The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Default New practice amp day (Nux Mighty Air)

I had picked up a mighty lite last year to travel with my folding guitars to have an ultralight setup that can pack into a portion of my carry on bag.

The amp had been quite good on its own already, but this year I saw the announcement for the mighty air.

In includes a wireless setup (built in receiver plus guitar transmitter)

Stereo speakers, built in lithium battery, more wattage than the original, acoustic IRs,more amp models, USB c charging (saves carrying an additional wall adapter) effective drum machine and a crazy amount of other stuff all in a tiny package that appears to be about the same volume as the original and about the same weight.

Surprisingly the sound on the original was already quite good (not even just quite good for it's size)

The new one is another step up for sure.

The wireless seems to do what it is supposed to do. On my active preamp guitars it seems to make a horrible noise which was then resolved when I used a stereo to mono adapter on the transmitter. (Interestingly enough the wireless plug is a TRS stereo plug)

Overall super pleased. The headphones are included to show the size.

It is almost twice the price of the old one, but that includes the wireless system the battery stereo setup etc. I think it is well worth the added cost.

Image%20(3).jpg

Last edited by Aspiring; 07-08-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Congrats! Some nice features. Did the original also feature the USB charging or was that also on the other one (along with the other items you mentioned)?
Old 07-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Those look very cool. I have a Yamaha THR 30ii, but I was debating getting one of these just to fool around.

Congrats.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I have a thr30ii as well. For the most part they are a pretty different animal.

The Yamaha has a bigger sound and more of it for sure but is *way* bigger for travel. 10lbs vs 2 etc However I could actually see the nux being enough for some people for what the Yamaha is being used for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Those look very cool. I have a Yamaha THR 30ii, but I was debating getting one of these just to fool around.

Congrats.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

The original had an adapter slot for a plug in power supply (I could use a power bank to power it) AC power and slots for a bunch of AA batteries. It did not have onboard charging of any kind.

The new setup is way slicker and even more portable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats! Some nice features. Did the original also feature the USB charging or was that also on the other one (along with the other items you mentioned)?
Old 07-19-2020, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Some updates. I have just travelled to be with my parents and am having to go through a 14 day quarantine

To help with that I brought two travel guitars a Furch Little Jane and a Snapdragon Snap Axe E.

I also brought the little Nux to use with the Snap Axe. It has been fantastic travels easily and I just discovered it also acts as an interface over both USB and Bluetooth so I am using my android phone with a looper app.

Totally awesome device for the price.

Oh and I have been using it as a pretty decent music speaker for tunes while I'm here as well.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:59 PM

I would much prefer they kept the AA batteries. Rechargeable batteries are great -- for a while. Then they stop holding a charge, and you are expected to throw the item away.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I would much prefer they kept the AA batteries. Rechargeable batteries are great -- for a while. Then they stop holding a charge, and you are expected to throw the item away.
For most devices with built in rechargeable batteries, you can open them up and replace their battery though.

It's just not ideal and some are scared to do that if they are not good with electronics.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-21-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

My guess would also be that the app and other things are likely to be not supported way before that happens.

Also for the ultra compactness the built in battery plus charger from USB is hard to match with AAs. I had double AA rechargeables for the mighty lite and taking a seperate charger plus the batteries was a lot bigger than just having it built into the amp.
Quote:
For most devices with built in rechargeable batteries, you can open them up and replace their battery though.

It's just not ideal and some are scared to do that if they are not good with electronics.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
My guess would also be that the app and other things are likely to be not supported way before that happens.

Also for the ultra compactness the built in battery plus charger from USB is hard to match with AAs. I had double AA rechargeables for the mighty lite and taking a seperate charger plus the batteries was a lot bigger than just having it built into the amp.
Does it charge through USB? If so, you can also run it off a battery pack for a cell phone too.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Yup. It's a nice USB C connector for charging. As a result I can use the same cable and charge I have along for my phone.

The wireless can recharge via USB connector or while plugged into the amp with the amp charging
Quote:
Does it charge through USB? If so, you can also run it off a battery pack for a cell phone too.

Last edited by Aspiring; 07-22-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Yup. It's a nice USB C connector for charging. As a result I can use the same cable and charge I have along for my phone.

The wireless can recharge via kndepenst USB connector or while plugged into the amp with the amp charging
Cool, but I was saying that IF the battery dies, you use a cell phone pack to run it. In fact, you could also use that if you're going to be away from a wall charger for a while too.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Yup. Definitely works. Just tried it.

Quote:
Cool, but I was saying that IF the battery dies, you use a cell phone pack to run it. In fact, you could also use that if you're going to be away from a wall charger for a while too.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yup. Definitely works. Just tried it.
Awesome... bonus.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars