The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

In the words of the philosopher W.C Fields: "Go away, kid, ya bother me."

Of course, I'm kidding. I used to be a kid myself. Times were different back then. If I had muted my Dad's guitar strings, he would have likely broken my arm off and beat me with it.

I was always sweet with my little girl back when she was a little girl (45+ years ago), and I played songs she liked. Her favorites were Little Red Riding Hood and Watching Scotty Grow. I played those two for her last Christmas when they came to visit. Remember family coming to visit?

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-16-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
Thats the guitar she wants to learn how to play in a few years....You may want to start shopping for another one for yourself tomorrow....Do us a favor and get a basket weave so we can finally get a real answer to see if they sound different ....Tony you may not have to get a job at Mcpherson after all...
This is great news! I am off the hook.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-16-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Oh, that's easy. You're being trained.

Sounds like she's doing a fine job
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
She has high quality (expensive) tastes. Let that be a warning to her future husband. Of course, also being a Sable owner, how can I argue with her sense of taste?

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
Thats the guitar she wants to learn how to play in a few years....You may want to start shopping for another one for yourself tomorrow....Do us a favor and get a basket weave so we can finally get a real answer to see if they sound different ....Tony you may not have to get a job at Mcpherson after all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
In the words of the philosopher W.C Fields: "Go away, kid, ya bother me."

Of course, I'm kidding. I used to be a kid myself. Times were different back then. If I had muted my Dad's guitar strings, he would have likely broken my arm off and beat me with it.

I was always sweet with my little girl back when she was a little girl (45+ years ago), and I played songs she liked. Her favorites were Little Red Riding Hood and Watching Scotty Grow. I played those two for her last Christmas when they came to visit. Remember family coming to visit?
Well, as you all probably figured out already, in a house of 5 (me, the wife, 2 boys and her) she's clearly the boss, all day everyday! I think it's both cute and annoying at times since if I grab a particular guitar that's the one I want to play at that time but she won't have it. Unless of course I play something she likes but as soon as I stop she's back to the guitar again. Guess the secret is to just keep on playing.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

From a material point of view, the standard 2x2 twill is used in industry where the strength is consistent in two directions. The more decorative weaves have slightly different properties depending in what direction you test them (hence why you dont see basket weave f1 parts).

In general though they all over stiffness and strength in excess of what's required on a guitar. Many other variables would have a more significant impact (resin content, voids, pattern design). Its likely only used on the outer layers.

From what i've seen as an outsider, mcphearson have a great process. I'd love to try one someday! Id suspect if you were blind folded, it would be impossible to tell the difference.

Simon

(formerly Simon@Emerald).
Old 07-20-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgavy View Post
From a material point of view, the standard 2x2 twill is used in industry where the strength is consistent in two directions. The more decorative weaves have slightly different properties depending in what direction you test them (hence why you dont see basket weave f1 parts).

In general though they all over stiffness and strength in excess of what's required on a guitar. Many other variables would have a more significant impact (resin content, voids, pattern design). Its likely only used on the outer layers.

From what i've seen as an outsider, mcphearson have a great process. I'd love to try one someday! Id suspect if you were blind folded, it would be impossible to tell the difference.

Simon

(formerly Simon@Emerald).
Might the basket weave, with longer runs of straight fiber (and in general twills of longer straight runs, 3x3, 4x4...) be a bit stronger North/South & East/West, which as aligned on the top of a Sable, be a better (in theory) choice?

In general, I thought there was a trade off of tight weave being easier to maintain fiber alignment (cosmetics mostly) and coarser weave being a pain to work around curves and keep nice looking, but stronger after curing due to longer straight fiber length.

I agree is would likely take some experience, like being in-charge of final inspection at the factory, to be able to hear the difference.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-20-2020, 08:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

There are so many factors at play. A tighter weave can give more consistency, but also hold more resin (or hold more air resulting in voids). The relative surfice area of fiber is higher in a tighter, so the matrix bonding to the resin is stronger. It also affects the ratio of resin to fiber. It gets very complicated very quickly, ive actually done a full thesis on strength analysis off axis, and strength normal to the surface. Im actually currently working on testing some new prepreg materials.

As i said, i think other factors at play on guitars have a bigger impact that the weave style considering the density of fiber and resin content are quite similar withing the two styles (likely why mcphearson offers both). Im sure both will be around the 200g/m^2.

My advice would be to go with what you think looks best as any two guitars can sound slightly different to the trained observer regardless ☺️

Simon
(Formerly Simon@Emerald).
Old 01-17-2022, 09:49 AM

Default Basketweave on Touring

Wonder if anyone has tried the Basketweave on the Touring guitar compared to the Sable?

Seems like it might be a good option here - a little less striking look than the Sable (imo), and then able to open up a smaller guitar even more?
But is this noticeable….?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber