The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I've only had positive experiences but have only used them when they were the only place I could get what I want, or they had the best price (both rare occurrences).
Old 02-22-2021, 02:57 PM

I've had nothing but excellent service from Sweetwater. It only takes one bad apple to ruin a whole barrel.
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 02-22-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
I had my first trying to send back a Guild 1212. I've only found mostly helpful people to deal with, and boy, did I ever get dud sales person that I would call a "know it all blow hard" for lack of a better term.

I told the so called sales engineer that I posted on the AGF about the problem and maybe get some tips on how to fix it, and he said "don't do that because they don't know what their doing here." Really? With all the guitar builders etc. here and they don't know what their doing? Nope, they don't.

Can you imagine how much business this forum sends Sweetwater? I've bought gear and the Guild 1212 from them because of referrals from this forum, and for him to use a broad brush like that was just too much.

I suggested I ship it back no earlier than Fri. to avoid the bad freezing weather, and possibly the guitar being stored in a sub 0 building might wipe it out, and his response was "why would you care if it doesn't effect you"? Unbelievable!

I fixed it myself, so I called to let them know I won't be shipping it back and got a nice and normal guy named Clif and told that because of this other guy I might not be using them in the future. He apologized profusely, but it still left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
YES!! That fireball candy I had to spit out, I lost taste for a day after that hell ball. [emoji23]

Join AGF Zoom Open Mic...Watch Your Fellow AGF'ers Play and Join In............
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=580877
Old 02-22-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
YES!! That fireball candy I had to spit out, I lost taste for a day after that hell ball. [emoji23]
Yeah, the first thing I do with that candy is separate out the fireballs and throw them in the trash. I can't imagine who thought that stuff was worth manufacturing.

- Glenn
Old 02-22-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehartigan View Post
That said (I almost hate to add this), their 55 point inspection is not actually a thing. The warranty issue I mentioned above was right out of the box. They never should have shipped that guitar in the first place.
I have read several posts over the years that cast doubt on the 55 point inspection. Posts that mention defects that should never have escaped notice if such an inspection had been done. This casts a lot of doubt in my mind, because that inspection is a big selling point. If real, that would be a huge reason to order from Sweetwater, and even pay a little more than other mail order retailers, because most defects would get weeded out before the guitar is shipped. It is buying piece of mind. If it is real.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=CASD57;6643959]YES!! That fireball candy I had to spit out, I lost taste for a day after that hell ball. [emoji23][/QUOTE

Yeah, but how long were you able to keep it in your mouth? I lasted about 2 min. max.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:19 PM

A couple of times the candy bag has not contained a single Bit-O-Honey. That was a gut punch.

Otherwise, I've been quite pleased.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:48 PM

Fireballs >>> Bit O Honey

But Smarties >>>>>> Fireballs >>> Bit O Honey

Just saying.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:56 PM

I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't order from Sweetwater again unless I had absolutely no other choice. Frankly, they call too much. I ordered a $50 MIDI splitter from them one time and ended up having three or four phone calls about the order, and then the occasional cold-call for years after that. Spare me - just put the thing I ordered in a box and send it to my house, please.

Maury is the best non-local guitar retailer I've ever dealt with. I had a situation last year where he ended up taking back a guitar that he didn't have to based on his store policies, and I'll recommend him forever because of it. Best prices I've ever seen, too.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:54 PM

No bad experience with them at all. They have consistently been professional and accommodating for the decades I've placed orders.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I've owned my own retail store so I know how customer service goes from the other side. Sweetwater does it right... all the time.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 02-23-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

They arenít perfect. But better than most, IMO. Ive had good experiences with them, have liked the two sales reps ive had over the years.

ď...a sense of humor is at the heart of democracy, so letís regain it." - Garrison Keiller
Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I love Sweetwater but it hasn't been 100% perfect. Which I think in life is normal.

When I first was getting back in the game over four years ago, I had a miscommunication on some Martin that I thought I'd made very clear. I can't even remember if I went so far as to order it, but I ended up politely asking for a new sales engineer, and the fellow I'd been working with apologized and politely made that happen very quickly. Looking back, I may have pulled that trigger too quickly, but I did it because a guitar buddy who'd turned me on to SW wouldn't shut up about how great his guy was, so I thought I could do better.

And... the next guy was meh. Hard to get his attention--didn't even respond to some general queries I made--and would then start the phone call barrage if I ordered so much as a capo. He just didn't seem into me lol.

This went on for a couple years and then some other irritation tripped my wire again and I again asked for another POC. In keeping with his brand, Sales Guy 2 didn't say another word to me but I got another rep. He is what I'd expected in the first place--responsive and helpful.

So if you don't have a good experience ask for someone else--maybe twice!

I should add that I did have to return one or two guitars to SW and regardless of who I was working with, it was handled quickly and professionally. Same at Elderly. And I've bought a variety of items from GC and B&H, the latter starting in the 1980s when I lived in NY up through a month ago online.

If I order another guitar I'll probably try another retailer just to spread the wealth around, meanwhile I have some electronic items on my plate that'll likely go to SW.

P.S. Fireballs have stood the test of time! Like hand grenades. I've been around long enough to proceed with caution
Zager ZAD-50E
Ovation something something 1980s
Epiphone Texan
Les Paul Studio

AGF Open Mic Facebook Group
Old 02-23-2021, 06:06 PM

I guess I missed it...

What was wrong with the OP's Guild?
Kremona "Kiano"
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10
Eastman Pagelli PG2
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120-1959
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Voyage Air OM4

Ukuleles:
Kanilea K3 Koa Super Concert
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Mainland Tenor
Willie Wixom Tenor
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 PM

In my personal interactions, I haven't had a problem with Sweetwater. They've been good business partners - and it's good to remember that that is exactly what they are - business partners. Putting a cheerful face on taking your money is nicer than what you get at a lot of places for sure, but the bottom line is the same as with any other vendor: you're paying them for a product. Their prices mostly aren't better, their product availability isn't much better than other large vendors either. I'm not being negative - I like them and I use them for purchases large and small - I'm just being realistic. They have a business model that works for them and people seem to like it. You can't please everyone, but the illusion of being special is better than the reality of being just another sale, and it's an unusual and successful idea in these times.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion