The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-02-2020, 03:33 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Count me jealous. This looks like a blast. Can't think of a better way to spend a week. Looking real good!
Old 09-02-2020, 05:48 AM

What an amazing project! This is a lot of fun to follow.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
What an awesome project and opportunity. I've never heard of Tucrensis. Can you elaborate on that wood? It certainly looks beautiful!

Looking like a top notch build. Your Senseis must be proud.
Tucarensis (I've also seen it spelled as tucarensis) is a true rosewood (dalbergia) that is often referred to as Guatemalan rosewood. It can be confused for Honduran rosewood (dalbergia stevensonii) but is not as dense in fact on average its one of the lightest rosewoods, on the opposite end of the spectrum as cocobolo and African blackwood.

Much has been said about tucarensis on this forum (Bruce definitely comes to mind) and I'm sure that contributed aot to my attraction towards it. Speaking of, I was immediately drawn to this set by its figure and the fact that it's quartersawn. It appears I picked a winner Steve has commented on how pretty it is multiple times!
Old 09-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Smile What a cool experience

Congratulations!!! What an outstanding experience.
Absolutely gorgeous Woods.
I must say that you are much more bold than I. I would expect to be paralyzed by worry... and I TRY not to worry at all.

Give my regards to your mentors! You certainly chose well!!!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-02-2020, 10:31 PM

Thank you Dennis and Paul! Day 3 had its share of ups and downs or a more appropriate phrase would be peaks and valleys since that's how Ryan said to best approach cutting into the wood with a rasp. Here are some other observations:

1) Madagascar Rosewood does not smell good. Kingwood on the other hand is quite nice
2) Driving the bus sucks. Big time. Uber next time please!
3) Using a chisel is still difficult but on the second day it felt slightly more familiar
4) Closing the box is a surreal experience

Enough with the chit chat, let's get to the pictures!

Here is the back glued to the sides.

Carving a finger brace without carving into my finger

Cutting the fretboard to shape
Old 09-02-2020, 10:42 PM

Here are the highlights from day 3:

Top fully carved and ready to go

Surreal Moment #1 - My name on a label. Never thought I'd see that

Surreal Moment #2 - closing of the box. I've seen this countless times on agf but here it is in front of me

I encourage anyone intrigued by this to contact Ryan and Steve to sign up for your own build but don't wait too long I'm already thinking about #2!
Old 09-03-2020, 06:26 AM

Wow! Kudos, sir! I can't wait to see what day 4 brings. Having muddled through the process myself without somebody looking over my shoulder I'm envious of your progress and marveling at how well it's turning out. This is something I'd love to do for my own bucket list as well. How did you talk them into letting you do this? I'd really like to know.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:23 PM

That looks beautiful. What a great opportunity to work with first rate luthiers.

But... why seven days?
Old 09-03-2020, 03:45 PM

This is so cool!! Thank you for sharing your experience. It's also just looking so beautiful!! Wow... What a great thing to be doing .

beth
Old 09-03-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Wow! Kudos, sir! I can't wait to see what day 4 brings. Having muddled through the process myself without somebody looking over my shoulder I'm envious of your progress and marveling at how well it's turning out. This is something I'd love to do for my own bucket list as well. How did you talk them into letting you do this? I'd really like to know.
Thanks Neil! As to how this happened? Let's just say it took countless emails and texts that wore down (or convinced if you're a glass half full person) Ryan. All kidding aside, as I said in my first post this has been a dream of mine and I think both Ryan and Steve had their own vision of creating a program to share their craft with interested students. I'm just lucky that our stars aligned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
That looks beautiful. What a great opportunity to work with first rate luthiers.

But... why seven days?
Couldn't have said it better myself Vance. Your guitar has been the topic of discussion multiple times this week, including today. As for seven days, I won't speak for Ryan but i think the concept is to offer a program similar to others out there but with the level of detail that Steve and Ryan have in their build. For example, I was able to pick from any of their body shapes with customized wood choices whereas other programs mandate the use of a specific kit, usually an OM. There are some components left off here that come with their commissions (like mitered purflings) but I am fully confident this guitar will have the same tone and mojo as all of their builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
This is so cool!! Thank you for sharing your experience. It's also just looking so beautiful!! Wow... What a great thing to be doing .
beth
Thank you Beth I hope you are doing well and that your recovery is coming along smoothly.

Some Day 4 observations:
1) Cutting into something you just created is a counter-intuitive experience
2) There are a myriad of steps/processes involved in the creation of an acoustic guitar at this level of craftsmanship. While I have appreciated it, I will not take it for granted going forward
3) Sanding the sides to a level surface is almost as unpleasant as driving the bus
4) Three guitar bodies arrived in the mail back from Tony. All three are breathtaking and I can't wait to hear them as part of Steve and Ryan's experiment.
5) We all got a splinter today. I felt like it was my rite of passage and I had my three musketeers moment. All for one and one for all!

Last edited by vpolineni; 09-03-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:39 PM

Ok on to some pictures!

Drilling into the neck to install the threaded inserts for the bolts

Here is the neck with the fretboard glued on

Scraping the sides to a level surface

Steve scraping custom made purfling for a commissioned build

The most gorgeous set of Amazon Rosewood I've ever seen. How has this not been spoken for??? (ignore the glare on the left the right side is more indicative of the true color)
Old 09-03-2020, 10:48 PM

Cutting channels for binding on the body. This wasn't nerve-wracking, not at all...

Steve showing me how to glue purfling to the top

Here it is... after 4 days we have a closed box with purfling and binding!

You may be wondering how someone like me could do this, even with expert supervision and guidance. Well, I'll let you in on the secret:

These are, no joke, some of the best cookies I've ever had. I think Billie knows her cookies are the brain fuel that makes this happen and it's not a coincidence we've all had them each day to cap off our lunch!
Old 09-04-2020, 05:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
Day 2 is in the books and I want to say thanks to Steve, Billie, and Ryan for their hospitality. Steve and Ryan have been extremely patient, explaining each step guiding me along the way and special thanks to Billie for the greatest reuben sandwich I've ever had!
Billie is one of the best cooks anywhere. She rivals Steve and Ryan with her kitchen creativity. Now you can count me as jealous as well.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 09-04-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:27 PM

Hey Vasu! Congratulations! This looks like the best time ever And the Tucarensis looks great too
Old 09-04-2020, 04:46 PM

Hey Vasu,
I remember talking to you a few years back and you were dreaming of building a guitar. I am happy to see you finally doing it. You are in great hands. Careful though, it is addictive.
Enjoy!
Travis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop