The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM

Default recommendations for beginner recording gear

Hey y'all, my 8yo daughter and I are fairly new to guitar (2 years) and are now at the point where we want to polish and practice to improve. She also wants to make youtube videos. Believe or not folks, kids these days dream of becoming "Youtuber" famous more than "rock star" famous

I'm thinking that it would be good to record ourselves to find the (many many) weak points of our playing and singing. It might also being good to practice while amplified at some point.

Other than using an iphone/ipad, which I don't think has high enough fidelity, what the best way to get started with simplicity but while also allowing room for growth? When we record with the iphone, my daughter's higher voice and ukulele are all that can be heard.

I saw some youtube videos about 'signal chain' and complicated (to me) devices for converting analogue sound to digital. And there are about 12 different software packages. It seems that a few microphones might be good as well?

One super simple scenario I have is Garage Band with a made-for-ipad condenser mic (like the Shure MV88 Portable iOS Microphone).

What say you?!?

Thanks in advance!
Taylor GTe 21

I never lose. I either win or learn. -Nelson Mandela
Old 07-21-2020, 12:31 PM

If you are primarily making acoustic music, the easiest thing you can do is to get something like a Zoom H2n. It's an affordable, portable recorder that is really easy to operate, and scales from beginner upwards to intermediate levels. The only major issue is that it doesn't offer multi-tracking (meaning you can't individually adjust guitar/vocal volumes) but good placement of the device can make that a non-issue.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
If you are primarily making acoustic music, the easiest thing you can do is to get something like a Zoom H2n. It's an affordable, portable recorder that is really easy to operate, and scales from beginner upwards to intermediate levels. The only major issue is that it doesn't offer multi-tracking (meaning you can't individually adjust guitar/vocal volumes) but good placement of the device can make that a non-issue.
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Taylor GTe 21

Old 07-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Don't discredit you're iPhone too quickly. Using the iMovie and Garageband apps together can produce some really good quality videos with dang good audio. You'll need to invest in a good interfacable microphone like the Apogee mic in the link below. But it's pretty easy to record good audio through Garageband and sync it to video taken at the same time in the iMovie app.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ac-and-windows

Here are a few videos to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...deos+on+iphone
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-21-2020, 02:01 PM

Smile

My daughter and I decided a number of years ago to try recording. Our criteria was simple. We wanted a mobile device that was easy to use and had its own microphone. After reading a number of reviews I purchased a Zoom H 2. The H2 met all of our criteria on paper. Unfortunately, like many guitars the specs were better than our experience. We didn't like the screen and found the process of recording to be cumbersome. Consequently, we used our phones more than the recorder.

That lead us to the Shure MV88. This is a phone mic. only. It plugs into the phone, is portable and easy to use etc. She moved about 800 miles away for college so I got her one and we would share songs with each other via email or text. The quality was better than using just the phone and the app. was easy to use. I liked how easy it was to share our music. About this time she started writing songs and found it to be ideal due to its portability and lack of a battery.

The Shure was our main devise for about 2 years. During that time we never really explored its capabilities. It was used for single track solo recordings. She graduated and moved back to town and started writing more songs and collaborating with old friends and band mates. As her writing matured the need for multiple tracks became apparent. My daughter plays bass, guitar, and banjo. After reading great reviews on this forum we purchased an isotope Spire. It is as easy to use as the shure and to my ear has a better built in mic than the zoom. I have mostly used it as a single track solo recorder. My daughter on the other hand has used it to compose a number of multitrack recordings and she says it is easy to use, very intuitive.

Prior to purchasing the spire we were considering a Focusrite, and the needed software, mics, etc.

I'm sure we will continue to upgrade as requirements change. For now the Spire and associated app. exceeds our expectations.

Hope you and you daughter enjoy the journey as much as we have.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTay View Post
Hey y'all, my 8yo daughter and I are fairly new to guitar (2 years) and are now at the point where we want to polish and practice to improve. She also wants to make youtube videos. Believe or not folks, kids these days dream of becoming "Youtuber" famous more than "rock star" famous

I'm thinking that it would be good to record ourselves to find the (many many) weak points of our playing and singing. It might also being good to practice while amplified at some point.

Other than using an iphone/ipad, which I don't think has high enough fidelity, what the best way to get started with simplicity but while also allowing room for growth? When we record with the iphone, my daughter's higher voice and ukulele are all that can be heard.

I saw some youtube videos about 'signal chain' and complicated (to me) devices for converting analogue sound to digital. And there are about 12 different software packages. It seems that a few microphones might be good as well?

One super simple scenario I have is Garage Band with a made-for-ipad condenser mic (like the Shure MV88 Portable iOS Microphone).

What say you?!?

Thanks in advance!
I am a beginner recorder too-
I’ve found a Spire mic/ app to be easy to use and share. They are 300 bucks out the gate- but it comes with everything you need-
Apogee is also good- it has been a few years since I’ve seriously used it though- primarily because of my Spire.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:16 PM

All good advice, even the counter arguments. I would only add that the recording facilities in most phones these days, and certainly the iPhones, is much better than most lower end recording studios of 20yrs ago so that is not the weak link. The most profitable adjustment that I see often would be choice of recording space (a good sounding room) and placement of musicians. If your daughter's high notes are too prominent suggest she sings more within herself. This is professional technique that will stand her in good stead for the future.

If musicians think like producers then the mix will be in the performance.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

You said room to grow. If I were only interested in documenting my practice sessions, a portable devise like a Zoom or such would be fine.

But if I were looking ahead a few years, I'd buy an interface and record to computer. There are interfaces that are also digital mixers. I've been using MOTU products so that is what I'm familiar with. They make a two input interface that comes with entry recording software, and mixer software too. I think it's less than $300.

There have never been more inexpensive microphones available. The Rode NT1 is a good mic that could get you through the next ten years. If you get a mic with an omni or figure 8 pickup pattern you could record with the mic between you. It's a learning curve, but worth it IMHO.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-23-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
You said room to grow. If I were only interested in documenting my practice sessions, a portable devise like a Zoom or such would be fine.

But if I were looking ahead a few years, I'd buy an interface and record to computer. There are interfaces that are also digital mixers. I've been using MOTU products so that is what I'm familiar with. They make a two input interface that comes with entry recording software, and mixer software too. I think it's less than $300.

There have never been more inexpensive microphones available. The Rode NT1 is a good mic that could get you through the next ten years. If you get a mic with an omni or figure 8 pickup pattern you could record with the mic between you. It's a learning curve, but worth it IMHO.
Exactly. An iDevice to allow you to record to an iPad/iPhone better will always be limited to use with that device. As with USB mics, they don;t allow a way to expand and improve with more gear.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-24-2020, 07:06 PM

Thank for all the feedback. I found an MV88+ at a local music store and bought it. It does connect to a PC now with the addition of a USB-C wire included. This version also came with a small tripod and a phone holder.

So far it works great with the Shure MOTIV app. I’m going to try it with garage band later and also on a laptop later. I’ll report back what I find.
Taylor GTe 21

Old 07-29-2020, 01:18 PM

Focusrite comes with a ton of free
Software like ableton lite. I bought
The 2xi but they make others with
More inputs. Works well
Old 07-29-2020, 02:32 PM

I record vocals and guitar on a Yeti Blue. My interface is a FR Red Solo. The interface comes with all the software you will ever need for recording. I spent less then 250$ on both. The mic is very good.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTay View Post
…One super simple scenario I have is Garage Band with a made-for-ipad condenser mic (like the Shure MV88 Portable iOS Microphone).

What say you?!?
Hi ST

I say use what you have and go-for-it! There are many lessons to be learned about the recording process itself which have little to do with the actual gear.

Mic placement, camera angle, room noise etc. And experimenting with what you have costs close to $$$0$$$.

Have fun exploring, and please keep us posted as you learn!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-29-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I seriously think you just KISS (keep it simple stupid!).

The iPhone or iPad is great for the video.

I record with mine, but I use an external mic - in my case the Apogee Hype MiC. Its really easy and for your needs I think would work great.

Here is a video I recorded with that setup, and dragged into Garageband.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Our band has done a couple of social distancing
Videos. We each recorded our own
Part around the rhythm guitar part
I laid down. Then all parts came
Back to me for editing together.. I'm new to
this and learning about video editing.
Here is our cover of pancho and lefty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification