The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-24-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
A bit unrelated... but I understand the color choice... so if I may... simply mesmerizing !
I agree Lonzo - a great choice by Mr Simpson!
Old 07-24-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimak View Post
Lovely stuff. Absolutely love a good build thread!
Thanks Al - glad you're enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
What a great set of ABW!

Loving this build--thanks for sharing the process!
Thank you! Always love working with ABW - great to have you along for the journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I guess it makes sense, perfected all your work on the B'sox guitar, I suppose Martin wants in on that too!!!
That's exactly it Tom! Great hear from you, hope you are both well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I've been a fan of your work since Ian's gathering two years ago. We talked at Ian's thing last year and I played Martin's guitar last fall. I am eagerly following this thread.

It is not clear when I'll be able to get back to the UK but I'm looking forward to that day. We will talk, for sure.

Al
Hi Al, it was lovely to meet you at Ian's - shame we didn't get back this year, hopefully soon though! Great to see you are following along, do keep in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Here was me thinking he needs another development round ahead of the build for the most important Martin next year...

Although I suspect I'm somewhat easier to please than Mr Simpson
You are correct Martin!! Haha all roads converge next year for your build! Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks at the workshop.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Default Part 4 - Side Unit, Soundboard and Back

Hi everyone,

Hope you've all had a good week. This week (as the post title suggests!) it's been all about the side unit, soundboard and back. If some of you were wondering what we were planning with the Kingfisher Blue, then hopefully this will shed a little light!

First up was to get the rosette started. I have been using the technique of fading wood with hot sand for the last 4 years, this is an old marquetry technique used to give pieces a 3 dimensional look i.e. with leaves or flowers. I'm sure many of you are familiar with Michael Bashkin's work, he uses this technique too.

batch_IMG_7473.jpg batch_IMG_7474.jpg

batch_IMG_7476.jpg batch_IMG_7493.jpg

All the major detailing on this guitar will be Scottish Burr Elm. This combined with the Kingfisher Blue has Martin and I jabbering with excitement.

batch_IMG_7498.jpg batch_IMG_7505.jpg

batch_IMG_7517.jpg

While the various stages of the rosette were taking place, we were also busy staining sides and bracing the back with the compression braces.

batch_IMG_7512.jpg batch_IMG_7515.jpg

batch_IMG_E7492.jpg batch_IMG_7496.jpg

One of the key considerations that any builder has to take care of is wood movement. Wood moves and will continue to move throughout its life. If you know this and you understand what direction it will move, then you can make components that will allow this to happen without affecting the instrument. I apply this knowledge to the neck block.

As you can see from the above picture, the neck block is made up of multiple layers of wood, mahogany in this case. Their direction is crucial to ensure a stable neck joint. There is no grain on the neck block running in the same direction as the back, sides and front. A cross-grain glue joint will always be more stable.

batch_IMG_7522.jpg batch_IMG_7523.jpg

batch_IMG_7525.jpg batch_IMG_E7531.jpg

The side unit of the guitar has come together nicely. When doing a cutaway, I have always mitred the joint simply because I love to see the grain run round the corner of the cutaway and I don't bind this area. Although you cannot see this in the pictures, there is a fillet of wood that runs at 90 degrees to the mitre faces, once glued, this makes the joint incredibly robust - kind of like putting a biscuit in a joint - not of the 'dunking in tea' variety!

Once the neck block and tail block are on, the side unit is almost complete. One of the major features that I have changed recently is running a sister lining around the top edge of the rim. This gives the top a hard edge to vibrate from.

batch_IMG_E7520.jpg

Over the last 14 years, I have slowly built-up my collection of key machinery ranging from an Altendorf table saw to a Felder planer thicknesser and wide-belt sander. While all these machines are wonderful, the final thicknessing and tuning of any soundboard and back has to be done by hand.

batch_IMG_E7566.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed this update, we're off now, have a great weekend!
Old 07-24-2020, 11:48 AM

I love that rosette Rory! The blue really pops! Thanks for taking the time to document and update us on not just the build, but your processes and the thinking behind them. Really enjoying this thread!
Old 08-12-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I love that rosette Rory! The blue really pops! Thanks for taking the time to document and update us on not just the build, but your processes and the thinking behind them. Really enjoying this thread!
So pleased your enjoying it! We had a wee break last week but back to it now. More to follow soon.
All the very best, Rory
Old 08-12-2020, 06:09 AM

Hi all,

I had a good catch up with Martin yesterday. He's been super busy of late but wanted to post here and has asked me if I can post on his behalf. This is from the man himself.

" I commissioned my first custom built acoustic guitar in 1975, and since then I’ve had wonderful instruments built by some of the best makers in the history of steel string luthiery.
Some years ago Rory Dowling came to my attention, young, ambitious and searching, I enjoyed watching his progress. Five years ago or thereabouts Rory started to visit so we could, guess what? Talk about guitars. I played him some of my favourites, including a 1931 Martin 00018 12 fret, a truly astonishing guitar. Rory went away and built a guitar inspired by the Martin, not for me to keep, but for me to react to. I have the 3rd guitar Rory built as part of the inspiration of the Martin, it is a gem.
However, at my Workshop last November, one of my students brought a further developed guitar in the series which blew my head off. Currently Rory is building a guitar for me based on that guitar and it is extraordinary and beautiful. There is an attention to fine detail in Rory’s work which I have seen in few builders. I frankly cannot wait to see this guitar finished!"
Martin Simpson

If you would like to ask Martin any questions regarding the build please let me know and I'll relay them to him.

More on the build to follow very soon!
All the very best and thank you for following,
Rory

Last edited by TaranGuitars; 08-13-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:28 AM

This is exciting.. I have one of these coming my way hopefully early next year, thanks to Ben at TNAG. Rory, outside of choosing materials and aesthetics, FWIW I intend to stay out of your way so you can build the best instrument you know how to make today (or whenever the build begins). I like surprises. Can't wait!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 AM

Rory,

I love hearing the way your relationship with Martin grew, and how you continued to hone the design his 0000-18 inspired. This thread is such a cool glimpse into the furthering of that relationship and process. Thanks for bringing us in!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 AM

Late to this thread, but what a great read !
Having heard Mr. Simpson in concert last fall, the music he made on that Taran was simply jaw dropping
.- What a musician, what a guitar !
Don
Old 08-13-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranGuitars View Post
Hi all,

I had a good catch up with Martin yesterday. He's been super busy of late but wanted to post here and has asked me if I can post on his behave. This is from the man himself.

" I commissioned my first custom built acoustic guitar in 1975, and since then I’ve had wonderful instruments built by some of the best makers in the history of steel string luthiery.
Some years ago Rory Dowling came to my attention, young, ambitious and searching, I enjoyed watching his progress. Five years ago or thereabouts Rory started to visit so we could, guess what? Talk about guitars. I played him some of my favourites, including a 1931 Martin 00018 12 fret, a truly astonishing guitar. Rory went away and built a guitar inspired by the Martin, not for me to keep, but for me to react to. I have the 3rd guitar Rory built as part of the inspiration of the Martin, it is a gem.
However, at my Workshop last November, one of my students brought a further developed guitar in the series which blew my head off. Currently Rory is building a guitar for me based on that guitar and it is extraordinary and beautiful. There is an attention to fine detail in Rory’s work which I have seen in few builders. I frankly cannot wait to see this guitar finished!"
Martin Simpson

If you would like to ask Martin any questions regarding the build please let me know and I'll rely them to him.

More on the build to follow very soon!
All the very best and thank you for following,
Rory
Great Stuff, Rory!

Can't wait for the next post.

Onwards and upwards.

Ali.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
This is exciting.. I have one of these coming my way hopefully early next year, thanks to Ben at TNAG. Rory, outside of choosing materials and aesthetics, FWIW I intend to stay out of your way so you can build the best instrument you know how to make today (or whenever the build begins). I like surprises. Can't wait!
Great to meet you and thank you so much for ordering. Very much looking forward to hearing more about what you are looking for and starting your build!
Old 08-15-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Rory,

I love hearing the way your relationship with Martin grew, and how you continued to hone the design his 0000-18 inspired. This thread is such a cool glimpse into the furthering of that relationship and process. Thanks for bringing us in!
Thanks for following! It's been a journey for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
Late to this thread, but what a great read !
Having heard Mr. Simpson in concert last fall, the music he made on that Taran was simply jaw dropping
.- What a musician, what a guitar !
Don
Thanks Don! I saw Martin live for the first time nearly 15 years ago and the day after, I bought the wood for my first guitar build. He melted my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimak View Post
Great Stuff, Rory!

Can't wait for the next post.

Onwards and upwards.

Ali.
Wouldn't be here without you mate.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I was at that November workshop that Martin mentioned. I've enjoyed talking with you and watching the evolution of your guitarmaking over the last couple of years at Ian's party. You are on my short list for sure, once international travel becomes feasible again!
Old 08-16-2020, 09:25 PM

I must admit, that Kingfisher Blue is striking!
Old 08-17-2020, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

I have to say, this guitar is going to be an absolute knockout for Martin, and I can't wait to hear it in his hands. I have owned a few ABW guitars now, including a 25.4-26.25 fanfret with Italian spruce for the soundboard...and boy, does it knock my socks off!

I've always liked Martin's touch and with the added low-end "push" of the ABW and clarity of the Adi this will no doubt be a winner...

Hope to hang soon, Rory.
Enjoy the woodshedding

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop