The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here's a trial I did of using ToneDexter to create stereo, training with 2 mics in different positions, back when TD first came out. Sort of works:

I would not expect 2 mics summed to mono to work particularly well. XY's probably fine, because they're phase coherent and you won't get phase cancellation (not much) when mixed to mono. But wider spaced mics don't sound good when summed to mono, so I wouldn't think they'd make for good training data. Then again, you never know, there are too many variables and tastes.
My experience suggests the same. I spent multiple hours positioning two mics, and finally found that a simple XY in a position that had been fairly dependable for one mic was the best.

I think XY and mixer EQ is a good idea...

With one mic above the neck joint pointed at the upper bout, the sound is fundamentally good, but lacks just a bit of the string-forward that really helps in a live setting. Add another mic pointed more forward to capture that and viola!
Old 03-18-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
My experience suggests the same. I spent multiple hours positioning two mics, and finally found that a simple XY in a position that had been fairly dependable for one mic was the best.

I think XY and mixer EQ is a good idea...

With one mic above the neck joint pointed at the upper bout, the sound is fundamentally good, but lacks just a bit of the string-forward that really helps in a live setting. Add another mic pointed more forward to capture that and viola!
Hi Doug,

Old thread, new question: with the ToneDexter II, is it possible to record using two mics directly into the ToneDexter to create the IR?
Fender HMT
Old 03-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootwitch View Post
Hi Doug,

Old thread, new question: with the ToneDexter II, is it possible to record using two mics directly into the ToneDexter to create the IR?
Not directly, tho you could use a mixer to combine 2 mics and run that into the mic input of tonedexter. I don't think there'd be any benefit, tho, and it might even confuse tonedexter. Keep in mind that ToneDexter isn't recording, it's gathering data from the mic - that's why a "better" mic isn't necessarily required or even beneficial. James May would have a more definitive answer on this, tho.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:20 PM

Having already tried 2 mic scenario awhile back, I did not hear any added benefit. Different, but not better. I ended up deleting the 2 mic wavemaps.
Just sounded cleaner and more focused using one mic you are happy with.
Trying to get a studio sound, but for me, a single mic just sounded better. Plus, a lot easier to eq a single source, rather than a mixed mic source.
I used SDC and LDC mics, mixed and matched condenser sizes. Probably 10 mics used in the experiments.
But, but, ....but of course ymmv.

Last edited by SQNK; 03-18-2024 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:45 PM

Thanks Doug and SQNK - I'll stick with a single mic.
Fender HMT
Old 03-18-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Not directly, tho you could use a mixer to combine 2 mics and run that into the mic input of tonedexter. I don't think there'd be any benefit, tho, and it might even confuse tonedexter. Keep in mind that ToneDexter isn't recording, it's gathering data from the mic - that's why a "better" mic isn't necessarily required or even beneficial. James May would have a more definitive answer on this, tho.
Thanks, Doug. Another question you might be able to answer. I have a stereo setup with a Trance Audio + Sunrise. With the ToneDexter, will this even be necessary anymore? Should I record the IR using the stereo pickup situation, or use just one of the two pickups?
Fender HMT
Old 03-18-2024, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootwitch View Post
Thanks, Doug. Another question you might be able to answer. I have a stereo setup with a Trance Audio + Sunrise. With the ToneDexter, will this even be necessary anymore? Should I record the IR using the stereo pickup situation, or use just one of the two pickups?
ToneDexter isn't all that good with magnetics, from what James says. I haven't tried it. I'd just use TD on the Trance. As far as necessary, I guess it depends on what the point of the stereo is. If you like that sound the Sunrise gives you, which isn't natural, but has a certain character, TD won't give you that. You can use TD II with both pickups, if you have the Trance on the tip of a TRS and the Sunrise on the ring, and blend however you like, and even output in stereo thru the aux out (I actually haven't tried this yet). So basically you could just use the TD to improve the Trance sound and then still decide if the Sunrise adds something, if the stereo adds something, or if that gets you what you want with just the Trance+TD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification