The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-30-2024, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Dogal Maestrale Strings (treble set)

Almost every set of strings I've ever tried have had good sounding bass sets, but I've never really ever found a good set of treble strings (G, B, E) that didn't sound like flat plastic. I just spent up to get some high tension Dogal Maestrale which I guess are made from some kind of unique material that is used in the medical industry. They look good and feel good but they also sound like flat noodles, mainly on the G and B string. High E is mostly fine, but the G and B string just always seem to lack any kind of bite or definition. I'm thinking about trying Diamante, or something flourocarbon. Is there any string brand and model I should look for that has a high enough tension for the G and B string and has more definition? Maybe it's my guitar or my technique, but I've always been disappointed on just those two strings on every brand/model I've ever tried.
1960's Mitchel Parlor Guitar
1930's unknown Parlor Guitar
---
2009 Warmoth Stratocaster
2021 Fender American Precision Bass
Old 01-31-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar & Sound View Post
Almost every set of strings I've ever tried have had good sounding bass sets, but I've never really ever found a good set of treble strings (G, B, E) that didn't sound like flat plastic. I just spent up to get some high tension Dogal Maestrale which I guess are made from some kind of unique material that is used in the medical industry. They look good and feel good but they also sound like flat noodles, mainly on the G and B string. High E is mostly fine, but the G and B string just always seem to lack any kind of bite or definition. I'm thinking about trying Diamante, or something flourocarbon. Is there any string brand and model I should look for that has a high enough tension for the G and B string and has more definition? Maybe it's my guitar or my technique, but I've always been disappointed on just those two strings on every brand/model I've ever tried.
I'd suggest the D'addario carbon set. Bright without the shrillness of the others.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:00 AM

Try a few different Aquila treble sets. They make several types that have very typical/different sound. They also tend to have less difference in tension across the strings. Some you could try:
- Ambra 900 HT - one of their nylgut formulas, very similar to real gut, intended for period instruments but interesting on a modern guitar too
- Sugar - made from sugarcane. Very bright and sweet, not as sharp/clinical sounding as most "carbon" strings. Very stretchy too.
- Alchemia - a mix of nylgut and Sugar: powerful.
- Rubino - my favourite. Nylgut that is loaded with metal powder to increase its density so the strings can be thinner. Don't like burrs or anything irregular on the saddle or in the nutslot though. The trebles of the Martin Magnifico set are almost the same.

If the Rubino trebles still sound too plasticky for you you'll probably have to buy a set of the Thomastik S-Classic trebles (steel rope-cores with a nylon tape winding). I actually quite like them: the G in particular sounds fantastic IMO, but the B and esp. the E are too low tension to my taste (and thus a bit too jangly).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical