Sunrise pickup..."!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-02-2020, 08:36 AM

My two favorites are the baggs m80 and sunrise.
I've tried the m1 the Fishman rare earth blend the
Ag6 schertler,the Skysonic but didnt like any of those.especially the skysonic. I keep going back and forth between
The m80 and the sunrise. I've wired a female pin
Jack to the sunrise for quick swap.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Sunrise is still the king or so they say - I have no experience with it as it was just too big, heavy and expensive for me. But you have lots of excellent choices. I've tried several including the Baggs M80, Schertler AG6, DiMarzio Black Angel and the K&K Double Helix Solo which is what I settled on. All were decent sounding. The K&K was best for me with its gloss/steam switch. Before that I used the Black Angel which I liked over the other two mostly because it was passive. It also came stock with an included external cable. I'm selling it right now in the classifieds here as well as on Reverb.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I think that Sunrise is still one of the "standards" for soundhole pickups, certainly... pricey, but, coupled with their buffer gizmo, they sure sound wonderful!

When I first got my Goodall Grand Concert, I was loathe to put anything IN the guitar, certainly not a battery! I checked out a few soundhole pickups (this was 9 years ago) and between the M1, M1A, M80 and the Duncan Mag-Mic, I liked the Mag-Mic the best - felt it had more of an acoustic tone rather than just the "electric pickup" tone.

I've heard a lot of folks loving the Fishman units, both the Black Angel (?) and the Rare Earth ones, but I haven't heard or played through any of those...

I've never heard of anyone who said, "I finally got rid of that darned Sunrise pickup..."!!!
I like the Mag-mic the best too if I have to use a magnetic. I keep one in my car just in-case something happens to my internal pickup at a gig!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:06 PM

Kurt Cobain owned a 1958 or 1959 D-18E, probably Martin's least attractive guitar, which came with two DeArmond pickups fastened to the front. He didn't like the sound of the DeArmonds, so he disconnected them and added a Bartolini 3AV soundhole pickup which he loved. That is the pickup used on the MTV Unplugged TV show. (I know that talking about the pickup used on a show called "Unplugged" seems like a contradiction, but. . .)

If you liked the sound of Kurt's guitar on that show, you might want to try a Bartolini 3AV for about $150.00, since someone already bought Kurt's guitar for $6,000,000.00!
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 08-06-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post
I simply can't bring myself to drill a hole in my OM. It has no end pin so I am particularly reluctant.

I intend to mic the guitar for it's natural voice into channel one of my Unico but would like an additional signal to run through an effects chain for occasional experimental looping, verbs, etc... in the background on channel 2.

What is my best choice keeping in mind that I will be running the cord right out of the pickup ala Lyle Lovett. Is the Sunrise still the gold standard?

Measure your soundhole before going any further.....

Sunrise is king but doesn’t fit in Martin OM, CEO7 or 017 soundhole....ask me how I know. A lot of the famous pickups also won’t fit. The DiMarzio Black Angel DOES. The Fishman neo-d and Rare Earth DO.

Sunrise fits Martin, and other, DREADS.

Gibson will fit all.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 AM

I have a Fishman Rare Earth humbucking soundhole pickup I was about to put up on Reverb. Send me a message if you want it for a nice price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post

Old 08-06-2020, 02:07 PM

check out this link

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Dunca.../dp/B0002E3B7I

slides in, slides out, no drills required.

the down side is, it takes some getting used to, especially for finger pickers, I found it was not in the way so to speak, but it was noticeably "there"
Old 08-06-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Measure your soundhole before going any further.....

Sunrise is king but doesn’t fit in Martin OM, CEO7 or 017 soundhole....ask me how I know. A lot of the famous pickups also won’t fit. The DiMarzio Black Angel DOES. The Fishman neo-d and Rare Earth DO.

Sunrise fits Martin, and other, DREADS.

Gibson will fit all.

BluesKing777.
I've tried the m80 in parlors and just no way.
The sunrise went in my parlor but I had to remove
One clamp...position the pup and finagle the clamp back on. So the m80 is definitely considerably wider than the sunrise.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I've tried the m80 in parlors and just no way.
The sunrise went in my parlor but I had to remove
One clamp...position the pup and finagle the clamp back on. So the m80 is definitely considerably wider than the sunrise.
Ha! I stripped the thread on my M1A doing exactly that!

I then used a new strategy of removing one clamp and taping the pickup on that side to the guitar.....works for a while but the pickups are heavy and the tape lifts after a while (minutes?)....Then I gave up and bought the Black Angel after asking people in this forum which pickup fitted an OM...

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification